Harley-Davidson New Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™

FLHTK1Project Rushmore is qualified by Harley-Davidson as “the largest scale new model launch” in its 110-year history. In addition to new electronics, infotainment with touchscreen features, the Rushmore Project includes a long list of upgrades to provide the 2014 Touring & Trike models with more power (more roll-on power, brisker passing performance), and rider control in a variety of situations (Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph, new electronic clutch control requiring less pressure, new front suspension with larger fork sliders and stiffer triple clamps for improved steering response, brilliant headlamps to make the motorcycle conspicuous to others)

What surprised me somewhat among the many press releases provided to the media is the relatively small volume of information given to us regarding the High Output Twin Cam 103 (Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Road King®, Street Glide®, Street Glide® Special, and Electra Glide® Ultra Classic® motorcycle models) and especially on the Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ (featured in the 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models.)

FLHTK2FLHTK3Why so? Is it that Harley-Davidson is conflicted with the necessity of engine development initiatives (giving power hungry bikers what they want while satisfying EPA regulations) and the desire not to scare the Harley purists reticent to any innovation including a liquid cooled engine and its required radiator? The High Outpost Twin Cam 103 is a straightforward improvement with a new camshaft to optimize bottom-end torque and a new high-flow airbox improving legroom and airflow around the rider. It is stated to deliver 5% more torque than the standard Twin Cam 103™ powertrain. The new Harley debate is centered around the Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ version equipping the 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models. Some say sacrilege. Others point out the necessity to make Harleys function better and applaud the company for its engine evolution/innovation.

twincooledhdchNot the first time Harley-Davidson offers a liquid-cooled motorcycle. Since 2001, the V-Rod is equipped with the liquid-cooled Revolution 60° V-Twin engine. But it is on a very different motor developed jointly with Porsche. Two years ago a new patent obtained by Harley with coolant circulating through the cylinder heads was posted in my website and all over the net. Coolant is contained in a a small 1.1 quart radiator. Twin cooling cools the heads around the exhaust ports to deliver at or near peak performance under all operating conditions and temperatures. Harley states a higher compression ratio increasing efficiency and horsepower. The 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models also got a new airbox for increased airflow and a new cam to optimize low-end torque. Harley-Davidson mentions that it’s got the fastest 60 to 80 mph 5th gear roll on in the history of Harley-Davidson, meaning the most passing power. On top of all that, it puts less heat on the rider and passenger on hot days and in stop and go traffic.

Is there reasons for some to feel “offended” by the new Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™? I let you debate. But it’s true that Harley-Davidson will have extreme difficulties to hide a radiator on its cruisers line-up. Except if going for a complete body restyling of all its models. A huge task that may be imposed by EPA regulations that would take years to accomplish. Today, Harley Davidson gives the rationale by stating that a liquid-cooled engine was the only possible evolution of its engine, making the following statement: ““If you started in 1909 with the very first Harley-Davidson V-Twin engine and worked your way up through every engine, every innovation, every improvement, every ride, every durability test in all those years and countless miles since, you arrive at the Twin Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine, the top of the line. 103 cubic inches of air and precision cooled Harley-Davidson®V-twin power.” And of course, we all wonder, what can be next?

62 Responses to “Harley-Davidson New Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™”

1. 1 BobS Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:35 am

I applaud the move. Better is better. My only beef is the “twin-cooled” moniker seems to be aimed at avoiding the use of the word water (it’s not a dirty word) and if they’re going to label something “high output” and promote it’s improved performance…let’s see some numbers! Where’s the dyno chart? how about some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

2. 2 BigWave916 Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:50 am

I appreciate the engineering that has gone into the 2014 model year touring bikes. It was necessary for H-D to get more performance out of these motorcycles without cooking the rider. Cooling the cylinder heads allows for more spark advance, more compression, and larger displacement. They’d gone about as far as they could with cooling fins.

I also like the looks of the new bikes. The air vent/scoop or whatever it is on the fairing looks good to me. However, I won’t be buying one myself for a couple of reasons. I don’t run fairing lowers in the summer months and there have been a few years that I didn’t even put the lowers on my Ultra before it was parked for the snowy months. Can’t do that with the 2014 liquid cooled.

3. 3 BigWave916 Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:56 am

@BobS…..interesting that they’ve even convinced some people, even on this board, that its some sort of “glycol” Yeah, as in ethylene glycol, which is anti-freeze/coolant that is mixed with H2O

4. 4 Toby Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:59 am

Harley is running on the razors edge of brand management with this Twin-Cooled concept. I can see the advertisements from Victory, Indian and US made metrics that will say, “We don’t need water to give you power”…. or “Carrying on the tradition where others have failed…”

Also, as an aside, did anyone notice that the CVO Road King did not get the Twin-Cooled engine? OK, it does not have the lower fairings needed for the radiator, but those lowers were STANDARD last year. Same bike. Same engine as last year. No lowers.

5. 5 LenNY Sinnet Barnett HD Aug 21st, 2013 at 9:24 am

Have these on the dealer floor at work getting heavy positive reaction looking close at the bike there are many changes that are not even on the factory site but must be seen in person.
    LenNY

6. 6 Matt W. Aug 21st, 2013 at 9:28 am

Even though it almost seems as if Harley is being dragged kicking and screaming into modernizing it’s flag ship touring cruisers I applaud the new changes. However the linked brakes could easily be a deal breaker for me if there isn’t a way to override it. Might as well just put a automatic transmission in there too while you’re at it guys ;).

7. 7 Terence Tory Aug 21st, 2013 at 9:43 am

I think this Twin-Cooled motor is merely a cheap stop-gap method of softening up the market to except the inevitability of a radiator on the front down tubes and full water jackets on both barrels and heads.It will cost a hell of a lot of money to design and develop a clean-slate big-inch 4-valve head liquid cooled motor and drive train with traditional looks.I doubt this 103 motor will have a production life of longer than four years.This Twin-Cooled 103 has given H-D timing space and saved them some bucks.If I was on the design team at H-D for future big tourers I would design a low C of G V-four similar in configuration to a Ariel square four or Matchless Silver Hawk with V-8 car-style downdraft EFI inlets going to up to an aircleaner between the tanks.They should also be looking at fitting superchargers on some models for highway torque and for fast street bikes.If the Japs can blow cheap small 660cc trucks to haul boxes of fish up into the mountains,why not put Harleys under pressure?

8. 8 CafeSportyTC Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:32 am

Terence, while i agree we will see a new motor all together in the not too far off future… i think with all your other suggestions your way off point. Harley is Harley, too much deviation and it wont be a Harley, they are walking the fine line well and i think you fail to see that.

9. 9 Rodent Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wish they would take the great V-Rod motor and put it into a real chassis and they’d have a winning combo. Increasing the inches is easy with water cooled motor.

10. 10 morpion Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:48 am

good move HARLEY,,cooler engine and better electronics,,this is what the future is,,, or go buy a air or oil cooled ALTERNATIVE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. 11 Mike Greenwald Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:57 am

The water cooled head is reminiscent of the “Drake” Knucklehead. Possibly. Recall that the “Drake” had an integrated head and cylinder. Thermal expansion rates will be interesting on this new motor. (How are those head bolts doing? Gaskets keeping up with the changes?)

12. 12 Slow Ride Aug 21st, 2013 at 11:13 am

I have some specifications:

2013 103ci has 9.7:1 Compression Ratio with 100ft. lbs of torque @3250 rpm

2014 103ci twin cooled has 10.0:1 Compression Ratio with 105.5ft lbs of torque @3750 rpm.

2014 103ci non twin cooled has 9.7:1 Compression Ratio with 104.7ft. lbs of torque @3250 rpm.

Linked brakes are only active above 25 mph, below 25 mph they are completely independent.

13. 13 deadwood1783 Aug 21st, 2013 at 11:43 am

I like the WaterHog!!

14. 14 richard Aug 21st, 2013 at 11:57 am

The strategy used by Harley has not changed. Their product evolves. It gets a little better every year. This is Harley being Harley. They have improved constantly over the years and incorporated tecnology without alienating the portion of their base that does not want too much change too fast. I believe some of the speculation may be right on and some of it is the figment of someones imagination. The previous announcement regarding the 2014 release brought out some outlandish claims on this blog from those who think they know more than the management and engineers at the motor company. They don’t!

If Harley had not made the changes/improvements they made, many of the same “genus’s” would be whining about “no forward motion”. Instead, in this case, they whine about the motor company making the wrong changes.

I have ridden all of the Asian marques and some of the European bikes also. I ride Harley because it make me feel good. I am not drag racing, road racing, doing burnouts, wheelies etc. I ride to see new places, stay in the saddle all day without having to shift from my right butt to my left butt every ten minutes, and enjoy the trip. I do this knowing I’ve got good power and torque that provide all the “uummph” I need or want. I enjoy great reliability and fuel consumption. Harley knows it’s customer base and through the evolutionary process has managed to keep them engaged and happy. As I said previously…they know how to make us feel good by understanding that it’s not the destination, it’s the ride.

15. 15 Terence Tory Aug 21st, 2013 at 2:58 pm

CafeSportyTC,a Buell is just as Harley as any other Harley.H-D is cheap in product development and design and uses “tradition” as a convenient excuse to sell bikes always twenty years behind in design,refinement and function,to any comparable competitor’s bikes.If BMW and Ducati can built cutting edge bikes true to their past without being hamstrung to obsolete product lines,why not Harley? They should have built a V-rod powered high speed tourer in the vein of a modern FXRT five years ago,for example.Where is a modern FXRS sp 2.0 that every fast H-D rider craves? A modern XLCR? I could go on,and will.It’s very feeble that they have had to rely on Porsche or the late Jim Fueling to fix major bugs and design clean sheet motors.

All the massive profits from T shirts and Elvis toilet roll holders sure haven’t gone back into better bikes.Don’t forget that H-D was within hours of being shut down before Vaughn Beals and friends bought the bones of H-D to start again.The Detroit Delusion Disease is alive and living in the bowels of H-D and as the D.D.D. effect in action shows clearly now you the only real GM V-8 rear wheel drive passenger cars are now made in Australia.Tradition worked very well for the dinosaurs,but try getting parts for them now. H-D is probably deciding right this minute whether it is going to stay a vintage replica motor company or a real serious company destined to survive in the future.

People under thirty think of iPhone three’s as obsolete and tradition means almost zilch to them.These people buy on function,not just some misty memory of the uncle’s old bike riding off in the sunset.They are running out of fifty year old guys who want a shiny bagger-bus.The H.O.G. guys I see at shops look like part-time pirates dropping in on the way from a LARPER Village People reunion.(The biker leather man was not gay,……really).

All the Chiefs,and all the little Indians must be feeling very brave now,and they haven’t even gathered a big tribe of new bikes bespeckled in war paint yet.H-D asks how many Indians are there waiting in the hills ? Their answer is “as many as you want there to be!”

16. 16 deadwood1783 Aug 21st, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Well, in the market segment they compete in, its more that fair to say HD is the “Undisputed Heavyweight Champion”. I like the fact they are having some competitors getting into the game! But it will be quite some time before anyone mounts a true challenge to HD’s supremacy in the heavyweight division. The sales #’s are what they are! Its all about maintaining, or gaining market share! And the “WaterHog” will be a hit in my opinion. I see no downside to better heat management.

17. 17 Sean Aug 21st, 2013 at 3:23 pm

just kill me

18. 18 KneesIntheBreeze Aug 21st, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Slow Ride…..
    If my ’13 Road Glide had 100 ft. lbs of torque, I wouldn’t have dropped the money I did into cams/headers/mufflers/tts tune/etc.
    While I appreciate the break down you give, let’s be clear: Harley publishes the numbers at the crank, not at the rear wheel. Although most here probably know that.
    Stepping down off that box now…. haha..

19. 19 dragdirt Aug 21st, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I agree with Richard I work at a Harley dealership,their lining up to buying them,selling like hotcakes!!Haters gonna hate

20. 20 Dee Aug 21st, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I see nothing wrong with a water cooled Harley. What I do object to is that monster of an entertainment system that looks like it was made by Delco back in the 90’s.

21. 21 James just another crazy Kiwi Aug 21st, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Well said that man ( Richard)
    That could not be put better……who do you work for ??? LOL
    Evolution is the way forward. it is also cheaper with less risk of making high cost mistakes
    that alienate your core customer base
    Personaly I would like to be on an air cooled stainless spoked machine
    with no fuel injection.And I do have one of those ! But reality and modern
    legislation say no new large Motorcycles are going to be that way.

And if truth be told the modern HD is a great motorcyle to ride if
    you want to cover miles quickly and comfortably

I just feel uncomfortable with all this modern equipment I cannot
    fix on the side of the road…..and radiators

22. 22 Blackmax Aug 21st, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Well it’s finally happened…
    the EPA has managed to drag H-D into the some what “Modern Age” with (Gasp!!) liquid cooling
    Seeing the responses on here so far it’s about what I expected
    The H-D faithful are not too happy & probably will not rush to embrace this effort
    Guess What Ladies & gentlemen, GET USED TO IT !!!!!
    Harley held out for as long as it could but you can’t fight “them” forever
    I give them credit for doing it as long as they have…
    Liquid cooled may not have been the best choice but if I was an H-D engineer,
    would have looked at an oil cooling system (see Star, Victory & Indian)
    But what is done is done !!!!!
    All of a sudden, V-Rod riders don’t look so dumb after all !
    And is the custom with Harley, expect the rest of the models will be sporting their “radiators”
    in starts & stops in the near future. I expect to see some thing from S & S real soon

23. 23 J.H. Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Progress is progress, but everybody is right, It will take a little time, but they are still a Harley, and they are still the top dog in Brand Loyalty. Of course there will be the other contenders, Indian ,Victory, Triumph, Metrics, B.M.W. etc there is room for all. They all have a great product and followers. A lot to choose from, isn’t that what it is all about..Remember when Harley in the 80′ that was bailed out by Reagan? Some do, some don’t, some don’t want to admit it. It’s finally a “free” market again…

24. 24 fuji Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:44 pm

What does a Water Buffalo and a Crow have in common. HD now has one and many riders are eating crow for past comments about bikes with radiators.. Looking more and more like a Japanese bike with chrome.

25. 25 BobS Aug 21st, 2013 at 7:09 pm

If Harley succeeds in making water cooled motors acceptable in big American cruisers and touring bikes…guess what Polaris is really good at. In competition it’s best to try and make your opponent play to their weakness, not their strength.

26. 26 bart Aug 21st, 2013 at 7:25 pm

While I despise the look of big exposed rads up in front of a motorcycle engine I don’t see why h-d can’t simply mount an inconspicuously designed small efficient rad underneath; a thin layer water jacket can be used as long as it retains fins (as opposed to looking like an industrial washing machine motor as is otherwise the case elsewhere….gak!).

As for wanting to be able to ‘fix your bike on the side of the road’, I have a modern fuel injected 2004 Camry with 200,000 miles on it and have yet to even change a light bulb in it let alone ever having had a need to “fix it on the side of the road”. It’s even got the original battery and complete exhaust system…I drive year round in the salty north east and have never once ‘broken down’.
    So while you’re sitting on your arse on the side of the road blowing air through your disassembled carb jets…etc… modern fuel injection rules.

27. 27 burnout Aug 21st, 2013 at 7:26 pm

For the first time I agree with Terence Tory……………… peace

28. 28 fuji Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:41 pm

burnout : Way to go “burnout” now TT is probably home fondling himself. Got the big head LOL

29. 29 Slow Ride Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:14 am

Kneesinthebreeze: yes, I agree. At the crank numbers (published by HD)

Also, something to consider with this “twin cooled” motor: Since it is basically a air cooled motor with the addition of a new head (with fins)….. If the water cooling system failed, wouldn’t it be okay to keep riding the bike without damaging the motor? You might not want to flog it without water, but you could still get home? Yes? The air cooling would still be intact and the oil would still be doing its job. So if my thinking is right on this, then you are getting the extra benefits of water cooling but if the system fails, no big deal, right? My guess is that all the guys who are smarter than all the HD engineers will just remove the damn system or put the old heads on the bike. Problem solved! Just like when fuel injection was invented, “tear the damn thing off and slap a carb back on there”.

30. 30 Terence Tory Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:15 am

Slow Ride.I doubt all your ideas on Twin-cooled redundancy.If the cooling system has failed you probably have a blown hose,a bike running foul and hot toxic smelly slippery coolant all over the bike,your boots and the rear tire.The ECU will probably shut down the EFI and Ignition on bad coolant pressure,flow or temp settings in any case.”all the guys who are smarter than all the HD engineers” well there are plenty smarter out there,plenty who think they are smarter and an abundance real dumb dudes.Guys who think carbs are better on modern V-twins fit into one of those categories.

31. 31 James just another crazy Kiwi Aug 22nd, 2013 at 3:10 am

Funny last time I looked a Camry was a car did 200000km in one but it is only a car just a device to get me from one place to the other
    Personaly Hate the things but they are handy at times
    Have had a number of EVO’s I could fix and they never let me down…DAM
    I dont want to fix a bike on the sid of the road I just want to know I can .That is a big difference
    Shit breaking down on the old Pommie stuff I used to ride was a reason for a beer and then we would figure out a fix.
    It is the ride not the destination.Feel sorry for the people that never lived through those times.
    Not knowing if your bike is going to break down or not.
    Now they wear designer clothing and try to look tough and mean but live on the coat tails of others.
    Imagine only cash no credit card.Gasp no cell phone and hotels and motels not letting you stop there because you were on a greasy old Motorcycle.
    Would not swap a moment of it. Brilliant fun .!!!

32. 32 James just another crazy Kiwi Aug 22nd, 2013 at 3:13 am

Sorry Bart but comparing a Camry or any car with a motorcycle ?????

33. 33 Steve Carr Aug 22nd, 2013 at 5:41 am

Yes, Bart……please inject more realistic comparisons to the subject of motorcycles that include the Toyota Camry…..as opposed to a carburetor

sometimes I just can’t , I just don’t…..what the …….is this guy for real?

it would seem by his post that he would not pull his Camry over to help a fellow biker on the side if the road, but rather pass him by yelling out the window of his said Camry….”see I told you fuel injection is the wave of the future”….

Onward and forward my friends, lets not look back, put the motorcycles away and head for the nearest Toyota dealership

Steve Carr

34. 34 Steve Carr Aug 22nd, 2013 at 5:48 am

I still can’t seem to process the post by professor Bart from MIT,

can someone please help me understand what I am missing here…..

please?

35. 35 Marty Smith Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 am

So, with the twin-cooled engines, did they retain the EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy) to aid in the cooling, or did they get rid of it on the twin-cooled bikes and keep it only on the traditional engines?

36. 36 Upswept Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:32 am

I can’t imagine how much heat the rider is going to feel on his legs. Plus, now you can’t remove the lowers in summer.

37. 37 A 1 MIKE Aug 22nd, 2013 at 8:13 am

VROD MOTOR (PORCHE) IN A BAGGER CHASSIS, TURBO CHARGED OF COURSE….155 HP AND 95 TOURQE…..DIFFERENT CAMS AND AND MOVE THE POWER DOWN TO THE BOTTOM AND YOU HAVE A WINNER…I HAVE ALL THE PLANS AND DRAWINGS AND I AM READY TO BUILD IT..WHO WANTS ONE? CHEAPER THAN A NEW “TWIN COOLED” MORE POWER LESS repairs and maintenance. win win win

38. 38 Slow Ride Aug 22nd, 2013 at 8:48 am

Terence Tory: Thanks for letting us know how this system works. If I get one of these twin cooled bikes and loose all 1.1 quarts of coolant, I will wait by the side of the road until some guy with a pressure washer comes by to hose off my bike. And there is no way that I would continue to ride my bike if I had anti freeze on my boots. That would be irresponsible and just plain crazy. Anti freeze on my boots and rear tire? That would strand me on the side of the road for sure. As far as the ECU shutting down, I doubt it. I don’t know of any automotive ECU’s that shut the car off if you loose coolant. I once limped home in my 4Runner after hitting a deer. Five miles from the house. zero coolant in the radiator. The truck still ran but I shut it down when the motor got hot. I had to stop several times and let her cool down, but she still ran. I didn’t have to call a tow truck. And I didn’t ruin the motor cause I wasn’t letting it get too hot before shutting it down. And my 4Runner doesn’t have cooling fins.

39. 39 Boomer Aug 22nd, 2013 at 10:17 am

I think Harley is staying true to its faithful with this design and with it only on the big touring bikes with lowers.

I read somewhere how the HD designers and engineers are told every new year model must look just like the last year model when viewed side by side at 25 yards with the exception of paint. I think this new design follows this model of design with maybe the exception of the newly designed trunk. They probably agreed a change there was needed.

Did anyone else notice the peak torque is at a higher rpm on the “wet” motor? Looks/sounds like this new motor design is meant to be ridden in the higher rpm band which will take a little getting used to for some long-time HD riders. Just sayin’…

40. 40 Jim Preisler Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:09 am

Porsche went through this air cooled to liquid cooled thing with the 911. Many complained, but It didn’t seem to slow them down. The new Turbo goes 0-60 under 3 seconds.

41. 41 Carl M Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I’ll listen to all this anti progress stuff from fols who only kick start the big twins all the time!

The rest of you be quiet while we enjoy the technology of our times.

The AMCA loves th have members who like antique bikes, most of whom also have a modern bike or two!

Love motorcycles = love them all!!!!

42. 42 Terence Tory Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Slow Ride,try going around a corner after the tire gets coated with coolant.Case closed.

A 1 Mike,a bagger type frame is not suitable for 150 HP in rigidity or geometry.

43. 43 Boomer Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I wonder if the coolant has an electric pump that keeps the fluid moving and the fans on after the engine is turned off if the temp is over x degrees like some other vehicles. Not comparing bikes to cars; just the cooling system. Might not be a bad idea if it does this at, say, gas stops while touring across the desert in July when the head temps reach critical mass.

44. 44 James just another crazy Kiwi Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Yes Steve it is hard to fathom that anallogy without a serious chemical imbalance…

You build some really nice bikes just checked out your site.

I like modern Technology my Fat Bob has it but the reallity is we look back with misty eyes and forget braking down in sub zero temperatures or when the carby froze at 70mph or when the carb used to backfire in the cold air after midnight and whip flames round your knee that caused a sudden wet spot in the front on your trousers ( that last bit never happended)
    Friday here have a great weekend

45. 45 morpion Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:02 pm

BART,,,,200,000 miles,, the troubles are coming soon,,,,,,,,,,,,

46. 46 Robyn Gray Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:49 pm

“Water Hog”, I love it. Harley’s scrambling to keep up. The new Indians will hopefully put these clowns in their place . When Arrogance subsumes Reality, business suffers and you have to resort to Smoky Mirrors!! I ran a very “Ol[d School” (ie. Honest and treated our customers with respect!) Harley dealership in Canada! I loved the early years and I could hold my head high when I said I sold Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Not now! I’m thankful I am not one of those new despised Harley-Davidson Boutiques

47. 47 Robyn Gray Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:40 pm

“Water Hog”, I love it! Harley’s scrambling to keep up with their competition! Maybe the new Indians will put these Arrogant Clowns in there place! When Arrogance subsumes Reality, business suffers and you have to resort to Smokey Mirrors! I ran a very successful Old School (ie. Honest and treated our customers with respect) Harley dealership in Canada. I loved the early years! Most dealerships have become Boutiques! Try and get even common essential parts today. I used to stock over $750,000 in genuine Harley parts. Probably more than Deeley Harley-Davidson, the current Canadian Harley -Davidson distributor. It’s a Joke in Canada! Deeley took my dealership away after 28 years of hard work and personnel sacrifice. To add insult to injury, they took my shop’s reputation (regarded at the time as one of the best in Canada) and totally destroyed it. It now has the distinction of being one of the worst in Canada! Rip Off City with Attitude! As far as liquid cooling is considered, it is essential for future development! The government dictates it. Also one can get more power with liquid cooling as engine and more importantly cylinder head operating temperature can be controlled way more accurately. Any argument about that massive an ugly radiator hanging off you bike is unfounded. Heat Excanger technology has greatly improved since that dinosaur. “The Radiator” was invented! Harley get out of the Dark Ages and think out of the box and you may survive the next Century! Oh, and drop the attitude it’s unbecoming to a Company that once built the Best motorcycles in the world. Robyn, one pissed off Cowboy!

48. 48 Pyrotec Kustom Cycles Aug 23rd, 2013 at 2:08 pm

In the tradition of naming new Harley motors… The new Twin Cool motor should be named “The Wet Head”…. Some one had to do it!

49. 49 Woody's Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:53 am

@Pyro-I’ve heard a bunch of folks calling it the “waterhead”, hopefully we can do better…

50. 50 Terence Tory Aug 24th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I think the new Twin-Cooled 103 should be nick named the “Snakehead”,……because it shakes’n’bakes with hidden snakes.

51. 51 badams Aug 24th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

It should be interesting to read all the reviews on the new models, and how they compare to previous year’s 103. Touring tests, not bar hoping.

52. 52 Eddy Haskel Aug 25th, 2013 at 10:10 am

Shower Head.

53. 53 Tom Aug 26th, 2013 at 9:34 am

BMW is going thru same thing now with their water boxer. Very similar transition from air/oil cooled to addition of liquid cooled heads. And same debates taking place among the faithful, with majority appearing to be in favor.

Get over it, peeps. Or buy a 2012. Old is good, right?? (I’m keeping my 04 RK custom until the end if time).

54. 54 aaron Aug 26th, 2013 at 9:46 am

so….

water cooled motorcycles = bad, until Harley starts doing it on the traditional motor. then water cooled = awesome. do I have this right? hopefully our saviors at the motor company can make wild new ideas like 4 valve heads work during my lifetime. 1 h.p. per cubic inch will no longer be a pipe dream for factory bikes!

55. 55 James Hennegan Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:23 am

I have to stand up and cheer Harley for doing this. The fact that water cooling is in their future has been around for years. What held them off for this long has been a mystery to me. We have to face the fact that to move into the future we need to not only meet modern standards but also appeal to a larger and larger demographic. This, along with all the other changes we see in 2014 are a welcome change proving HD will move into the future.
    Personally I would love to see a full radiator on the big twin, What holds me back from getting a 2014 Fat Bob is the air cooling.
    Please HD be bold and a leader, let see more of this innovation in future bikes,

56. 56 Question Mark Aug 29th, 2013 at 10:07 am

One more spot on the garage floor to clean up!

57. 57 Michael Cain Aug 31st, 2013 at 10:39 am

Dont know why Harley has not offered the liquid cooled V-Rod engine in its touring class motorcycles, or at least make it an option. I would jump all over it. More power, better reliability, rider comfort, everything that’s missing now. The partial liquid cooled twin cool engine is a step in the right direction but stops short in delivering what many of us bagger drivers want. The V-Rod option would be real innovation that would enable Harley to compete with the Gold WIng and other liquid cooled motorcycles. Sounds like a win win situation to me.

58. 58 Thundernerd Sep 1st, 2013 at 10:56 am

Can it be coincidence that Willie G. “retired” last year, and we finally get the beginnings of modern engineering in our touring bikes? Some might see an offense here, but not me! Eric Buell was right about design all along, and his company should never have been terminated! Just imagine what this man could have accomplished, even with the “25 yard” rule, with the touring lineup!

I ride an old S2 Thunderbolt, and love the thing. Still, I wish it had more power and didn’t knock on premium. Others probably feel the same. Liquid cooling, even when hidden, can accomplish this.

59. 59 Rock Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I have ridden HD’s for 40+ years and logged 25-30k per year for 10 years on 10 new Electra Glides. I bought a 2013 model and took it back within two weeks, losing close to 5K in the process. It felt like I was riding atop a deep fat fryer. The heat was absolutely ridiculous. Harley dealers have been denying this problem even existed until these new models came out and they admitted the changes were brought on by customer complaints about the heat issue. Duh!

My daily rider is my ’97 Heritage windshieldless, Evo, but I have been riding an American made Gold Wing (2008) for long haul touring. It’s radiator holds 4 qts of fluid. I can’t see that HD’s 1.1 qts cooling system is going to do much to alleviate to the heat issue. Going up Pike’s Peak last year even my GW got way hotter than it ever got before. I can’t even imagine how hot a HD would have gotten.

After touring on a GW I would never go back to a touring HD. My stock GW will blow it’s windshield off and will log 250,000 miles with very little maintenance. I have always been a Harley guy, but more than that, I am a motorcycle guy. I love the simplicity of my Evo, but I also love my high tech GW and my BMW K1300S.

60. 60 Steve B Sep 28th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Face it, folks, “Liquid cooling” is the only way to meet modern Emissions standards & produce more HP. BMW, who have been in the Motorcycle business for 90 years now, and are steeped in tradition as well have made the switch in 2013 to a limited liquid cooling of their heads. Styled after the F1 race car model, it is minimal, and is focused around the hot areas around the valves and top of the cylinder. Oil and air still perform most of the cooling. I suspect HD is modeling this design as well.

61. 61 Dean Lutgert Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:16 am

The government is stupid forcing HD to water cool anti freeze is nasty stuff

62. 62 B harr Dec 30th, 2013 at 8:59 pm

When I first saw the new Ultra Ltd back in August I had to have one! I waited 8 weeks to get the color I wanted. I have been riding for 41/2 years and this is my third HD. Having traded an awesome 2011 Streetglide was thought to be crazy but to have the traditional looks of Americas MC and the new techno stuff is great! The power is better, the handling is better, the comfort is way better (ask my wife) and the radio will blow you off the bike! I like many different mfgs of MCs and if I could I would own more. But for now I can’t be happier! One thing is for sure, HD is the 800lbs gorilla of motorcycles and when you pull up to cars on an MC people say-oh…there is a bike! When they see a HD pull up they say there is a Harley! That’s bad ass and that’s AMERICA BABY!!!!!!!!