EBR0EBR1EBR1bisFrom the American International Motorcycle Exposition (AIMExpo) in Orlando. Less than 30 minutes ago, and after months of speculation from motorcycle dealers, sport bike enthusiasts and Media, Erik Buell Racing (EBR) unveiled their latest sport bike, the EBR 1190RX. While the new, street-legal high performance motorcycle is a direct descendant of EBR’s race-bred limited edition 1190RS Super Bike, the 1190RX features many new rider-focused features and is raising the bar over competitive sport bike offerings.

Most notably, the new motorcycle weighs-in at just 419 pounds, yet boasts 185 horsepower and 102 ft.-lbs. of torque from its ET-V2 1190 cc V-Twin engine. Few, if any, production motorcycles have ever produced this level of peak torque. The 1190RX’s wide torque band assures riders that ample power is available in every gear, and 21 traction control settings keep the power within the rider’s control in all road conditions.

EBR5Aside from boasting the broadest torque band, the new engine delivers a combined highway/city fuel economy of over 40 mpg. Likewise, the hydrocarbons and nitrous oxide exhaust emissions produced by the 1190RX are less than 25% of those allowed by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards. Carbon monoxide emissions are just 6% of the level allowed by U.S. federal regulations.

EBR3The breakthrough engine design and EBR’s racing-inspired handling features are coupled with all-new styling and scientifically-derived aerodynamics that can rival the performance and drivability of any superbike produced by any manufacturer in the world. The multi-function digital instrument gauge cluster allows the rider to adjust performance parameters such as traction control, as well as to access numerous functions including track performance data, service intervals and system diagnostics.

EBR4Perhaps the most surprising announcement during the unveiling and accompanying press conference, however, is the 1190RX’s price. The new model is being offered with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of just $18,995. The EBR 1190RX is completely assembled at EBR’s facility in East Troy, Wis., combining EBR’s in-house engineering and manufacturing capabilities with specialized components from world-class suppliers around the globe. Full-scale production is scheduled to begin in December, 2013. Erik Buell Racing.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

46 Responses to “Breaking News. Erik Buell Unveils His New American Sport Bike. The EBR 1190RX. $18,995.”

1. 1 Chris Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:35 am

2. 2 Paul Aiken Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Cool looking bike. Thanks Cyril for the news flash!

3. 3 Roger Goldammer Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Wow ! Beautiful machine, great news ! Love still seeing the old Buell in the new one, best of luck Eric and co. !!!

4. 4 Russ Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:52 am

WOW! I’m not much for these types of bikes but this is one bad looking machine and might just make me interested in this segment.

5. 5 Eric Maurer Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:56 am

185hp v-twin…. I want the motor for my next chopper project!

6. 6 Kickstand1 Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Who makes the engine?

7. 7 Steve Trujillo Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Rotax engine I believe.

Would love to see Eric put that type of ridiculous power in a chassis designed to handle like garbage. Instead of lighter and faster you could build it heavier and slower, that would be so cool!

Learn to ride and one day you’ll learn to love motorcycles. Until then, you’re just a scene’ster and really shouldn’t comment on EBR’s machine.

You know it’s sad but true!

8. 8 Wheelie Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Seriously? Chris made this comment: “419 pounds, 185 horsepower and 102 ft.-lbs. of torque. Nice to see Buell has not stopped their innovation and are continuing to push the industry.”

This is a simple copy cat of every GSXR, CBR, YZF or Ducati sport bike that ever came across the pond. Maybe it has a different power plant and it is made in America. So kudos to Eric for putting Americans to work. But pushing the industry with innovation? I highly doubt it!

And at $18995.00 I’ll buy myself a jap bike and have 7 grand left over.

Does Erik Buell realize the type of rider that wants this style of bike is younger and doesn’t have unlimited income to drop some big coin on a bike like this? And if they would have the cash why would they not buy a Ducati which has proven itself all over the world.

The bike may look nice but I believe they missed the mark on this one.

9. 9 Woody's Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Great HP & Emissions numbers from a V-Twin or any bike for that matter, now it’s up to the public to show if there’s a market for another player. I have no doubt there will be a great attention to detail and handling and there will always be adult enthusiasts willing to pay for a more limited production machine. What remains to be seen is if, ” just $18,995″ is an oxymoron or a true statement to enough buyers. Isn’t the ZX14 around $12k-$13K? Would love to see a road/track comparison of the new Buell to other sportbikes, and I’m sure a lot of magazines will be sold doing just that. Win/win ☺

10. 10 Marc Mazerolle Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Too fast for me!!! As for your comments “Wheelie”, I am thinking the torque could be a bit……or a lot different from a GSXr or CB whatever!!

11. 11 mike chadwick Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hi Cyril very nice and powerful like a pro like Eric Buell would design BUT people still prefer the old sporty engine , more Harley looking one – but he does not seem to understand this ?? this may be as good as a jap sport bike but unfortunately looks like a ducati/ jap cross- no heart and soull like most UJM’s also 19K ? prefer older 1/2 price ones- 1125R was an awesome bike but they did not sell- he obviously does not get the plot- the best is not always what punters want- after all V Rod is best HD motor but hated by many HD owners- Mike

12. 12 The Vintagent Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Motorcyclists are well known by Industry to be extremely conservative, and anything ‘different’ sufferes at the market. It’s completely understandable that EBR produce a bike which is instantly recognizable to street riders everywhere. John Bloor followed the same strategy with the revival of Triumph – they looked positively Japanese, and sold like hotcakes. Later on, he brought back the Bonneville…which sells like hotcakes. Smart business.

13. 13 Terence Tory Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

It seems to be just an update on the Rotax powered bike that Buell sold a few years ago.Good luck to them.

14. 14 SIGFREED Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Can one assume the 419lb is KERB weight? If so, then 102ft.lbs is a bona fide impressive torque figure – more so as it appears a relatively low 8200 r/min.

Ducati had for some time claimed their 1198- and subsequent 1199 models have class leading torque/weight figures. On the face of it, Eric Buell may well be the only serious contender for top honours in this segment.

Note: the 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale R claims 98ft.lbs (actually lbs.ft is technically a bit more correct – note Nm) at 9000r/min, for a KERB weight of 417lb. BUUUUT, the thing costs nigh on $30k.., eek!

All out power figures are all but meaningless, within reason naturally, notably for mere mortals riding freeways and trackdays at most – here torque is all that talks.

There is however a lot more to machines like these than talk a bout torque and power. Eg superbikes are today more electronically advanced than passenger planes were a few decades ago. How good is the Buell’s gizmo’s?

Frame deign and overall handling performance has been a Buell obsession since the HD FXR. In fact the Buell Harley handled so well, not only does God ride an FXR, it was so good that HD chased Buell away and they promptly made something that was as stable as a crab on ice, to replace it.

Ducati, BMW and Aprilia bring serious superbike contenders from Europe – with moocha street-cred to stand out from the rice-burner-crowd. That said, the Japanese are natural-born-superbike-makers (they are the undisputed Moto-GP heavyweight world champions) and such prowess spill over into their production bikes (albeit somewhat further derived from their mass-produced androids than Europe) at very competitive prices.

Canyon-carving is not the national sport in the US – at best it is a brief- and often remote indulgence; trackdays are about as good as it gets. Agile bikes are for Europe – how will Eurocentric take to an American superbike, when “American” bike (to them) means a hamburger with two patties as wheels. A few Japs may buy it as a novelty, but I cannot see Japan, being a major market.

Who are going to give support to the ‘new’ Buell? Eg where will it be serviced etc.

So the question remains – WHO WILL BUY THE NEW BUELL..?

15. 15 Rodent Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I agree with Wheelie. What dealer network? Harley? Indian?

16. 16 BobS Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Want want want! Now where are all the comment/ complaints about dealer network, lack of aftermarket suppliers, and plastic body panels???

17. 17 Jeff Nicklus Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

This will be a home run for Eric! Good job!

Over & Out,

Jeff

18. 18 Boomer Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Excellent! Great to see another American made bike enter the scene; especially one so dominated by the Japanese and Europeans. Hope it goes well. Even if a limited number are made and sold; it’s still good for the industry as a whole. From what I understand; this is the street legal version of the racing bike used for competition. Sure hope the riders who buy them know how to handle that kind of power.

19. 19 Laurence Zankowski Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Cyril,
    Erik,

Knowing that the KTM Adventure 1190 R uses a Rotax engine but at a 75° Cylinder angle, compared to yours at 72° , how does the sharper angle help in recognizing your specs and vision for this motorcycle? Are you still working with the idea mass consolidation/ centralization? Ideas on why you went with a conventional exhaust / collector than your under motor exhaust?

Be well

Laurence

Btw, i waxed your display bikes at the 1993 HD Dealer show in Tennessee.

20. 20 Bill Kniegge Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:20 pm

An incredible achievement … in fact beyond all imagination that Erik was able to and dared to do this without the support of Milwaukee’s Motor Co. Maybe that video of the last days under HD is what inspired him to such realize such a dream…
    So… we now have a new outrageous American Sport Tourer… Motus AND… and radical new American Sportbike! Who ever would have thought?!
    Blue Strada

21. 21 James just another crazy Kiwi Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Eric Buell has been through the mill in recent times.

He is an inovative engineer and deserves to succeed.

This is a real American alternative, not just some Fat Baby Boomers Bagger.

If he can get the price right hopefully they will sell.

Good Luck

22. 22 Drive The Wheels Off Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

@wheelie – fuel in frame & hub less wheels are 2 significant designs that refute the copy cat comment.

That only leaves the engine. I’d say they’ve done well there too with Rotax collaboration. I’ve ridden the 1125r and it was instantaneous acceleration, yet somehow linear …hard to understand until you’ve ridden it. I cannot imagine what the 1190 must be like.

@Laurence Zankowski – I’m pretty sure KTM builds their own motor, not Rotax.

23. 23 Dave Blevins Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Awesome machine, and just gorgeous. Congratulations EBR.

24. 24 burnout Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Just looking at the pics made me giggle. I have had Japanese sport bikes that were absolutely a thrill every time I rode them but they NEVER got the attention my Buell gets…… It may be slow compared to some but I LOVE the bike’s handling. Maybe one day I will own one of these shown? peace

25. 25 Matt Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:25 pm

$18,995, good luck with that!!!

26. 26 motojefro Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Cyril and Best of luck Eric.

27. 27 Rex Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:51 pm

The BMW S1000RR is 455lb wet and claims 193hp (Crank) and is in the 177 rwhp range. It is priced a bit lower but I think the EBR has it hands down in the cool as hell dept. $18-19 grand isnt bad for a bike that will stomp nearly if not all bikes in its class. This bike is on par with BMW HP4 which is hands down the best liter bike going right now and is $26k. Funny thing is to get a CVO bagger you might relive your wallet of $40,000 clams but somehow $18K seems outrageous for one of the top three most exotic high performance motorcycles on the planet. I sell bikes for a living (BMW and Indian) and I can tell you there is a market for this……wish we sold ‘em! Best of luck to Erik! BTW I own two tuber Buells and love them both.

28. 28 bartsky56 Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:26 pm

superbikes….they all look alike to me.

29. 29 rob Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:19 am

Rodent: Indian has a dealer network?

30. 30 TodT Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:58 am

Does anyone know where these are being built? I’m curious to find out….

31. 31 TodT Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:59 am

Sorry, East Troy, MI. just noticed it….

32. 32 Moore Sensible Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:32 am

East Troy, Wisconsin not Michigan (just an FYI). They told Erik he was nuts when he hand built his first H-D powered bikes and went racing. He did pretty well for himself. He’s also responsible for many, many innovations now seen regularly throughout the industry.

Having “The Mother Ship” (H-D) with all of their interoffice politics and infighting out of the picture won’t hurt him a bit; it will help him. I wish him and all my old friends in East Troy nothing but the best.

33. 33 JackS Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:11 am

I want one.

34. 34 CafeSportyTC Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:00 am

I would gladly take one if i could afford it, this is one of those things i would gladly stand on my stump and beat my chest saying I bought an american made product…I’m sure a good chunk of the part are manufactured elsewhere BUT… its an american company and I would rather sink my money into this than into a brand new GSXR.

35. 35 Terence Tory Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:11 am

CafeSportyTC.”American Made” is stretching it to the Max.At a guess: Italian frame,Jap inc shocks,Austrian motor,etc,etc. The brake calipers might have been made in the USA,(but I doubt it).

36. 36 BobS Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:36 am

Terence, everything made today involves globally sourced content. Even some of those foriegn sourced parts are made out of domestically souced material. I would not go to East Troy and say to Erik and staff that they are not making motorcycles in America.

37. 37 richard Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Looks like Americans now have an American built super bike. That’s great news. Coming from EBR I am willing to bet bet the power, torque and handling will put it on par or better than many of the foreign marques. I don’t ride fast anymore,,,I rarely scare the hell out of myself in corners…I love the comfort of upright seating etc., but I can appreciate the sporting bikes appeal. Good luck to EBR!

38. 38 Steve The Producer Johann Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Glad to see you moving forward Eric. With the help from HERO Motorcorp I am sure this bike will be made for sale abroad as well as home.

The EPA figures shown much like that of the New Indian drivetrain are designed for world sales where emissions ratings are much tighter than they are here. That’s the forward thinking you need to compete in the global econ.

Best of luck to you

39. 39 Drive The Wheels Off Oct 18th, 2013 at 11:24 am

@Terence Troy -

Last I heard the frames are made in the USA. The original XB frames were sourced from an Italian firm, but I think that changed with the 1125R.

It would be great to see more motorcycle engine builders in the USA, but a close 2nd is what EBR has done…collaborate with a renowned engine builder. Otherwise, the economics of taking on the development of a modern motor would likely keep the end goal from happening (a complete bike of your own design made/assembled in the States).

Reminder: HD worked with Porsche on HD’s most modern-spec engine. It would be interesting to compare the amount of collaboration HD contributed towards the Revo motor against what EBR contributed to Rotax for the 1190 motor.

40. 40 Terence Tory Oct 18th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Drive The Wheels Off,I doubt H-D had any input with Porsche in the V-rod motor development at all.H-D could not even get rid of quite minor oiling and overheating problems with the TC-88 without the late Jim Fueling’s R&D work.

I would be confident is saying that Rotax design,develop and manufacture their motors entirely in-house.Buell would get the motors ready to run,in a box.

41. 41 Drive The Wheels Off Oct 18th, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Rotax may manufacture their engines in-house but a guy like Erik Buell & the people he hires would not invest their life’s energy w/o having a significant design input into this motor

42. 42 bigalyts Oct 19th, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I truly believe that Eric Buell is one of the only w Corporation/Persons to get the best of HD Corporation. Why? Cause HD gave every Asset that they had from Buell including all of the rights and Projects and Engineering Projects on the Table and Drawing Board. I know that another Corporate Purchase was MV Agusta. This turned out a Mistake also. I believe HD told both Associates to tale everything and Go Away. Cyril is this a bit more politically correct?

43. 43 Eric Maurer Oct 21st, 2013 at 2:43 pm

yep Steve Trujillo, I am a scene’ster and should learn to ride so I can appreciate motorcycles. Thanks for making me see the light. I will never comment on Buell again.

44. 44 jcm Oct 22nd, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Neat bike, might sell. At that price point it is with the Ducati, Aprilia and BMW HP4. There is a market out there, but that crowd doesn’t typically visit Cyril’s site. However, unlike much of the cruiser crowd (hd/Indian), the sportbike crowd generally (except maybe Ducati) does not have blind brand loyalty and the bike will have to have the performance to match that price point. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other liter bikes in a shootout. From above, after what hd did to Buell, I doubt he’ll go there again. Indian sounds like a nice match to me.

45. 45 courtney2u Oct 24th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Congrats to Mr. Buell, no doubt!

But I sure hope these things come with a year supply of ludes, or some other downer of sorts. Apparently something stupid happens in the human brain when a person mounts one of these bikes: they suddenly OWN the road, and become blithering helmetless, flip flops & shorts & tank top wearing idiots on one wheel.

Most, that is, not all, but Most.

46. 46 Dale Oct 31st, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Best of luck to Erik and his team.

Indian Motorcycle