New DP Customs Box Pipe Exhaust System For Sportsters. Cool, Clean, Tuneable.

DP1DP2DP3When I featured the “Black & White” custom Sportster built by DP Custom Cycles, your comments were extremely positive. One of the parts of special interest was the one-off “boxed” custom exhaust system equipping this creation. Sportster owners began to harass DP shop owners and brothers Jarrod and Justin Del Prado, begging them to fabricate for them the same cool exhaust. No way the Del Prados could have satisfied the multiple demands of a one-off system, except going the production route for a standard Sportster fit and a more reasonable price.

DP4The 2 into 1 Box Pipe is a design collaboration between DP Customs and Ryca Motors with very reputable exhaust maker Bassani in charge of the manufacturing. Not only crisp lines to clean your bike lines, but also a cool removable tunable muffler baffle system that you can adjust to lower the amount of decibels. A variety of stainless steel end caps (included) adjust the amount of exhaust flow, allowing you to tune both sound and performance. I am told that this exhaust was Dyno tested and performed really well with a slightly higher pitch than stock Sportster pipes. Fits 1986-2003 Sportsters (’04-Present coming soon!). Mounting bracket and stainless hardware included. At DP Custom Cycles.
DP5

17 Responses to “New DP Customs Box Pipe Exhaust System For Sportsters. Cool, Clean, Tuneable.”

1. 1 Bill Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Love it. Price at $599 isn’t terrible either.

2. 2 Terence Tory Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:09 am

Looks good.Would run and look better with siamesed headers like the original XLCR.Working slightly better and sounding crisper than stock XL pipes doesn’t really mean much,they are strangled little cats.I doubt these would work with a freer breathing motor or cams.An aftermarket pipe without a dyno chart is just blowing hot air.Its a good first attempt though.

3. 3 Peter Davenport Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Will sell well…with Cyril’s help.

4. 4 richard Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Sportys always sound soooo cool. I’m not at all crazy about the “look” of these. Insofar as adjustable is concerned, I went to Rush slip ons on my Road king back in ’08. They have removable baffles and you can buy them with baffle size ranging from 1 1/2 diameter up to 2 1/2 diameter, in 1/4 increments. I believe I remember Rush saying that there is about a 10% difference in decibels for each 1/4 inch increase in size. They still look “traditional” and mine have a nice, mellow sound.

5. 5 LoneRider Nov 17th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Interesting design, the quarter open looks tooooo restrictive though. Good to see someone looking outside the “box” pun intended. A chambered design would be the next logical design step, less restrictive and a lot more tunable.

6. 6 JackS Nov 17th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I like it — a new & different product !!

7. 7 Industry guy Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Reminiscint of the buell blast exhaust system but 100x cooler!!

8. 8 Chris Jegger Nov 18th, 2013 at 8:02 am

Will buy soon when I get my new 2014 Sportster.

9. 9 Rod Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Aim the hot exhaust at the rear tire. Brilliant

Rod

10. 10 takehikes Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Exhaust aimed at the rear tire is a fine idea, cleans it off, keeps it warm….well until the motor starts blowing oil……

11. 11 richard Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:37 am

What happens to the “flow” when the exhaust makes that hard left hand turn from the headers into the muffler. It seems to me. it can’t help performance.

12. 12 Gunney Nov 18th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

huh, looks cool, wonder how well, the bike turns right ?

13. 13 Terence Tory Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

richard and Gunney.you are both right.I can’t see why the headers can’t be tucked in tighter towards the timing cover,and higher and more compact for RHS ground clearance.The shape or smooth curves of a four stroke exhaust don’t make any difference to gas flow at all,Exhaust headers can have square tubing and right angle “curves” and work much the same.Volume is way more important than pretty organic curves.The science of gas flow trumps intuition.

14. 14 burnout Nov 19th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Liking this. peace

15. 15 nicker Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Can’t help thinking that the average sporty owner is gonna go for “looks.”
    Don’t believe this is it…..
    (but then people buy huge wheels ???)

-nicker-

16. 16 Dan Nov 21st, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Make one for modern Bonnevilles!

17. 17 Frank Carola Mar 26th, 2014 at 2:56 am

Very Buellesq! I like them! Just hope they have better lower mounting isolaters than the Buells as I would break Buell pipes/mufflers/mounts every 2000 miles with alarming regularity.

Crusher