Good Bye To The Iconic Volkswagen Combi

Combivw1Combivw2After 6 decades, Volkswagen is ending the production of the iconic Volkswagen Combi.

Baby boomers among you remember its glory days at the time of the Vietnam war protests, when it became a symbol of the hippie community, synonymous of freedom on the road…

The Combi was made in Brasil since 1957 and 1,800,000 were produced. It was still exported in other South America countries and in Africa.

A special edition of 600 sold for about $35,000 is going to be the last chapter. Several websites are still devoted to the art of living in a VW Combi, feature classified and sell Combi gear, hippie or not.

16 Responses to “Good Bye To The Iconic Volkswagen Combi”

1. 1 Terence Tory Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Kombi,…..yo.

2. 2 CafeSportyTC Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:34 am

as a VW fan… the Kombi… really wasn’t a combi anymore… it lost its traditional aircooled motor gained a raidiator…. oh crap now i sound like one of those folks that say twin cooled is heresy ….. nevermind.

3. 3 Drive The Wheels Off Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:41 am

That’s too bad, but Thanks for the info. Here’s something similar VW fans can use to toast these great busses

4. 4 Kirk Perry Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:30 am

• Smug-buds – You can fit 5 kilos of marijuana under each kick panel, in the front of all kombi’s, crew-cabs, and panel vans (just below the headlights) and five more kilos under the front kick-pan under the cab (held by (8) hex-screws.

• The double-cab pick-up (stage coach) will hold 188 lbs. of hashish, behind those two inspection panels under the rear seat, if you first cut the fuel tank in half.
    The tank will read “full” but will now only hold 5 gallons.

We sure had fun summers living in Cantamar (trailer park) below Rosarito Beach, Baja California. Ran crazy during 1965-1969 down there. Honda 305 dirt bikes were the hap’s then, long before the Bultaco, Husky, Ossa, invasions.

So thanks (I guess) to Hitler and Ferdinand who delivered them. They were great 6V machines.

5. 5 BobS Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thank Ferdinand, fuck Adolf. Even evil dictators get lucky and find a visionary in their country every now and then.

6. 6 Bigalyts Oct 5th, 2013 at 11:27 am

who the Fuck knew that they still built the POS? It was back in 1970 when I rode to Penn State from Pittsburgh , which was a 2 1/2 hr drive, but it took 5 in the VW Van. that was the, first and last time I wanted to ride in that Whactamakalit.. I Have watched Velocity Channel and saw how much those Auction companies get for those Iconic VW Vans! The unbelievable Concept is having someone spend so much money to Build the thing, when they can Build a Custom Motorcycle and have a lot more Fun and impress a whole lot more People. I guess if I got BALLED in one of those Vans back in the day, maybe I would have a soft for the old VW.

7. 7 Olive Oil Oct 5th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Remember the 60’s? Did many miles across continental Europe and into Pakistan and Afghanistan. All in my Afghan coat and my hippy VW bus bought in Earls Court..

8. 8 Kirk Perry Oct 5th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

What helped the bus go faster was leaning over the steering wheel.

9. 9 Zipper Oct 5th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I drove one for a grocery store after school in the early sixtys. I flipped it on it’s side a few times and got buried in food. I would get some kids to help me get it back on it’s wheels. Almost indestructible. I thought I was cool until I read Kirk Perry’s story. Would much rather have been driving for him. ..Z

10. 10 Kirk Perry Oct 6th, 2013 at 11:16 am

It was a Californian from Newport Beach that perfected the VW panel-van (no side windows) by taking the OEM 15″ rims and “splitting them” for a 10″ i.d. width; then added 825 x 15 tires. The vans “done right” would have the rear wheel wells exterior wall cut to conform with the over-size tires, the cut-out had the raw edge turned-in, so the edge of the wheel wells looked factory. To create a “sports car” from a van, stiff Koni shocks keep the drive train rigid in corners. You couldn’t flip them. Not even when peaking on “orange sunshine” LSD, we’d just turn the music up and feel the Koni’s ratchet to support in negotiating 55 mph speeds in 35 mph curves. Dosed and fully in control.

11. 11 Kirk Perry Oct 6th, 2013 at 11:31 am

Look at the “sun” on the rear wheel well, that was the area that was cut and rolled. Feature then, all four tires with split-rims and the tire tread extending beyond the wheel wells about an inch, but not enough to sling mud.
    The final touch was removal of the OEM exhaust, and the same shop in Newport Beach would install headers and stainless steel megaphones, one exiting each side of the engine compartment. Headers sounded good on VW’s, much better than the pht-t-t, pht-t-t whistle of the baffled tailpipes that came stock.

12. 12 Kirk Perry Oct 6th, 2013 at 11:39 am

“You call them vans… we call them “loaders”. 🙂

13. 13 Kirk Perry Oct 6th, 2013 at 8:22 pm

In the year 2000, Santa Fe, NM artist Peter Aschwanden (the King of perspective drawing), told me that not since their first published 1969 Vol. 1, (b&w covers with black line graphics), spiral-wire bound, “How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive” has Volkswagen AG Wolfsburg ever contacted them about the use of their name.

14. 14 Kirk Perry Oct 7th, 2013 at 10:20 am

“How to Keep Your VW Alive (for the compleat idiot)” has sold over 10 million copies (that’s a-lots-a-readers) since 1969.

15. 15 gtlover Oct 7th, 2013 at 10:50 am

Ah, yes, the bow-legged road oiler. I owned a ’76 Camper Bus for several years, had some great road trips and generally got lots of thumbs up when cruising around. My wife and I are pretty sure our youngest was conceived in that bus after a Police concert.

16. 16 Terence Tory Oct 7th, 2013 at 11:11 am

My old man’s would do wheelies off the stop light and all the way across.He made the turbo piping and fitted the whole setup himself.