S&S Cycle. Don’t Settle For Stock.

This is the second episode of the S&S Cycle Proven Performance video series “Don’t Settle For Stock.” In the first episode you witnessed life in the “Stockyard”, dull, monotonous, and stifling, with a repressive regime a man who has chosen not to settle…In this second video, he finds out that he is not alone, and he begins to put his choice into action.  With the help of other like-minded independent individuals, will he be able to break free, or will he be discovered by the Stock Corps and its P.I.G., the enforcers of the four tenets of conformity?

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

10 Responses to “S&S Cycle. Don’t Settle For Stock.”

1. 1 chopmonster66 May 29th, 2014 at 11:16 am

I just got me a new S&S 145 twin cam built by the legend Wink Eller , who needs stock…..

2. 2 richard May 29th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

The first one was really bad.. This one approaches inane. Who are S&S marketing to? Obviously, I’m missing something.

3. 3 Shifter May 29th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Like this video. Different. You need to be open minded.

4. 4 Rodent May 29th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

You make better hard goods than movies

5. 5 kiwished May 30th, 2014 at 12:17 am

If you need parts just break into S&S and help your self seems to be the message!

6. 6 Doc Robinson May 30th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

It’s a bit drawn out but very clever nevertheless. The message is that in this world of ever increasing forced conformity, rather than submit to a colorless corporation and its enforcers (think EPA and many governments in many countries) you need to break free. The burglary scenes are a metaphor, kwished.

7. 7 qajaqr May 30th, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Orson-esque, and very creative. The erudite will connect; the others simply do not matter.

8. 8 Jusmecuz May 31st, 2014 at 6:58 am

I think my wife may be a secret informant and supporter of the Stock Corps… Every time I plan to order cool parts, she discourages my efforts. It’s all starting to make sense now….

9. 9 Bob D. May 31st, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I think this series is pretty clever. Just by getting people to talk about it–good or bad–it’s accomplishing its goal, and the basic message of stock = conformity = dull/sheeplike is hard to miss.

It’s just a different twist on an old message. Most post-WWII marketing of U.S. motorcycling in general, and modified V-twins in particular, has been based at least in part on an appeal to nonconformity and a “rebel” image. Not claiming this bears any relation to the real lifestyle of most people buying late model HDs, but it has definitely sold some bikes over the years.

With many motorcycle brands now going the way of the automobile manufacturers and rewarding customers for keeping bikes stock or “customized” only with manufacturer’s parts, I think it’s smart, and timely, for S & S to poke fun at those too timid to stray from stock.

Having said that, I also think it depends on who put together the concept and the videos. If it was a local effort then I think it’s pretty impressive; if they paid big bucks to Wieden + Kennedy or Leo Burnett, maybe not so much.

At the end of the day, though, I like it! It’s funny and engaging and that’s always welcome in today’s world.

10. 10 Engelbert H. Jun 2nd, 2014 at 8:57 am

The video had some creative elements to it if only I could have watched it to it’s entirety. Way to long.i am not a marketing executive but I do have good common sense that as a 1 minute commercial this could have been pulled off, as a feature presentation this really turns any perspective buyer to suicidal tendencies.