SS1S&S2Don’t let increasingly stringent emissions laws and stronger enforcement stop you from installing a bigger engine in your Harley-Davidson® big twin or from building custom bikes. S&S Cycle has emissions compliant engines for both custom building, replacement and improvement. No more licensing hassles or costly emissions compliance testing. S&S has already done the testing, so you don’t have to.

S&S Cycle’s offering of emissions compliant engines varies depending on the regulatory agency that has jurisdiction over where the engine is to be sold and used. For example, in North America, S&S offers 50-state legal engines for replacement of stock engines in 1984-’98 chassis and both 49-State and 50-State legal packages for custom-built vehicles with 1984-’99 style chassis. S&S’ TÜV approved offering for the European Union covers 1984-’06 style chassis.

Custom builders should also not overlook the proprietary S&S X-Wedge® engine offered in 49-State and 50-State packages.

S&S emissions compliant engines are available to S&S dealers, but are also perfect for custom vehicle manufacturers. S&S also offers complete vehicle emissions testing at the S&S emissions lab at the S&S facility in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Don’t let emissions regulations become a problem when S&S Cycle has the solution. For more information, click here or contact your S&S Customer Service representative.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

10 Responses to “Challenge The Road. Not The Law. S&S Offers Street Legal Engines For The US And Europe.”

1. 1 Paul Cubik Jun 4th, 2014 at 8:54 am

The best, the only one aftermarket brand.

2. 2 Brett Jun 4th, 2014 at 9:03 am

My HD engine is out of breath 71,000 miles! Will buy an S&S because I can’t buy the Indian Thunderstroke 111″

3. 3 grmp54 Jun 4th, 2014 at 9:51 am

Replaced my 94RK 80 cid at just under 80k with a 111 this winter. What a difference! Only replacement I even considered!

4. 4 knucklehead on a panhead Jun 4th, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Hmmmm….

That’s odd!

When my motor, whether it’s a factory H-D or not, ONLY needed the top end “freshened” up and that was depending on how I rode that particular bike. I am usually able to get 60,000-100,000 out of a motor before refreshing the top end.

Why buy a complete motor when you can do the valve work (ie valves, valve guides, seats), re-hone,replace rings, pistons and head gasket? All for well under 1K if you do the dis/installation yourself minus the machine work.

I’m starting to think maybe I’m a poverty stricken backwoods hillbilly having to do the work myself rather than just “slapping” down $5000-$10,000 on a brand spanking new motor! Believe it or not, I have a 1984 FXRS that has had the top end rebuilt 3 times and haven’t touched or split the cases yet. The speedo broke on it as had turned over and was coming up on what would have been 200,000 miles ago and the last top end rebuild, so I’m thinkin it’s got somewhere around 220-225,000! Even though it rarely gets ridden these days, I’m reasonably confident it will make it to 300! Providing time and rust don’t beat me to it!

5. 5 knucklehead on a panhead Jun 4th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Sorry….Last comment….

S & S makes a good product and has been around for a long time….

However, I am the owner of a few Total Performance motors and have NOTHING but good things to say about their product.

I didn’t, nor would I ever put S & S down, I’m just saying there are companies such as TP who take pride AND stand by their product. Don’t be fooled into thinking S & S is the ONLY remedy to your “re-placement parts and/or motor.

6. 6 curly Jun 5th, 2014 at 2:09 am

Yep,rebuild your top end and less hassle to.

7. 7 Bruce Tessmer Jun 5th, 2014 at 7:56 am

Bruce from S&S here.
    I just want to say that there are several views expressed here in these comments, and they are all valid. If you’re happy with the performance of your stock engine, good on you! Rebuild it. (Shameless Promotion Alert) We offer a lot of parts to do just that in our Viola V-Twin line of service parts. But, if you want something more without having to worry about “the man” the street legal engines are just the ticket. Of course if you are builiding a new custom bike we can also supply a good, street legal power plant. As always, we urge you to support the US economy and buy American!

8. 8 grmp54 Jun 5th, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thought about rebuilding the stock 80 incher but that is what you end up with… an 80 incher. Wanted more horses and for the cost of trying to do that with a pre 96 evo and getting a dependable motor, the decision was easy. Do a little research and you can find a brand new S&S for well under 5 grand.

I have rebuilt many motors in my riding career which is coming up on 50 years this summer, and there’s no substitute for horsepower. My 54 pan which I have had for 30 of those years was at one time an early stroker with flatty 80 wheels in it. Last bottom end on it went about 105,000. That was after 5 top ends including an explosive stuck valve on the way to Sturgis in 1986. Front piston ate it for lunch and the bottom end survived. So I realize bottom ends will go alot further than 80,000, but if you want horsepower, pre 96 evo motors are not the ones to pump up. I will sell you one that could use a little top end refreshing, reasonable even!

9. 9 BCinSoCal Jun 9th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Have used 4″ X 4″ 100″ S&S, have used 121″ TPs on several builds with great results also a couple 110″ Rev Techs in the past couple of years found them to be very good now. And for personal rider stock 80″ FXR , and old Knuckleheads are great fun!

10. 10 Blackmax Jun 9th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Yo, Bruce, Ol’ buddy,
    Thanks for interjecting some common sense
    Said it before & will say it again
    Except for very few others, you can never go wrong with S & S