TheBigRace0Michael Brick, a former New York Times Reporter, just published an ebook about Hoka Hey.

He wrote to me: “Since you’ve been the source of the most comprehensive and definitive coverage of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, I thought you might like to know about my account of the 2011 running.”

The Kindle purchase price is only $1.99 and of course I strongly recommend you download or print it. by jumping to the “The Big Race“. I publish below the introduction content.

(Hoka Challenge organizer James G. Durham (Big Jim a.k.a Jim Red Cloud) stated that this year will be the last edition of his transcontinental race, starting June 23rd, 2013 in Irving, New-York.

thebigrace1thebigrace2thebigrace3

16 Responses to “Hoka Hey Challenge. A Former New York Times Reporter Tells His Account On The Transcontinental Motorcycle Race.”

1. 1 bigitch May 3rd, 2013 at 8:54 am

ah!… south park (the cartoon show on tv) where all the indians laugh the same way

2. 2 Rodent May 3rd, 2013 at 9:12 am

Remember the movie “The Sting”? As I read this the tune is running through my head!

3. 3 Shifter May 3rd, 2013 at 9:51 am

Want to know more. Will download this evening.

4. 4 Brent May 3rd, 2013 at 10:00 am

I remember Cyril doing a great reporting job on Hoka Hey. Where were the other magazines? Answer: kissing ass to get advertising. There was so many red flags regarding this illegal race. There was only one purpose. Not the Indian cause, not charities. Just to enrich its organizer. All lies permitted.

5. 5 Blackmax May 3rd, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Cyril has done extensive coverage of this joke of an event
    The organizer(s) will find out (hopefully (sooner than later) that “Payback is a Mutha”

6. 6 rebel May 3rd, 2013 at 3:58 pm

The first red flag is using that bar & shield ! Nothing else like THE HORSE stampede of yesteryear, no BS.

7. 7 Bear May 4th, 2013 at 9:57 am

First thing, I believe Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is in South Dakota not North Dakota . Is there suppose to be a fact check before reporting or publishing?

8. 8 Martin Twofeather May 5th, 2013 at 1:32 am

Pine Ridge is in South Dakota

9. 9 Larry Murray May 6th, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hmm, wondering if the negative detractors above did the ride…

It made a change in my life. I was there in 2011 as well. I was on R&R from my contractor job in Afghanistan. I had carried some guilt from something that happened when I was in Iraq. When Jim talked about how this ride would be spiritual, I thought to myself yeah, ok…, I just want to ride my bike through the States and into Canada..,then something happened to me outside of the Black Hills as I left Sturgis and rode to the Reservation, Through the exhaustion of the ride, as the day to day noise fell away, things that I had kept buried came to the surface, my guilt was relieved, the burden taken from me.

Personal Plug-I am not a writer, but I felt compelled to write my story, I have been selling it locally at biker events, it will be available in the next month on Amazon. It is titled “Tales of the DeadMan of the 2011 Hoka Hey Challenge”. And yes, I did finish the ride, you can find me at number 23 on the finishers list. I am doing it again this year, you can talk shit all you want, but until you come do it yourself your words carry no weight…

10. 10 Rebecca Mitchell May 6th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Big Jim is a POS that still owes me money. He is a scam artist from hell!

11. 11 spmac May 6th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Interesting he doesn’t know where pine ridge is being an ex New York times reporter. The two poorest counties in the US are on it, and a hundred different issues that the New York times could expose. I followed the Hoka Hey,know people who competed and met the winner, the whole event was very very fishy.

12. 12 matt klebe May 7th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I did the Hoka Hey for the first time in 2012 and had a really great ride. We rode on some of the best roads in the country, finished within the time allotted and was given money for participating. If they had a couples class, I would have come in first. There were a lot of people who rode in all three challenges and I am sure we will see them at Wolfs Run for this years ride

As far as I’m concerned, Jim and Beth are straight up – they even told us at the beginning of the ride that they didn’t want us to finish in the money (they had fun watching us ride in circles). You cannot tell me that it is a scam, hoax or what ever crap the guys that sit on their ass and talk shit may say.

Jim and Beth put a ton of time and effort into planning the rides, setting up the check points and routes. If you enjoy riding your bike all day, sleeping a couple of hours then riding your bike all day and repeat that for a week – you will enjoy the Hoka Hey Challenge.

I will read this guys e-book but having been there and done it – he won’t change my opinion of either the Hoka Hey Challenge or Jim and Beth

a Fox once said “it’s all about the ride, it’s all about the ride ”

see you on the road Matt

13. 13 Ashley May 7th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Except that I understand that Big Jim a.k.a. Smoke & Mirrors is currently being sued for fraud by the same 2011 & 2012 winner.

14. 14 matt klebe May 7th, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I think what Will Barclay did was impressive However rules need to be followed He was paid for 2010 and the fact that all the riders who finished in the time period excepted the outcome in 2011 That should tell you something about Hoka Hey Challenge and the riders who continue to ride in it
    HOKA HEY

15. 15 Bella Lagossi May 26th, 2013 at 3:32 am

Hello,

I am very familiar with all of the events of the Hoka Hey. I was a key member of the production team that my boss told me to shelf based on the honestly of the film. I red Michaels book and it certainly portrays the event and Big Jim with all the specticism it deserved. Although i felt he mis represented himself, mis quote me and Davi Rioma, the producer of the documentary and was clearly a poor writer and reporter. Cyril, being an insider that knows more than I should, o would like the opportunity to write something for your site, confirming many beliefs and clearing up others.

This event hurt a lot of people and they deserve to know whatever canbe legally discussedt. Not from an untalented, disconnected wannabe journalist that barely embeded himself enough to get any more info than what you can find on the web. Michaels Bricks was shunned out by Jim and the riders, left to contrive his own ideas and much of his so called story-called true story is defamatory embelishment.

16. 16 Hark Aug 26th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I have written about the Hoka Hey a coupld times in Rebel Rider Magazine. I knew Chuck Lynn from Mt. Dora Florida who died in the first Hoka Hey. I probably know more then I need to about this RACE. I am not for it…I am could care less about Red who ever he calls himself and think this race needs a major overhaul beginning with you can only guess. You can go on line and check out past issues where we covered the event.