Born-Free 5 Bike Show Winners

PowerplantNoise-CyclesThe 5th edition of the California one-day Vintage Chopper And Classic Cycle Show was held on June 29. Bike show winners were:

Builder’s Choice Award (top). Yaniv “Neevo” Evan from Powerplant Choppers with a custom built Harley Panhead engine cradle in a beautiful hand-made chassis.

Best Of Show (left): Scott “T-Bone” Jones from Noise Cycles. Another rebuilt Panhead (year 1952) with one-off bodywork.

16 Responses to “Born-Free 5 Bike Show Winners”

1. 1 Jerry Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:32 am

It’s an interesting event. But when the big block party turns commercial it’s the beginning of the end. Hoe it will not happen.

2. 2 Blitz Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Nice sled Yaniv Evan.

3. 3 Terence Tory Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Neat.

4. 4 Septic the Sceptic Jul 16th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I’m sure Jessee didn’t dis Born Free. I mean, someone that lost to Paul Jr … twice, wouldn’t be so arrogant would they?

5. 5 W Jul 16th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I went to this show and enjoyed it quite a bit. What struck me was how many young men and women came to this bike show. Predominantly the crowd were folks in the 20-40 demographic just having a good time, looking at cool motorcycles and buying stuff from vendors. Very unusual.

The organizers of this show, the vendors and the builders that came to this event definitely seem to have their finger on the pulse of the young generation, and their ability to attract this market demo will surely be studied very closely by major players in the motorcycle industry that need to grow their market share in this demo in order to survive.

Other than that it was just a great party and tons of motorcycle eye candy. Props to Powerplant for being such nice guys too on top of creating an amazing bike. Kudos all around for all the other bike builders as well for their impressive bikes. No shortage of talent and creativity in that show pen.

This was my third Born Free and I look forward to seeing BF6.

6. 6 Cowboy Jul 16th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Great show, but the traffic getting in there was brutal!

7. 7 Doc Robinson Jul 17th, 2013 at 7:34 am

Yaniv and Powerplant rock!

8. 8 ali Jul 17th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This was one of the most unquie shows I have ever been to. Fantastic bikes, I wanted to take home a couple of them. The crowd was great to mingle with, seemed like a family day. Good entertainment too. I was very impressed with the products shown by the venders, very creative and artful. Venders all seemed very knowledgable as well. The other thing I liked was that the event didn’t seem commercial it was artistic and exciting at every turn, I can’t wait till next year.
    I hope BF6 will have a 2nd day next year to enjoy more, it might thin down the crowd and bring in more people in two days. nYou really couldn’t see it all in one day, I even like looking at the new bikes in the parking area. The soda, food and beer prices were way too high….otherwise great!!!

9. 9 Bowhunterjoe Jul 17th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Regardless of any”scene” or style of people, it’s so awesome to have motorcycles built like the ones for born free and on my coast, the Brooklyn invitational.its all about the work for me.i easily ignore the B.S. if the work is impressive.i love the lack of super gloss and attention to functional parts with style.satin aluminum and older motors,with some machinist inovation thrown in.unfortunatly anything cool is going to attract more crowds and commercial greed.no matter the people and any negatives ,much respect to the efforts of the bike builders who built a bike for themselves first and a show second .plus guys who do bikes soup to nuts themselves and contract out very little.not a lot of catalog parts but parts these joes might offer a few of from their own shops.the lifelong moto obsessed will always appreciate.the inspiration makes me get a lot of work done.thanks

10. 10 Blackmax Jul 17th, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Good to see the youngbloods doing their own thing
    Give credit where credit is due….
    Without them this industry will die !!!
    I like JJ, but he’s dead wrong on dissing these guys / shops…..

11. 11 nicker Jul 17th, 2013 at 11:04 pm

The roots.
    How cool is that……..!!!

-nicker-

12. 12 bobby Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

This has become THE premiere show in the US. Over 15k people showed up for this one day event. I’ve been to nearly every show in the US, this is by far the best. I am surprised at the very limited coverage on this blog. There is a very thriving scene of young vintage builders. Even HD is finally seeing the light.

Hands down best builders on the scene today. So many amazing bikes.

Power-plant was peoples choice, NOT builders choice.

Yes, JJ did “diss” the show and the builders via his Instagram feed. popeofwelding you can read for yourself.

13. 13 Bean're Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:26 am

You forgot to mention Kevin “Teach” Baas who won “Best Panhead” with a dual Linkert powered
    panhead

14. 14 Boston Jon Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:28 am

Joey Cano of San Antonio was the builders choice winner at born free 5 with his “knarrow knuckle.”

15. 15 Kevin "TEACH" Baas Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Bean’re

16. 16 Grant Aug 8th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Oh, and we did have many award winners, but some how the list of winners didn’t make it out of the event safely, so feel free to shout em out here!

Plus, one lucky guy took home his choice of 18 of our invited builder bikes for $25, he chose Jason Sheets’ very classy and cool 1931 Harley VL.

Thanks again!