Cyril-Huze-Indian-Motorcycle1Sturgis August 3, 2013 at 8 pm mountain time. Probably the most important event in decades for the motorcycle industry. The Worldwide reveal of the all-new Indian Chief at the Sturgis Museum (Main Street & Junction Avenue.)

Preparing for such an event requires methodic organization and contingency planning not only by the Indian Motorcycle people (lots of them), but also by the Sturgis police. Exceptionally, at the unveiling location, you will be able to buy beverages in a Beer Parden in a parking lot to the east of the museum and will be allowed to take them into the public right of way in front of the museum, (only from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 3.)

On July 15 the Sturgis City Council, on a split vote, approved the necessary special Indian event liquor license. Although he has 30 years of experience at contingency planning during the Sturgis rally, Police Chief Jim Bush is somewhat worried at the prospect of those legally authorized to drink during 3 hours front of the museum during the Indian reveal, filling up Main Street with their open containers.

City Manager Daniel Ainslie said that while half of the proceeds from beer sales will go to the museum to help offset the loss of income from not having outside vendors during this year’s rally, he is worried that letting people drink in the street sets a precedent. Dave Davis, a Rapid City insurance agent and chairman of the museum board of directors, said it would be nice, but not necessary, to open up the street for the beer party. But he would understand if the council was uncomfortable with that request. Will a fence marks which side you can drink or not in an open container? Not sure, yet. But whatever the definitive rules, drink with moderation, enjoy the party and arrive early: during the event, all the 900 block of Main Street in front of the museum will be closed to all traffic and motorcycle parking. See you there on August 3rd.

47 Responses to “Sturgis Police Contingency Planning During The All-New Indian Launch On August 3rd”

1. 1 Hank Dillon Jul 24th, 2013 at 8:33 am

Bad boys are everywhere…

2. 2 Hank Dillon Jul 24th, 2013 at 8:35 am

Indian offering reserved seats? LOL.

3. 3 Rodent Jul 24th, 2013 at 9:01 am

It will be a clusterf**k

4. 4 BadMonkeyMW Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:16 am

“Probably the most important event in decades for the motorcycle industry. The Worldwide reveal of the all-new Indian Chief at the Sturgis Museum”

Hahahaha, really?? Most important event in decades??? I mean, it’s pretty cool and everything, but who the hell wrote that line and just how out of touch are they with the motorcycle industry?

Good luck to Indian, just try to keep the hyperbole under control.

5. 5 Hank Dillon Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:25 am

BadMonkeyMW. Curious to know what was for you the most important motorcycle event of the last decades. Just tell us.

6. 6 Mike Greenwald Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:36 am

Rodent,
    So, we can count on you. You will be there?
    Mike

7. 7 Rodent Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:46 am

The most important motorcycle event of the last decades was July 4, 1947.

8. 8 Ronnie Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:50 am

Rodent. Tell us the reason why you can’t go to Sturgis.

9. 9 666 Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:52 am

Fortunately for the cops they have had several indian launches in Sturgis to get experience ! Whats this number four ? five ? Yikes what a joke

10. 10 BobS Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:42 am

Yes, curious what other’s feel is a more important event in the last decade or two…The release of the Twin Cam? The rise and fall of American Choppers? Brammo and Zero releasing electric bikes? I can think of one thing in the last couple decades I would consider a major event, the launch of Victory motorcycles. Lots of other good and interesting things happening, but not much else I would call a “major event”.

11. 11 Hank Dillon Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Rodent. July 4, 1947. Probably your birth date. Ha, ha.

12. 12 ian Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I think the sentence was missing a word “Probably the most important event in decades for the (American) motorcycle industry. The Worldwide reveal of the all-new Indian Chief at the Sturgis Museum”
    A lot has happened elsewhere in the motorcycling world

13. 13 Rodent Jul 24th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hank Dillon
    Obviously you’re not a real biker!

14. 14 Rodent Jul 24th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Ronnie,
    nobody wants to pay me enough to go to Sturgis

15. 15 Chris Jul 24th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I had to look up July 4, 1947. Guess I’m not a real biker either. Dammit. Glad I didn’t drop a bunch of dough on a leather vest and “I rode mine” patches and HD t-shirts and HD boots with the big buckle and bandanas and the rest of the costume. Thanks for the heads up.

16. 16 666 Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Rumor has it that the next indian owners are really going to have a big to do. That comes in about 2018 if all goes as it usually does

17. 17 Rodent Jul 24th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

The Polaris dealer meeting will be at the Washington Gaylord the 29th-31. If you have a buddy going there have him photo message pictures of the new Indian and you’ll scoop the world!

18. 18 KSW Jul 24th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

WOW! Maybe that will mean no officers pulling us over for not having eye protection when we’re wearing clear glasses the ticket us saying we put them on when they weren’t looking. The only reason I go to Sturgis is because I’m working otherwise I don’t get the fun of a Police State. I could say the same thing about Laguna Seca this past weekend as well.

K

19. 19 Blackmax Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Seems like a lot of to-do about nothing ….
    Long day waiting for the unveiling, big crowd of varying persuations & alcohol
    Sound like a recipe for a disaster
    Damn, I wish I was going to be there, but like Rodent, no one is paying me to go !

20. 20 Septic the Sceptic Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

The re-re-re-re-re-launch of Indian will more of the same old same old.

21. 21 courtney Jul 24th, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Oh. My. God.

The suspense is absolutely retching. The brand new Indian Chief model ‘E’ fiinnnaaallllyyy taking center stage amidst so much pomp and circumstance — I frankly don’t think I can handle it….

22. 22 Rick Lossner Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Whole you’ve all been jerking off to HD pictures , Polaris stock has doubled since they purchased Indian 2 yrs ago

Up up up…

23. 23 SLAMMER Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:00 am

Hey “rodent” were you at Hollister in 47?Doubt it so I guess that makes you not a real biker also!!

24. 24 CallMeRabbit Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:33 am

Not sure what the Roswell incident has to do with being a real biker but if weather balloons are involved in the consideration I’ll just keep riding everyday and you can count me the Fuck out.

25. 25 ROGUE Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:17 am

KSW and others who get stopped while in Sturgis and the surrounding area for offenses are requested to Notify ABATE of South Dakota.

The following is on their website

Contact us if you feel you have been treated unfairly by government agencies during the rally…if you are stopped by law enforcement and didnt deserve it, get us a copy of the citation or warning with as much relevant detail as you can.
    If you were stopped for an equipment related issue but after they discovered you
    (for example) were not a dui candidate and you were let go without a citation, also notify us of that, we need a paper trail to justify complaint.

Remember, be safe!
    The website is http://abatesd.com/

26. 26 Bago Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:26 am

Polaris has put a variation of a S&S X Wedge triple cam engine (with new look Indian top end), and integrated their Victory style 6 speed tranny into a half ass riding Kings Mountain Indian. Oh ya, they changed the dashboard a bit and added a fuel gauge finally. Hopefully you can see the turn signals now in the sunlight and I’ll place a bet they auto cancel too.

Guys, this is a Kings Mountain Indian Chief with a new engine, tranny, and some updates. It’s $20-25K instead of $27-37K. Put the new Indian next to a current 2009-2013 series and they look close to the same from a distance. Different paint schemes, fringed leather, hard beetle bags, short fender, long fender, whatever. Same drill as the Kings Mountain bikes. It’s still only one model, an Indian Chief.

Polaris has a LONG way to go after this Sturgis revealing. Especially with dealer startups and adding extra mechanics and other staff into existing Victory dealers to handle warranty repair. I’m afraid the Sturgis event will not be all that earth shattering. Reality is you will see a nice Indian Chief with finally a great running power plant for a fair price. This is were the English Stellican guys should have been in 2009. We all know they failed at doing that. Polaris has the cash and talent to get a Kings Mountain bike to were it should have been in the first place. But will that sell thousands and thousands of Chiefs. NOPE!

Of course it will have teething pains just like the Victory bikes had when they first came out. V92 engine problems, clunky tranny problems, etc. Even Harley went through this when they released their new larger twin cam engines and six speed tranny a few years ago.

So congrats to Polaris in taking the risk to turn Indian into what it should be and what people want. This 2014 is just the first steps in that direction. But, if you aren’t blown away in August 3rd, remember I told ya so. When new models like the a Scout, an Inline 4, etc. come out, that’s when Indian will grow and start to be a threat to HD.

But for now, all you are going to see at Sturgis is the natural progression in the rebirth of Indian. The last 2 kids (Gilroy and Kings) had SIDS – sudden infant death syndrome. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm. It’s dumb luck that the reveal is on the 3rd. Maybe the number 3 is lucky for Polaris.

27. 27 Rodent Jul 25th, 2013 at 9:20 am

Slammer
    I said The most important motorcycle event of the last decades was July 4, 1947.
    I didn’t say I was there. If it wasn’t for that event the motorcycle world as we know it would not exist. Harley would probably be gone. The 1% clubs would not exist. And you would not be reading Cyril’s Blog.

28. 28 666 Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:04 am

The launch of the next Failure is a very big deal it seems…..Personally I am waiting for the next launch in or around 2018. I hear they may have some really lame tv stars as the spokes person. Hard to believe you could out do the gilroy guys with branscombe the phony indian or now the american nose picker but they say it will be done

29. 29 Branson Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:11 am

666. Problem is that you know nothing about Indian, are not an expert at judging Polaris efforts, just want to look interesting and you are not. How can you criticize when you didn’t see the bike. What an idiot.

30. 30 Shifter Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:15 am

666 has zero justification to support his point of view. So, I would be him I would shut up.

31. 31 666 Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Time will tell so you sheep may or may not have the last laugh. Odds are in my favor though. History always repeats itself Idiots

32. 32 Manny Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:43 am

So many seem to have a myopic perspective on this… back up a little and see the bigger picture.

A succesful American company, founded and staffed by people who share our passion and enthusiasm for our machines and lifestyle, is investing millions upon millions in a brand that we all love and know deserves to be back on the road and is making the choice to do this event in a way and in a place that maximizes the direction of the monies spent, and the extra money sure to be attracted, into the hands of local people, businesses, organizations and communities that have served riding enthusiasts and bikers for decades upon decades.

Such better news than, for example:
    “XYZ Motorcycles has declared bankruptcy and laid off a hundred Americans.”
    …or…
    “South Korean company known for it’s novelty plastic doo-doo bought Indian Motorcycle is re-launching it in Seoul.”
    …or…
    “City of Sturgis denies Indian the ability to launch it’s new bike in a place of incredibly historic brand significance.”
    …or…
    “Decision made to launch new motorcycle in a totally non-motocycle related location and at a pop-culture event where people could really give a s#!t about motorcycling and just want our money.”

If you can’t see the multitude of good in all this I beg you to switch to another lifestyle/hobby/passion/industry that better suits your outlook…. like plastic doo-doo production maybe.

33. 33 BobS Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:50 am

It only seems like history repeats itself. Things like internet trolls that try and tell you something is a failure before the product is even brought to market…yeah that happens over and over , and on top of that said trolls are always wrong so that can make history seem repetitive. But innovation does exist. Polaris didn’t repeat history when they brought snowmobiles to market. Their innovation in the atv market wasn’t a repeat of history, and their bringing Victory motorcycles to market wasn’t a repeat. Our country in it’s very existence was innovative as are lots of the things that come from it. Like the internet and the computer that trolls like to use to proclaim any such endeavors guarantee’d future failures.

34. 34 Shifter Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Well said Manny. 666 is predicting gloom & doom (no justification!) probably because he is a failure at everything he touches. When you choose 666 as a username, you state a lot about what’s wrong with you.

35. 35 Doc Robinson Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Probably the most important event in decades for the motorcycle industry? The Worldwide reveal of the all-new Indian Chief at the Sturgis Museum (Main Street & Junction Avenue. Not probably, but definitely! Indian has already sold around 150 bikes in Australia, all sight unseen. Manny has summed it up the situation perfectly.

36. 36 Terence Tory Jul 25th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Manny’s words do make sense.All typed on his Asian plastic doo-doo product.I hope all this massive new Indian hype is matched by reality,or will it just trigger a new Indian to pop up out of the ground like a cicada every seventeen years and fly around in circles for a week.There does appear to be a yearly rhythm to how relaunched Indians are thrust into the world.

37. 37 Sturgis Pride Jul 25th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Polaris Industries taking a run at the heritage motorcycle market not significant? If you are an advocate for Indian or not, you have to agree the end consumer benefits from increased competition and choice in the marketplace. This is an exciting time in motorcycling that consumers should embrace. Best of luck to both titanic brands. Round one is set in Sturgis and it looks as if Polaris is inviting you to have a ringside seat. We look forward to seeing you battle it out and may the best bikes win 🙂

38. 38 Septic the Sceptic Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Doc Robinson works for a bike mag and is obviously angling for a freebie. I thought there were only 111 bikes coming to Oz.

39. 39 Seymour Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

It’s hard to argue with idiots. This Indian is Go.

40. 40 Loaf LTR Australia Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Gentlemen, I’m being polite here and not calling you all toilets, Polaris are to be commended for doing this and I feel that they can bring Indian back to the motorcycle market. Polaris have the financial backing/clout to do it so give them a go. As Doc said they have already sold 150 bikes in Australia sight unseen, except for the motor doing a tour of some of the Victory showrooms. And just to let you all know Australia will be having the sheets pulled off an Indian Chief at the same time as it takes place in Sturgis. I’m privileged enough to be present at the Sydney unveiling but wish I could make it to Sturgis. This is one of those motorcycle milestones that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
    Most of you should stop checking your belly buttons for fluff and get your knees in the breeze to lift your spirits and get those positive vibes back.
    Good on ya Manny, Doc and others.

41. 41 P. Bradshaw Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I followed all Cyril’s reports about Indian. I think he has been very factual and honest. No doubt he thinks that Indian will succeed. And he gave his reasons. No naysayer was able to justify why Indian would fail. Conclusion: i believe Cyril is right because he is more qualified than all those who have commented negatively. Will be in Sturgis. Will know right away if I want to order the new Chief.

42. 42 Terence Tory Jul 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am

P.Bradshaw,The naysayers and the yeasayers can’t really justify any of their opinions until the bikes are out of the hypeadrome and faced the real world for a while.Cyril knows his stuff and shoots straight for sure on what I’ve read here,but don’t imagine for one minute that many people who post here are not just as experienced and knowledgeable.Right now Victory’s attitude to warranty would put me off buying a new Chief however good it is to ride.I was keen on getting a High-Ball a month ago until I heard about ultra high parts prices and poor factory backup.

43. 43 morpion Jul 26th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

INDIAN is in,,VICTORY is out

44. 44 Lstar Jul 27th, 2013 at 10:20 am

Anybody that thinks Polaris will fail with the Indian brand needs to pull their head out and do a little research on the company. They were laughed at when they decided to enter the 4 wheeler market and now they are number 2. Polaris is one of the best run company’s in America and they will succeed big time. I can assure you Harley is not laughing these days, they are hearing huge footsteps and they are rightly scared. Things could get real ugly in the used Harley market in the near future. As a long time fan if Victory and stock owner I will enjoy every second of this classic American slugfest.

45. 45 rdawsoniii Jul 29th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I don’t get the attitude of some people in this (and other) Indian threads. Why the hate? It is almost as if you WANT Indian to fail. And maybe you do. Seems to me motorcycle riders sould welcome the addition of another American motorcycle to the mix….competition is a good thing.

Bago….I disagree the new bike will be a King’s Mountain with a new engine and a few updates. If so, why bother with a big unveiling? I would imagine Polaris is not dumb enough to have a big buildup only to show an updated King’s Mountain.

In all honesty, as a soon to be Indian owner, I would LOVE it if the bike looked like the King’s Mountain. What worries me is if the the design has too big of a change. But I am hoping Polaris will stay true to what the Chief has historically looked like, without too much deviation.

46. 46 squirrel Aug 2nd, 2013 at 8:09 am

Hello, We are all a little gun shy after Super X and Nortons latest BS. I am taking a show me position before I get tooo excited to part with my money.

47. 47 All The Kings Men Aug 2nd, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I own two Kings Mountain Indian Chiefs that I have customized with leather and chrome. Everywhere I go, I draw a crowd of dozens. You can say what you want about the “failure” of the Kings Mountain Indian, but I have been offered damn near twice what I paid for one of my Chiefs. I have been at events where, out of 200 bikes, the entire crowd was gathered around my “failure”. I would put either of my Kings Mountain Chiefs up against any of the cookie cutter crap that Harley Davidson is putting out. Oh, wait, I have, and have won hands down, every time. It sounds to me like some of you guys enjoy being surrounded by 87 bikes exactly like yours. It is about time American riders had a choice, and Polaris has the resources to pull it off. Move over, big bloated monopoly. People who appreciate real individuality are about to move in. Get used to it.

Crusher