H_D-Electric1H_D-Electric2Not yet for sale, Harley-Davidson invites consumers to ride, react and shape the future of this new electric motorcycle. See it, hear it, feel it.  H-D Invites is bringing innovation to the street and is inviting everybody to ride and tell them what you think. A 2014 U.S. tour – kicking off with a journey down Route 66 – will visit more than 30 Harley-Davidson dealerships now through the end of the year. In 2015, the Project LiveWire Experience will continue in the U.S. and expand into Canada and Europe. The tour across America will continue June 24th in New York City, where riders will be invited to take a historic ride. The other stops announced this morning are in Boston June 27th-29th and Philadelphia July 17th-19th. Other 2014 stops to be announced very soon.

H_D-Electric3“America at its best has always been about reinvention,” said Matt Levatich, President and Chief Operating Officer, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “And, like America, Harley-Davidson has reinvented itself many times in our history, with customers leading us every step of the way. Project LiveWire is another exciting, customer-led moment in our history.” Spurred by this heritage, the Project LiveWire Experience invites customers to test ride, provide feedback and learn more about the story of the motorcycle. Even those who don’t yet ride will have the opportunity to feel the power of Project LiveWire through Jumpstart – a simulated riding experience. “This builds on many recent reinvention successes for Harley-Davidson.” said Levatich. “In just the last few years, we’ve broadened our reach to serve an increasingly diverse society, as well as reinvented our approach to product development and manufacturing. This has resulted in cutting-edge products like the recently launched Project Rushmore touring bikes, Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750 models and this reveal of Project LiveWire.”

H_D-Electric4“Project LiveWire is more like the first electric guitar – not an electric car,” said Mark-Hans Richer, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “It’s an expression of individuality and iconic style that just happens to be electric. Project LiveWire is a bold statement for us as a company and a brand.” The bike offers a visceral riding experience with tire-shredding acceleration and an unmistakable new sound. “The sound is a distinct part of the thrill,” said Richer. “Think fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Project LiveWire’s unique sound was designed to differentiate it from internal combustion and other electric motorcycles on the market.”

H_D-Electric5H_D-Electric6Longer term plans for retail availability of Project LiveWire will be influenced by feedback from riders along the Project Livewire Experience tour.
“We offer a no excuses riding experience in everything we do and we are led by what our customers tell us matters most,” said Richer. “Because electric vehicle technology is evolving rapidly, we are excited to learn more from riders through the Project LiveWire Experience to fully understand the definition of success in this market as the technology continues to evolve.”

H_D-Electric7As riding in the great outdoors is one of the best elements of motorcycling, sustainability remains a core strategic focus at Harley-Davidson. “Preserving the riding environment is important to all of us,” said Levatich. “Project LiveWire is just one element in our efforts to preserve and renew the freedom to ride for generations to come. As a company that has seen success for 111 years, we think in generational terms about our great riding environments for the next 111 years.”

Fans can learn more about the Project LiveWire, as well as specific dates and locations at Project LiveWire Experience projectlivewire.com.  Harley-Davidson also invites anyone who is interested in the possibilities of the future to follow and engage with the company on its social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

82 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Reveals Project Livewire. The First Electric Bike You Will Like?”

1. 1 troll Jun 19th, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Obama approved…no freakin’ way

2. 2 John Y. Jun 19th, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hmmm… Harley bars with a row of battery charging stations out front. How Macho!
    How long ya reckon it will take for the battery acid spills to eradicate the oil spots on the sidewalk? How many lives will be lost by the lack of LOUD PIPES?
    The age old Harley rider question: Got any 70 weight? Will be replaced by: can I borrow your extension cord? Interesting times!

3. 3 James just another Crazy Kiwi Jun 19th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

The guys that have to attend electric car accidents do not like the problems associated with the battery’s
    They are dangerous !!!
    Electric motors are a soulless appliance. Nothing less, nothing more.
    My employment means I am in contact with electric motors up to 500 hp and they are simply boring.
    I nearly steeped out in front of an electric car in a car park recently, I did not hear it, Eventually they will all have flashing lights and audible alarms…fun ,fun fun
    As a promotional stunt it sure takes the focus off Indian…think about it !

4. 4 BigWave916 Jun 19th, 2014 at 3:01 pm

@MattW.

According to an article on Autopia: “Harley did most of the chassis work – it’s been building bikes since the dawn of internal combustion, so ti’s got that down pat – but brought in experts like Mission Motors for help with things like the motor controllor.”

I beleive Mission Motors is a California company that has produced, or is producing an electric motorcycle of this type but with a $60,000 price tag.

As for Victory and Indian, or Polaris in general, I don’t think they are going to be too shook up. Polaris owns GEM an electric vehicle company and has an interest in Brammo, an electric scooter/motorcycle company.

5. 5 BigWave916 Jun 19th, 2014 at 3:09 pm
  6. 6 chop Jun 19th, 2014 at 3:13 pm

What NO 40″ front wheel………..

7. 7 USAYGO Jun 19th, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Nice looking, but electric vehicles just not my cup of octane

8. 8 JackS Jun 19th, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I like it for the millennial urban commuter and am sure I would enjoy riding one. Every H-D owner on this blog should like it too! After all, the margins the motor company makes when you buy a big twin would help pay for this new profit-sucking leach. Nonetheless, this is brilliant marketing on H-D’s part. It is forward looking, but there is no commitment to manufacture. And maybe this will serve to pull in a few targeted Street buyers. As a shareholder, I will watch carefully and will be ready to dump if they electrify without improving Earnings Per Share.

9. 9 Blackmax Jun 19th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Well, well, well, this certainly was a unexpected surprise
    Especially from H-D !!!
    I’m not a fan not in the least !!!!
    You’ll have to pry my gas powered V-twin from my Cold Dead Hands !!
    but it is a brave new world we are entering & there seems to be
    (judging from the comments here ) interest enough.
    It is a very forward thinking idea & the market will soon tell us if there is a place for it or not
    We Will be Watching !!!!!
    And if it gets anywhere near me, yeah, I’ll hop on for a ride just to see what it’s going to be like..
    They better find a way to put a “chip” in there to make some kind of rumble. LOL !!!!

10. 10 Lambo Jun 19th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Part of the experience, for me, is the motor sound and visceral feel of a vibrating motor – yes they have tons of torque, fast (0-60 in about 4) but dont think I would buy one. Formula 1 is headed in same direction, the have Formula E now (google it ). They actually added “fake” engine sound to enhance the spectators experience. Maybe I need to develop an Itunes app that plays Pot-A-To, Pot-A-To” a sell it to HD?

11. 11 Dave Blevins Jun 19th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I don’t hate it, but wouldn’t want one either. I am thinking back to 1985 and the “new Coke” idea…

12. 12 Vinny Jun 19th, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Battery technology is just not even close to being useful at this point. I wouldn’t spend a dime on this and noone will hear it, you’ll get run off the road by some moron.

13. 13 Sheridan Jun 19th, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Probably the first time I’ve ever said this, but … Well done HD!!

14. 14 Seymour Jun 19th, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I like it.

So what about the charging. Didn’t your horse need to eat while you were in the saloon? Nothing’s changed.

15. 15 Dave Jun 19th, 2014 at 9:21 pm

WOW! An electric vibrator on two wheels!

16. 16 david uhl Jun 19th, 2014 at 11:14 pm

birlliant

17. 17 Tom Ryan Jun 20th, 2014 at 12:20 am

Too bad they couldn’t put a Sportster or big twin motor in there instead.

18. 18 nicker Jun 20th, 2014 at 1:06 am

RE:

“… no routine powertrain maintenance, offers instant torque and breathtaking acceleration, does not use gas but energy from within the country, is lighter, is more economical for the long term, does not produce much heat, etc. Carefree ownership…..”

Well if that’s all motorcycling means to the Allan Alda types, why bother even buying an e-bike when you can “ride” a no-fuss-no-bother “Jumpstart simulator” ….. ???

“… those who don’t yet ride will have the opportunity to feel the power of Project LiveWire through Jumpstart – a simulated riding experience ..”

-nicker-

19. 19 Sportster Mike Jun 20th, 2014 at 2:27 am

Electric IS the future – probably… but its NOT green if your power comes from a coal fired power station

I like the style of this bike – very Ducati like – as are the mirrors/Indicators

Charging stations here in England very few and far between – if they work – and apparently there is ‘charging rage’ where you go shopping thinking you are charging up and in the meantime someone has pulled your plug out and theirs in!

20. 20 Wilhelm Jun 20th, 2014 at 6:31 am

@Matt W.: if that is their intention, why introduce it in the U.S. and Europe first and get all the wrong feedback from all the wrong people?

21. 21 jaimes lewis moran Jun 20th, 2014 at 6:59 am

why no caf(E) racer by juicer e-motorbicycles

22. 22 MMA Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:05 am

If they are dumping this into the demo fleet I would have to think that there are two things in play:

1. Fast charging time.

2. Longer than anticipated range. If the range is only 100 miles, they will get roughly 10 demos out of each bike before it needs a charge.

I like this better today than I did yesterday, and I’ll say it agin; New Road Glide, VRod Muscle, Street 750, and Livewire. These are bikes I am excited about riding. I’m not giving up my 09 FXDF, but I’m excited about these alternatives.

23. 23 Woody Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:46 am

I think it looks great, and in the short run (no pun intended) the current battery tech is fine since most folks’ daily ride is a short one anyway. The problem that remains is the same as always-despite subsidies and government wrangling, no current battery family yet exists for electric vehicles that isn’t a major drawback in some way. That relegates these vehicles in most cases to being an expensive toy, a second vehicle that often costs more than the primary one. On top of that tax money from people who are struggling to pay for their FIRST vehicle often gets used to subsidize some wealthy person’s next toy. People love to just call, “hater” if anyone dares to say anything negative about current all-electric vehicles, it’s easier than admitting that technology doesn’t always advance at a certain speed just because some czar demands it.

24. 24 Junkman Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:22 am

Neat technology but if the dealers put it in the back of the dealership behind all of their top selling bikes like they did with Buell…it is doomed.

25. 25 Patrick Gaffney Jun 20th, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Looks better then almost all the other electric m/c but is
    this going to be American Made in the US with American
    products?

26. 26 James just another Crazy Kiwi Jun 20th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

This is not the beginning….but the beginning of the end.
    The federales and the hand wringing liberals trying to save the the lesbian whales will love this.

The Soccer Muppets driving their snot covered genetic off shoots to school, will now say sorry officer I did not hear the motorcyclist…all while batting her valium laced eye lids at the retarded piglet.
    What a shame , never mind, move on, after all they are the last of the Gasoline Neanderthals.
    A failed and dangerous species.

With this one Motorcycle HD have leapt to a place well away from the hard core who so faithfully kept them afloat during the dark and dangerous 70’s and 80’s

God help us all for we are doomed, doomed I say

27. 27 bigalyts Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:21 am

I asked and No one answered! How many of these Bikes are HD thinking they are going to sell and not just the first year? Is it a possibility that they could Scrap the Project and then start Producing the Electric Bikes later on. I believe everyone will want one but not buy one! I believe that their feasibility will be Judged and the Bikes will be shelved. The Electric Golf Cart was a great Idea cause it worked for 18 Holes and then Charged. Then Custom Golf Carts were made and Gas was the preference cause they were going to be used for other purposes such as Transportation. I don’t think in the Vast Highways and Roads that America has to offer will be a 6 mile range s30,000 Motorcycle. I do agree that it is Beautiful and I think HD is back on top with their ability to be # 1. I think that they have the ability to Build Bikes that are Truly worth riding, owning and are better than, Victory and are the other, restored Old Brands.

28. 28 Woody Jun 21st, 2014 at 12:41 pm

@bigalyts the answer is easy, “None”. They won’t sell any, nor did they plan to. I think the bigger question(s) are; will it evolve into a production bike, what would that product & pricing be, and how many of THOSE is HD thinking they are going to sell and not just the first year? This is more like a test platform and concept car at the Auto Show rolled into one. With current corporate structure they’re crazy not to dump a few million into it if they have the earnings to do it.

29. 29 sollis Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Nice looking bike. design and tecnologie fits great together

30. 30 BCinSoCal Jun 23rd, 2014 at 9:31 am

It is a cool looking thing for the younger sport bike crowd, how many grey beards do you see on sport bikes, so there is a market out there for it. 53 mile range?! It’s a 1600 mile ride to Sturgis for me, 32 stops?! Better leave now….

31. 31 Don Won Jun 24th, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Rodent<
    what are you doing in an electric car, at the two biggest bike rallies in the country?

32. 32 Mis. Behaves Jun 25th, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I like it, I am not getting rid of my gas hog (hahaha) but I defiantly want to test ride it, and possibly buy one.. THIS all depends on actual mileage, I read one article that say 130 miles and a second that said 50 per charge. If I cant get to work and back.. I will not be interested.

x