Burning The Midnight Oil Building Motorcycles

In a push to help new custom builders and to inspire others to pursue their passions, a documentary from aspiring filmmaker Gabriel Priestley currently doing his senior year at the University Of New Mexico, about a young motorcycle builder named Met Haynes (Haynes Custom Iron.) Building bikes makes him a much happier person …

Barnett Harley-Davidson

14 Responses to “Burning The Midnight Oil Building Motorcycles”

1. 1 Rodent Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:14 am

Nice flick with bikes built to ride on real roads.

2. 2 richard Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Great clip. It’s nice to know guys like this are still doing it “the old fashion way”. It’s all about having the passion….

3. 3 Drive The Wheels Off Dec 24th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Good find!
    A motorcycle film with the right music & the right amount of music, at the right time in the film

It would have been good to hear the “Internal Combustion Orchestra” at speed at the end, but the view from the saddle & that guitar work was very cool, man. great job finishing the dialogue with that music

worth a re-print-

Gabe Priestley – film
    Met Haynes – builder
    Thomas Hemsing – musician…have to find his music for purchase

4. 4 James just another Crazy Kiwi Dec 24th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I always find independent low key builders like him very interesting.
    And what’s even more cool is. He is not old.

From left field, I was told that we cannot buy second hand MC parts now on e bay.
    Punched in Flanders risers and all it had was new ones and now anything that is old is now new old stock.
    Others are finding the same thing, is it like that in the USA. ?

HD dealers do not sell to us as it was always worth while for us (Cheaper) but the company will now not allow it.
    State controlled spending is communism. So it is not a state, but big business.
    Dam near the same thing these days.
    Beware the isms.

Peasant James

5. 5 Zipper Dec 25th, 2013 at 9:34 am

The real deal. ..Z

6. 6 Biker64 Dec 25th, 2013 at 10:11 am

Would rather watch a show about guys like this then the clowns of OCC anyday!

7. 7 Martin Twofeather Dec 25th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Does it get better than this? I don’t think so…………………………..

8. 8 Ghost of Christmas Past Dec 26th, 2013 at 8:26 am

AGREED!!! Biker64…
    reminds me I need to get back to New Mexico roads next year!!!

9. 9 A 1 MIKE Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:12 am

GREAT VIDEO..COOL KAT..BUT I GUESS I SCREWED UP MY PASSION BY OPENING A SHOP 17 YEARS AGO…I DONT HAVE THE EDUCATION TO WORK FOR THE GOVT…JUST DIE FOR THEM WHILE A MARINE.HES DOING IT RIGHT…IM JUST ABOUT BURNT OUT. I DREAM ABOUT A HOME SHOP AND DOING WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT..GREAT MOVIE AND FOOD FOR THOUGHT

10. 10 Heavy Metal Dec 26th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I liked the video and the builder seems articulate in his perception. Once you make your hobby a business you no longer have a hobby.

11. 11 B. Temple Dec 26th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

A 1 Mike. I agree. Custom building should stay a hobby to remain pure and satisfying. If you go in business, one day you realize that years passed by and that you didn’t make a decent living. Passion supports you until it erodes. You feel burned out… Not the first one, not the last one arriving at the same conclusion. Was it worth it?

12. 12 A 1 MIKE Dec 26th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

B. TEMPLE … everday is worth it.i get upset sometimes and vent..then I think of the times ive had the friends around the world, the shows, the t.v. stuff, the awesome rides..ive lead a rich life but im not rich! lol..still plugging away.

13. 13 JC Dec 28th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Been friends with Met a while now. Super cool cat and has a real passion for bikes.
    Great vid brother. Need to come visit with my ride and hit those roads.

14. 14 Ron Dec 30th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I liked that, seems like a cool guy and the sentiment was spot on. I also really know where he is coming from, I love putting stuff together (whatever it is) in the garage and if it became full-time I’m not sure it would be so fun anymore. There is so much freedom in just building for yourself.