Do You Take Electric Motorcycles Seriously?

Electric motorcycles have come a very long way and are now taken very seriously even by the most traditionalist bikers. On the famous and arduous Isle Of Man TT course, Zero winner John Mc Guinness set a new lap record for electric motorcycles, with a time falling under 20 minutes (19’ 17.30) very close to the best times of internal combustion engine motorcycles. Watch the video of Mc Guinness amazing full lap at this year’s world most dangerous and demanding road course.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

21 Responses to “Do You Take Electric Motorcycles Seriously?”

1. 1 Greeko Jun 15th, 2014 at 9:43 am

Wow!

2. 2 Brutus Jun 15th, 2014 at 9:43 am

Amazing ride.

3. 3 P. Hamilton Jun 15th, 2014 at 9:44 am

Want to see it while being there.

4. 4 Woody Jun 15th, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I take ‘em as seriously as an F1 car or a rocket sled. Very cool but has nothing to do with my life in the foreseeable future.

5. 5 Nobody Jun 15th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I’ve always taken EV’s of any flavour serious. Mostly i’ve been just waiting for the range & speed of recharge to get to where they’re what i need them to be in order to comsider them a viable alternative.

6. 6 nicker Jun 15th, 2014 at 11:36 pm

As i see it, this isn’t about “taking (some technology) seriously.”
    The issue is why try inserting new technology into an existing process if there is nothing to be gained.
    The issue is simply about upsetting the apple cart.

For example.
    NASCAR rejects OHC technology wasn’t relevant to their format.
    Push-rod V8s are their technology of choice and insinuating OHC motor has no value.

Another example would be the introduction of rear engine Indy cars.
    What was wrong with the front engined roadsters?
    Why was it necessary to introduce F1 technology into a well ordered process.
    Hell sprint cars are as cool as ever, why was it necessary to upset the apple cart….???

Another example might be the introduction of parabolic skis. The ability to turn a straight cut ski is quite a technically exacting task. On the other hand turning a parabolic-cut ski simply requires moving your knees. It simplifies places skiing skill into the same category as driving skill when one introduces digital traction control.

What is “serious” is competitors developing skills without the ever increasing introduction of “technology” for its own sake. How well would Micky Mantle have batted with the balls and bats that Babe Routh used…… ???

IMHO
    -nicker-

7. 7 BCinSoCal Jun 16th, 2014 at 8:56 am

Nicker, the future is now, we must move forward with current trends , next year 30″ wheel baggers trying to complete a lap before dark, with stereo blaring!

8. 8 Lugnut Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:42 am

I do take them seriously, because I have been riding around in a Nissan Leaf for a few months. I assure you, I am the last person your would have expected to say good things about this alternative a year ago. But, the state of Georgia gives $5,000 to anyone that leases a Leaf, and me and several thousand others decided that if Georgia wanted to give away money, we would take it.

I have to say it has been great. Nope – can’t go more than around 70 miles before you start to sweat, but I quickly figured out that most of the trips I take are way less than 70 miles. The next version is supposed to allow for around 180 miles of travel.

If an electric bike could get you 200 miles of travel, its a game changer just from a transportation point of view – forget the cool factor.

9. 9 barefoot jerry Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:50 am

yes ,I do take them seriously too coz silence is the best and most natural thing on this planet .
    soon i will own one .

10. 10 Tobby Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:56 am

That rider’s ability to NOT have to shift probably gained him a minute. 100% concentration on the curves without worrying about resetting the gear or power every 20 seconds.

11. 11 Martin Twofeather Jun 16th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Well when the last gas motor leaves the planet I will be dead so no I don’t see this in my future,having rode the Zero in Daytona as fun as it was it’s for someone else not me…….

12. 12 Iron Horse Jun 16th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Pretty wild ride.

The lack of noise, other than the acceleration whine still creeps me out though.

13. 13 nicker Jun 17th, 2014 at 12:05 am

BC——

RE:
    “… the future is now, we must move forward with current trends….”

Why?
    The only place the “current trends” have taken us is a population of people with no grasp of reality.
    Blue time-out-cards to get future worriers through the rigors of boot-camp. And the inability to catch a meal without Jack-in-the-box.

We were once able to put a man on the moon…..
    Do you really think NASA could pull that off today…???

Get back to me when they return to teaching kids the multiplication table instead of throwing a calculator at em.

-nicker-

14. 14 Woody Jun 17th, 2014 at 8:38 am

I think any technology gets taken more seriously when taxpayers don’t have to pay people to use it.

15. 15 Big Red Jun 18th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

There was an electric motorcycle in the races at the Vintage festival 2 years ago at Barber Motorsports Park. It easily won the race. Other than the lack of noise it was no different than any of the other fully faired race bikes. I took it seriously after that.

16. 16 07ness Jun 18th, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I’ll take the internal combustion version any day. Leave it to the liberals to destroy anything normal or fun. I’ll take the sound of my Aprilia v4 anyday . If Obama wants to ride a vacuum let him. They will have drag my internal combustion motorcycles away from dead F’n body.

17. 17 07ness Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Perhaps with dual saddlebags it could be equipt with a toaster oven and a microwave. From the people I see riding American iron here in NJ It would be the best thing since foodstamps and disability.

18. 18 Bad Billy Jun 20th, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Well, yeah! Who ever thought of internal combustion engines, or jet engines, or rockets?

19. 19 Bad Billy Jun 20th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Oh yeah, how about fuel injection and electric starters?

20. 20 BCinSoCal Jun 24th, 2014 at 1:25 am

Nicker it was sarcasm , aimed at ” current trends” like 30″ wheel baggers.

21. 21 SassyBigBoy Jun 24th, 2014 at 2:08 am

Awesome and if you haven’t been you need to go