Indian-FamilyIn conjunction with the launch of its new 2014 Indian® Chief® platform, Indian Motorcycle®, America’s first motorcycle company, announced the “Indian Motorcycle Assurance Program” intended to become a new standard for premium motorcycle ownership, service and support. The comprehensive program has been created to make purchasing, owning and riding the new 2014 Indian Chief motorcycles an approachable and effortless experience for new owners. The program complements the company’s historic reveal of three all new 2014 models — the Indian Chief Classic, the Indian Chief Vintage, and the Indian Chieftain — at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on August 3 in South Dakota. The new Indian Motorcycle Assurance Program consists of the following elements:

Chieftain-Dashboard5 Years of Coverage: Indian Motorcycle® backs every new Indian Motorcycle with 5 years of coverage that includes both a 1 year limited warranty and an extended service contract. Coverage is subject to $50 deductible with no mileage limitation.

Fly & Ride: The Fly & Ride program encourages new owners to make buying and riding a new Indian Chief a memorable and rewarding experience. Buyers can fly to an Indian Motorcycle dealer on any commercial airline, ride their new bike home, and receive a $250 credit on their Indian Chief purchase.

Trade-in Confidence: Buy a new 2014 Indian Chief with the total confidence that comes from guaranteed trade-in values. Two years after purchase, owners can bank on a guaranteed trade-in value of 70 percent of original MSRP, and 60 percent trade-in value after three years.

Competitive Financing: Indian Motorcycle dealers across the country are offering competitive financing rates of 3.99% for 36 months, or 6.99% for 72 months. Rates are available now through the end of the 2013.

Roadside Assistance: New owners who purchase now through the end of 2013 receive a full year of roadside assistance coverage. Available services include emergency transport (up to 100 miles at no cost), pickup and delivery of your motorcycle (charges apply), fluids delivery, and jump starting services.

In addition to the Indian Motorcycle Assurance Program, there is a 24 hours a day, seven days a week Concierge Hotline available for Indian Motorcycle owners. New owners of an all-new 2014 Indian Chief motorcycle can buy and ride with confidence knowing service, support and assistance is a phone call away.

Chieftain-War-Bonnet“The Indian Motorcycle Assurance Program sets a new benchmark in the motorcycle industry for warranty coverage, service and support,” said Polaris Vice President of Motorcycles, Steve Menneto. “We’re bringing choice to American motorcycling with three exceptional machines, and that choice is backed by a premium level of service and support that makes buying and owning a 2014 Indian Chief a truly enjoyable and effortless experience.”

Availability: The full line of 2014 Indian Chief models are available for order now and will arrive in dealerships in September, along with an extensive array of apparel, parts and accessories. Indian Motorcycle demo rides are taking place at dealer events across the country now through the end of the year. Visit Indian Motorcycle to check out the Demo Tour schedule or to locate an Indian Motorcycle dealer near you, and to see the full line of apparel, parts and accessories.

42 Responses to “Indian Motorcycle Wants To Set The New Standard For Premium Motorcycle Ownership, Service And Support.”

1. 1 Mr.Defo Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:36 am

I have to say, those are some pretty enticing premiums. I really like the idea of them paying you back for the “privledge” of getting to fly out and ride your bike home.

2. 2 Matt W. Aug 22nd, 2013 at 10:16 am

It appears that the new Indian has the right bike and right attitude to possibly become one of the greatest comeback stories in American motorcycle history. No doubt the biggest hurdle they face at the moment is expanding their dealer network but for the time being you certainly can’t say that they are resting on their laurels.

3. 3 richard Aug 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 am

One year limited warranty and a five year extended coverage. Does this cost anything?

4. 4 takehikes Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:09 am

I like all of it, hope this spreads.

5. 5 Robert Pandya Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

The 5 year total coverage is included in the price of the motorcycle Richard.

We know that the next thing that the haters will glom onto is the dealer network availability, certainly as the market leader has shops seemingly every 100 miles on every interstate.

Our goal is 120-140 dealer by the end of this year, with hundreds more after that. The dealer development team is working with everyone from Mom and Pop shops to big box stores who have inquired – however the goal is not only to flesh out the network, but to do it with dealers who get what Indian is – not simply those seeking to jump on the next hot thing. The balance between speed to market and doing it right is the stress point for any good organization.

We can ask for patience, but you don’t get that by asking, you get that by doing things right over time. Hopefully the Indian Assurance program continues to indicate our seriousness in being a solid choice in motorcycling.

Ride often –

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

6. 6 Joseph Brenner Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:25 am

As Cyril wrote in a former article, Indian gives us not only good reasons to buy but removes reasons not to buy. I like this Indian program.

7. 7 1550tc Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Two years after purchase, owners can bank on a guaranteed trade-in value of 70 percent of original MSRP, and 60 percent trade-in value after three years. –

nice to be able to have atv’s bank roll residual losses on vehicles………..did the big three do this with leasing?? and today with cash incentives ??

for a company that dont even sell 2-3000 and what 15,000 victory bikes it just make you wonder where the cash is coming from all all these buyer $educement$

8. 8 Steve The Producer Johann Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Our local dealer here in Lynnwood, WA is show casing the new line up of Indians. Walt has already done a test ride which he will be talking about on the our show tomorrow night. The dealer just purchased property next door to their current complex and is planning on building a separate complex to house the Indian and Victory lines. I am stopping in later today to check these new machines out.

9. 9 Peet Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I would like them to aggressively take viable trade ins of other bikes at realistic values. If I could trade in my current ride at a decent price, I would ride in and drop it off today. Now that would really shake things up.

10. 10 Romano Aug 22nd, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I think Indian is going to have an honorable next 12 months. And if in 1 year they release a New Scout, they will begin to be a serious threat for Harley market share.

11. 11 richard Aug 22nd, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Robert Pandya…thanks for the answer. Five years provides a lot of anxiety relief when buying a brand new bike. With respect to your other thoughts….we are all have to keep in mind that “Rome was not built in a day”.

Although I have been a Harley guy for the past 25 years, I wish Polaris good luck and am keeping an open mind. Having competition can’t hurt the consumer.

12. 12 Woody's Aug 22nd, 2013 at 6:21 pm

My ’97 Honda Valkyrie came with a 5 yr warranty (no deductibles) as did the “new” Yamaha Royal Star in 1996. Still, I applaud this effort from Polaris/Indian to bring this kind of peace of mind to buyers of an American-branded bike. My only experience was a first-year ’97 SLTX jetski. It had one recall after another (at least 5 in the first year) BUT, I was always notified through the dealer and it was fixed without charging me a dime. Hopefully things will be right with the new Indian, and they will give new buyers the great support they gave me as Polaris.

13. 13 benelli Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Robert Pandya, thank you for your post. I was talking with one of your Victory Indian duals. Service Manager was very excited, couldn’t wait to see the new product. What did you come away from the factory training with I asked? We haven’t had any training he replied! So we are releasing a new product in less than 30 days and no dealer reps have had any training? Is the explanation going to be that a Victory tech can repair it? Where is the bang for my buck when repairs become necessary? And we all know they will.

14. 14 Smitty Aug 22nd, 2013 at 8:34 pm

When Polaris first bought the rights to Indian, several interviews stated that Indian was going to be a stand alone motorcycle brand. As time goes on, it appears that it will be known as the Polaris/Indian. Most of the dealerships are going to be Polaris/Indian complexes where you’ll probably have to walk through the ATV’s and off road accessories to look at one.
    I have never been a fan of Polaris Motorcycles. I admire their efforts to design a different style of bike but I still can’t deal with their bagger, Victory Vision, that looks like a female body part from the rear. (no pun intended.)
    I have always been an Indian fan. I’m hoping that everything does come together and a good quality product is produced , at a reasonable price. I hope the dealer support spins up quickly and Polaris doesn’t try to make up some of their profits in their parts department.
    I will give Indian (Polaris) a year or so to see how things shake out . If they continue on their current path, there could be an Indian parked next to my dependable Harley Davidson in my garage.
    (I also want to see if any of the future models will come with the Indian head on the gas tank)

15. 15 courtney Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Well Smitty, these new “Indian” bikes ARE Polaris-versioned, albeit, Indian-branded bikes [simply due to the fact that Polaris has NOT been able to break out sufficiently with their own in-house, ground-up version of a new motorcycle (Victory); thus, Polaris now feels the need to piggy-back an old, defunct marquee in an apparent desperate attempt to gain real traction and respect in a motorcycle market that they’re unfortunately lagging in otherwise].

That’s too bad. Victory could and should be more popular by now. But that styling….

16. 16 James just another crazy Kiwi Aug 23rd, 2013 at 2:15 am

Courtney in my opinion you are correct as it is very hard to develop your own style as an American manufacturer when one dominant brand has survived and is still so very strong.
    Victory bikes are well engineered and finished. They just do not do it in the looks department.
    With Indian they are using someone elses styling from the 50’s.Much easier to market.
    My Blood is Orange and black but it would be nice to see Indian do well.
    I still think though most of their new sales will come from Victory owners and Metric
    Brands.
    I doubt they will be a real threat to HD for many years. If they survive !
    The Harley Davidson and Indian Wars by Alan Girdler is a great read and the photos are brilliant.
    The Iron Red Skin is a must read too.

17. 17 Smittydog Aug 23rd, 2013 at 7:12 am

Program is nice,but still not enough dealerships to feel confident.

18. 18 baggerdude Aug 23rd, 2013 at 7:48 am

How do they intend to set new standards with so few dealers. Best not break down in some states that have no dealers!

19. 19 Sigfreed Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:03 am

Frankly, judge me as you like, it all just sounds like the fisherman’s pub account, all just a touch too god to be for real.

If not Harley (ie I know what I will get) – the Moto Guzzi California 1400 is my 2nd choice – call me nostalgic, that I will take as part of the booze-cruise…

20. 20 V-Pops Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:46 am

Thank you Robert Pandya for your thoughts.

I belive Indian is on its way towards making a dent in HD sales. Let’s see what their Q4 unit sales results look like in January. While there are many HD kool-aid drinkers out there, there are many riders who are not swayed by which way the Harley wind blows. I’ve owned 6 HDs in the last 15 years. Number 5 was a 2007 FLSTC that left me stranded on the side of the road on a Sunday morning during an Autism Charity ride. Cost $435 cash to tow it off the “parkway”. Local dealer found it was an electrical issue under the gas tank. That left a very bad taste in my mouth, so I traded the bike in for a 2008 Victory Vision, and has been the most comfortable, best riding bike to date. Sure the styling is polarizing, especially for the HD kool-aid drinkers, but I don’t “wear” my bike for their approval.

Many HD purists say there are only 3 Indians, vs 24+ Harley versions, but given time I’m sure the Indian family will grow and provide a wider selection for various types of riders.

I believe one way of enticing HD followers is to offer Harley trade-in values $1000 over NADA book value. We know Harley dealers love to lowball owners when it comes to trade-in values.This will provide an additional incentive for Harley riders to jump ship.

I wish Indian and Polaris all the success. Coming from an HD stockholder, chances are greater there will be a new Indian Chieftain or Victory Vision as my next bike rather than an HD.

21. 21 Rodent Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:19 am

In other words if I fly to buy an Indian I get a 250.00 discount but if I arrive in my pickup truck that I spent 250.00 for driving expenses I get nada!

22. 22 P. Hamilton. Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:44 am

Rodent. I suggest driving your truck very fast to make it fly.

23. 23 Robert Pandya Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:58 am

All,

Thanks for your interest in Indian and the many positive comments regarding the brand. A quick note regarding dealers and service training – with the following (rather personal) umbrella statement: If you think that Indian Motorcycle went to all the trouble to develop, test, and produce 3 ground-up motorcycles that looks right (subject to opinion I know) perform very well and are indeed just the tip of the product iceberg that the company is capable of, WITHOUT planning and working ftowards an increased dealer base, well trained service and sales force and plans to continue that trend, you are out of your minds or simply not paying attention to the work of the past couple years, or perhaps just in denial.

Now regarding dealers – we have stated many times that we plan to have 120-140 North American and 70 International dealers installed by the end of this year, with many more to come in the years to follow.

Regarding who “gets” to be a dealer – it’s open to the right fit. I look at it this way – many car OEM’s have different brands that fit in different locations. So in a small town you would not likely see a Cadillac dealership next to the Chevy lot – but in a big town you might see the Caddy shop next to the GMC truck dealer. Every situation is different and the dealer development team is very very busy working now with dealer prospects and existing dealers. True some of those prospects are existing Polaris or Victory dealers, but some are 100% new, or have other OEM products on their floor and see a good fit with the Indian Motorcycle brand.

As you can imagine we would seek out stable, engaged dealer in every instance. This is important for customer confidence, future business, brand stability and ultimately to earn market share (dominant share is not the “right” to any one brand by the way).

Those of you who get business know that it takes time to do it right. In the scale of what is to be done, I can assure you all that the Indian Motorcycle staff is growing, strong and dedicated to delivering the experince, products and satisfaction that a great marque such as Indian deserves.

For those who feel that Indian “ended” in ’53, or is not true because they are not make in Springfield Mass, I would ask what about bikes built in York, PA, or Kansas City. Toyota trucks built in San Antonio, or Ford and Chevy trucks built in Mexico or Canada – they are still their brand. Subarus built in Indiana, even their favorite brands built in India keep their brand name. For those of you who feel that a parent company with a different brand name negates the motorcycle brand, I encourage you to look back to 1969-1981 history.

Every Victory ever made, and each new Indian Motorcycle rolls off seperate production lines Spirit Lake Iowa USA. We have expanded operations there significantly along with the diverse range of products offered under the PII banner. We just more than doubled the the size of our development center in Wyoming MN USA too – you don’t spend that money unless you are up to someting in the future.

We know we have haters and detractors, but we also know that we have blunted many of their arguements over the course of the past months.

1) “It will be a Victory with an Indian logo” – no.
    2) “They won’t build an all new engine” – false.
    3) “They will be built in Mexico” – wrong.
    4) “They will not look like a real Indian” – wrong again.
    5) “They will be out of this World expensive” – nope.
    6) “They won’t back them up” – incorrect.

As far as the future negative arguements, dealers, service, variety of products etc – time will tell and I’m not going to give anything up that we are not ready to be public – but given the track record above, I would think that anybody proud to ride motorcycle built in Wisconsin, Kansas, or Pennsylvania would feel the same about motorcycles coming from Iowa. And anybody proud to riding through this great country would be happy to see that we are delivering that promise of a new choice. Even if they choose something else.

Indian Motorcycle is back and stronger than ever, and our future is bright. If you don’t care to be part of it, that’s cool – but for those who even consider the brand, thank you, and we look forward to riding with you who do.

Have a smooth weekend –

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

24. 24 Sisco Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I trust Cyril’s reports. I believe Mr. Pandya is honest in all his statements. I think Indian is already scaring the competition, including Harley, of course. Not for 2013 or 2014, but after that. Give Polaris a couple of years and let’s see how much Harley loses.

25. 25 Colorado Slim Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Robert, thanks for taking the time to post. There is a lot of ignorance out there by people that either refuse to, or don’t wish to, do their research before making a disparaging comment.

I have ordered a 2014 Indian and cannot wait for delivery. I have wanted an Indian for many years and in a month my dream will come true.

One (small) complaint: there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason when it comes to shipping the bikes. Even though I put a deposit down in May and my order was one of the earliest placed by my dealer, there are others whose orders were placed after mine by the same dealer (albeit different color/model) that will have their bike shipped before mine.

Why not ship FIFO? Doesn’t seem fair that I have to wait a couple of weeks longer for my bike when others whose order was placed after mine will get their first. Not to mention I could get bumped out of one of the first 1901.

26. 26 David King Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Mr Pandya, I’m a twenty plus year H-D rider and current owner of two of them. They aren’t perfect. No machine built on a production will be a perfect match for every rider. But from what I see so far Indian and Polaris is doing the right things for the right reasons. Any thinking rider knows your arrival to the market increases competition and the rider (consumer) will ultimately win.

Best of luck.

David K.

27. 27 rdawsoniii Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I would be interested in a reply to Colorado’s question.

28. 28 rdawsoniii Aug 23rd, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I would also add my thanks to Robert for his comments. I too have a bike on order (red Vintage) scheduled to ship towards the end of September. It is going to be a long month! Can’t wait!

29. 29 1550tc Aug 23rd, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Robert………..love the adds, as that is about 90% of HD riders your poking fun at 🙂

I cant wait till Kuryakyn come up with some blinking LED Indian head band accessory to put on that front fender’s bauble ( a showy ornament of little value; a trinket)

30. 30 Woody's Aug 23rd, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Mr. Pandya. Smetimes less is more. You were on a good roll there until you insulted our intelligence with the “… those who feel that Indian “ended” in ’53…” train of thought. How many years was Ford out of business during the last 110 years? Likewise the other examples you gave? None of the example you give went under for a single year, or repeated changed the entire workforce, leadership and owners. No amount of spin will change what Indian was, or is. Rather than BS us over the legacy, may I humbly suggest your company continue to wow us with their new vision and execution of it? (no “vision” pun intended)

31. 31 BobS Aug 23rd, 2013 at 7:17 pm

“Choice is coming to American Motorcycles”. In 1998. For my stock’s sake I hope Polaris sells a million Indians. But I love riding my Victory. Retro is no substitute for greatness. Best of luck but I’ll stick with a modern American motorcycle.
    But, from this article it does appear that some of the more common customer complaints against Victory are being addressed with Indian. I sure hope Polaris doesn’t consider customer service exclusive to Indian hint hint.

32. 32 Tom Abscott Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Can’t wait to test ride the Chieftan. I will have patience and watch the dealership network develop over time. It will take some time but will be worth the wait.

When I bought my Honda Valkyrie Interstate in 1999, it was by choice. It was made in Ohio and had more USA made parts than the HD I wanted to buy.

Competition is good, I think HD could end up selling more motorcycles with future improvements that many riders have been waiting for. More and more riders every year.

Ride safe and ride whatever you like.

33. 33 Gary Bang Aug 24th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Dear Woody’s I wished that I could have said that first a very good point. Mr Pandya your company brought a very nice Motorcycle to market in a Very short Time. I would like to Echo Woody’s point. some time in 1953 Indian ceased to have a viable dealer network I guess one could say they died at age 51. I know over the years people have tried to bring the name back with some good and some bad. It would not make any difference who owned the brand from 1902-1953 Indian of that time had Soul.

It will be up to the new owners of the “Indian name” to make their own soul. I am sure this can be done giving some time

The Harley-Davidson Brand of Motorcycles have had uninterrupted soul for over 110-Years.
    Gary Bang

34. 34 BobS Aug 25th, 2013 at 8:32 am

“Uninterrupted soul for over 110 years” LMFAO!!!!!!!! I guess when a guy is stranded on the side of the road with a broke down piece of crap at least he can take solace in that bike having soul. Or when a guy has a bike in his garage in pieces rusting because he can’t get parts he can at least admire the thousand little pieces of soul on his garage floor. Keeping a pan under the engines were just there to catch little drops of soul! Thank God for corporate buyouts and government bailouts that kept that soul uninterrupted for 110 years, yeah baby! Maybe if Indian overcharges for a some-assembly-required bike that will infuse more soul in the brand!
    Me I won’t buy a bike because of how many pages are in the corporate history book of the company. I’m going to buy the bike I want and what I want is power, comfort, handling, reliability, etc. And yeah I know I know I know, “If you don’t ride Harley you just don’t understand”. Wrong again. I rode Harley until something better came along. Actually something much better came along and I’m happy to see Harley is playing catch up. But they have no soul, never did.

35. 35 KD Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:11 am

I echo BobS: LMFAO!!! Gary Bang, you consider 1969-1981 when AMF “OWNED” HD “uniterrupted soul”??? Man, I can’t count the number of times (prior to 1999 when Indian was officially it’s own brand again) that HD owners HATED it when you talked about the AMF years. Then, when 1999 hit all the HD lovers banded together to hate the competition. Whether or not Indian was it’s own brand or owned by some other entity, you can find bikes (even if only a mini-bike) with Indian registration on them from 1901 to the present. Though the brand may have changed hands (just like HD did) it could be considered “uniterrupted” as well.

I for one believe that Indian has finally found a home and a parent company that has the finances and patience to bring the brand back to a full, well rounded selection of products that, IN THE LONG RUN, will compete well and bring choice back to ALL riders, not just cruisers and baggers.

36. 36 Woody's Aug 26th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

@kd, In a word, Yes. I don’t get the whole “soul” thing, but the AMF years were an uninterrupted continuation of Harley and all my point was, is Harley never closed. It never went away. It never told it’s dealerships, “no more bikes, guys, we’re done”. When AMF bought it, the people stayed and they kept building the same bikes. Lots of people say AMF wrecked Harley but lots of people don’t know shit. AMF pumped in more cash than could easily be counted and saved the company. It wasn’t all roses (I owned a ’75 Sporty and a ’79 FL) but AMF didn’t seem to realize they were buying an operation akin to Fred Flintstone’s garage when they figured the numbers they’d need to make. They made sure that there WAS a Harley Davidson to be repurchased later without interruption though, instead of just a name on a long-closed Wigwam. I’m glad Polaris is taking their shot and I’m thinking it’ll raise the bar for everyone else to improve or die, I’m just sick of the storyline that a checkbook gives them a legacy. Indian reminds me of the Studebaker Avanti. Whether it was Newman & Altman, Kelly, Cafaro, whatever, Avanti (finally?) died. Those of us with “real ones” watched with interest but it was never the same. What if Polaris bought the Avanti name tomorrow and made a new one, would we have to see a “Avanti, forward since 1963” ad campaign or worse yet, “Studebaker/Avanti, cars with a heritage from 1852.”?

37. 37 qajaqr Aug 26th, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Mr Pandya

That all sounds good to this old HOG member, and I think I’d look seriously at your motorcycles if I were about 50 years younger for all they offer. In fact, I just looked at your dealer’s website in Jacksonville Ar. and had to look at ATV ads before I saw the Indians.

Here’s the deal: anyone that buys a legendary motorcycle wants it to feel legendary, and legends don’t have to associate with anyone else. Its beneath them. That ‘s the cachet Harley has. That’s what sells them. It isn’t bigger motors or better brakes. It isn’t the chrome or the paint. It’s the superiority of owning and riding the storied Harley Davidson motorcycle. You don’t just ride some expensive motorcycle, you ride a Harley Davidson, by god.

I would humbly suggest you not waste the opportunity to make that play on Indian’s heraldry. Don’t sell anything but Indians in one building, or on one website. Make your customer a part of a rich history, not a sales prospect in a Polaris showroom, and Indian will do fine. Personally, I hope Indian is a smash hit; maybe you’ll rattle HD into offering a little better warranty.

38. 38 Blackmax Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:40 am

The future is here & now, the oppertunity, never better
    Polaris is going out of it way to show that they are here for the long haul
    & the offer of 5 yrs coverage is an offer that is rarely match by only a few
    in the industry. The next couple of years are going to be VERY interesting to say the least.
    I’m really waiting for somebody in my area to step up to the plate as the nearest dealer to
    me is about 900 miles away. How about a demo truck to some of us out in the “heartland”
    I’ve taken a day off work to test ride a Victory, I’d sure as heck take one of to test an Indian

39. 39 BillNY Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I applied for an Indian franchise in New York and will expose the weak link in the marketing plan. First, let me say that Polaris is a great company and has the pockets to put this venture into success mode. I had a Victory dealership so will speak some facts here.
    I requested a fair marketing area to insure that I wouldn’t have to fight with another Indian dealer in my area for market share. I would rather direct my efforts towards taking market share from Harley. My idea of a fair marketing area is a 30-35 mile radius of the proposed dealer location. With in excess of $150k expenses per year, the dealer needs at least 200 new sales per year to cover the nut. Management refused to offer a fair marketing area. They counter with, look at Harley, look at Honda. When you try to remind them that they will have at best, one to three product models in 2-3 years, not the 32 that Harley has, they change the subject. Initial investment would have been around $400k with lease hold improvements, parts and the Indian brand layout. Dealers that cannot turn a profit lose interest in the product, and eventually close up. What is worse then a failed dealer network? Look at Victory. Disengaged dealers, poor service, no sponsorship of rides, events etc. I even sent an email to the CEO after I withdrew my application. If they are not concerned about dealer profitablilty, the brand is doomed. Even if I don’t have any skin in the game, I love the iconic brand and hope that inspite of my fears, they succeed.

40. 40 fxrocket Aug 28th, 2013 at 2:07 am

Good Luck Indian! Hopefully it will create jobs for everyone.

41. 41 BillNY Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

My comment reagrding the weak link in Indian’s marketing plan on Aug 27 must have gotten the tongue of Robert Pandya External Relations Manager Indian Motorcycle.
    Indian dealers need a safe marketing area to insure the products success. Successful dealerships equal successful product sales. BMW motorcycles have a very small dealer network with large marketing areas and I think they outsell Victory M/C on a national basis.
    I’m not writting these thoughts to annoy management. Heck, I may even buy an Indian Chief. But, I will wait until I am sure they have a legitimate, strong dealer network first. Who wants to go to see the Indian products and trip over Honda’s, Suzuki’s, Yamaha’s etc if they start to dual with foreign brands?
    And if they don’t dual with foreign brands, present marketing area limitations will mean Indian stand alone dealerships will lose money. Game over. It is time to learn the mistakes made with Victory M/C’s marketing plan.Look at the Victory M/C dealership closures in the last 15 years.What product can survive that legacy?
    Other then this weak link, Indian is assured success. It may take many years to grab healthy market share from Harley, but they will be on the right track. They will only need dealers who can make some money and “stay the course”.
    P.S. I like the Black Indian Chief Vintage.

42. 42 will Aug 31st, 2013 at 4:49 am

Yo man come play zSilencer with us!