Born To Burn Rubber Custom Harley Sportster

TwoLane1TwoLane2 TwoLane3 TwoLane4Brothers and best friends Jarrod and Justin Del Prado from DP Customs are big fans of car and motorcycle racing, and when nothing is on tv schedule, they spend their relaxation time watching and re-watching road movies. It explains their unique building style, always borrowing visual elements and gimmicks found on the diverse machines of all those racing for the checkered flag or against the clock. Named “Two-Lane”, their latest creation, is loosely inspired by “Two-Lane Blacktop”, a 1971 movie featuring two men drag racing across the USA in a primer grey 55 Chevy.

TwoLane5TwoLane6Based on a 2003 Sporty 1200 cc for a client who gave the Bros all freedom custom builders may wish, “Two Lane”  creates its own identity by the unusual choice of a pair of racing car wheels. In the front, a 18″ drag racing wheel from Radir and in the rear a 15″ from American Racing. The front wheel had to be machined to work with the Harley axle and bearings. A choice that required some machining work. The rear needed a custom flange and the Harley hub had to be welded in. The front tire is a Firestone tire, the rear a Hoosier drag tire. By the way, today Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. is still the largest race tire manufacturer in the world and all Hoosier race tires are proudly “Made in the USA” in Indiana. And it just happens that the Del Prado’s client is from this state…

TwoLane13TwoLane14With such wheels and tires, engine could not stay in its Harley factory configuration. Performance was improved with a Revolution Performance 1250cc cylinder and piston kit, a 42mm Mikuni carburetor, and a Dynatek’s single fire ignition and coil. For a tough, ready to burn rubber look, a deep gray gun coating was applied to the rocker boxes, cam cover and primary. Engine & tranny were cradled in a “muscled up” drop-seat hardtail frame sourced at Led Sled Customs to which was attached a cool Springer front end produced by Chassis Design Company. Rear braking is handled by a 4-piston Performance Machine sprocket rotor and clutch lever is from ISR.

TwoLane11TwoLane12Then, the Del Prados went to hammering some sheet metal to form the one-off rear cowl and seat pan. When done, Justin added to the Sportster strong personality by signing it with a custom “lake pipe” style exhaust. Bodywork preparation and spray paint was done by Walkers Way, with hand lettering by Ron Hernandez. DP Customs LLC.
TwoLaneBrothers

33 Responses to “Born To Burn Rubber Custom Harley Sportster”

1. 1 Zipper Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:36 am

03, the last of the good XL’s. …Z

2. 2 Rodent Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Nice, but I would change the tires.

3. 3 Marc Mazerolle Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:54 am

very cool bike.

4. 4 Jay Horton's Private Shop Sep 29th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Sweet! Later Jay

5. 5 Steve Carr Sep 29th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Perfect….Would not change a thing….!

Great Bike Guy’s

Steve Carr

6. 6 Cantrell Sep 29th, 2014 at 10:17 am

Not bad. Not bad at all. Those handlebars might wear me out pretty quick but that could be changed. Otherwise looks like a great ride. As I have told my son for the past 28 years, “He who rides alone rides fastest.” That looks to be a fast ride and I like it.

Cantrell

7. 7 domino Sep 29th, 2014 at 10:29 am

Ol skool cool

Domino Dave

8. 8 Don R Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:11 am

I have had many Sportsters over my 62 years and just don’t get the total lack of respect towards them these days. I have 3 HD’s registered on the road and my favorite blast around town bike is a scary fast ’98 1200S. It may not be the most comfortable bike for long rides, but that’s not what Sportsters are about. The bike in article is way tasteful and a great lookingvtwist on a classic old school hot rod look. Very well done guys

9. 9 Spritz DeCoochy Sep 29th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

nice look. W&W is selling those wheels with the H-D hub configuration, & that race inspired velocity stack from Custom Design Studios, sold by CCE is a crowning touch. Check out the movie, its a cult classic. Nice job fellas!

10. 10 Ted Sands Sep 29th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

FYI those wheels were originally produced by Performance Machine form the late 70’s to 1990 who purchased the the molds from American Racing in 1975, the 12 spoke cast wheel which was originally made in Magnisumium was made in aluminum by PM and was one of the first custom wheels available for Harley’s. The wheel was recreated in the late 90’s in billet aluminum by PM but was discontinued again due to lack of sales vs growing sales of new designs. Still a great looking wheel, maybe we should bring it back once again? The bike looks great, good job.

11. 11 rebel Sep 29th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

very nice, wouldn’t change a thing, i’ve had those 18 spokes on a shovel several years and yes lots of machining for brakes and sprocket, haven’t seen them used on another bike till this

12. 12 mack Sep 29th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hardtail,solid mount evo sporty …it dont get no better ……most excellent job!

13. 13 LoneRider Sep 29th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Looks like a great bar hopper/ run around bike. Just a few things I would change but nice execution. Nice work guys!

14. 14 Woody Sep 29th, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Would prefer to see matching wheels and tires but that’s a very minor wish for a really nice build! Love to see more like this instead of the recent rolling abortions only “haters” comment on 😉

15. 15 SIGFREED Sep 29th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

This is lane splittingly cool; perfect – WELL DONE..! Dig the “Cannonball” mag up front.

16. 16 Blackmax Sep 29th, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Damn fine looking bike !!!!
    Kudos to the brothers for putting out a 1st class bike
    But as for hi -performance, put it up against an Indian Scout
    I’d be interested in the results ????

17. 17 Manxman Sep 29th, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Every time I see a DP Customs bike it puts a smile on my face. This one is no exception. BTW, Two Lane Blacktop is still one of my favorite movies. Who knew James Taylor and Dennis Wilson could act?

18. 18 Dave Blevins Sep 29th, 2014 at 5:29 pm

A very nice looking bike. Very nice.

19. 19 Shifter Sep 29th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Thanks for this cool one, Cyril. Congrats to the bros.

20. 20 DP Customs Sep 29th, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Thank you Cyril for the great article and to all of you for your kind words. Cold beers for everyone!

Cheers and best wishes from Justin & Jarrod!

21. 21 stsn Sep 29th, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I likes brakes on my bikes, nota caliper gripping chain lubed sprocket.
    Call me silly…

22. 22 nicker Sep 29th, 2014 at 9:56 pm

oh yes…….
    Those wheels evokes the awesome, evil handling blown fuel altered roadsters of the 60’s.
    The stuff of things that scare ya just looking at-em.

How cool is that…… 🙂

-nicker-

23. 23 Septic the Sceptic Sep 30th, 2014 at 12:29 am

2010 called, tthey want their bike back. Hardly cutting edge.

24. 24 dmj Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:21 am

That is way sharp. The choice of wheels is perfect. The used look of the paint is an outstanding choice for this machine. A sort of refined industrial. The ability to rotate the bars up or down as the mood fits is a great idea.

25. 25 Jack deagazio Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:24 am

Great looking bike, nice build guy’s

26. 26 Cantrell Sep 30th, 2014 at 8:10 am

Quote of:stsn….I likes brakes on my bikes, nota caliper gripping chain lubed sprocket.”

You are absolutely right on that point. Guess my old eyes and small screen caused me to miss that. I really never understood that concept when running a rear chain setup. Thanks for refocusing my eyes.

Cantrell

27. 27 Asphalt_Squadron Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:07 am

I always like the DP bikes, ALWAYS…however, I still don’t understand the logic behind those bars, seat position, and forward controls?

Hunched over with your feet out front?

28. 28 martin twofeather Sep 30th, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Perfect!

29. 29 Iron Horse Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Great looking bike! Excellent job guys.

Ted Sands…BRING BACK THOSE WHEELS! I really want a set for my shovel.

30. 30 Dale Sep 30th, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Love this bike

31. 31 Jim Castro Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:13 am

The DP brothers’ live in my neck of the woods and we are lucky to have builders of their quality and creativity available to us.

By the way, Sportster owners could give a hoot about all the negative “girl’s bike, half a Harley” comments.

Almost nothing sounds as good as a built Sportster motor wrapped in a good handling package with cosmetics stretching from mild to wild.

Way to go guys!!

32. 32 BCinSoCal Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:22 am

Used these magnesium wheels, polished, on a rigid Sporty build in 1973 (18″ and 15″) lot of machine work. Was on the cover of Custom Chopper magazine. About July ’73. Still out there on the web.BC

33. 33 live2rideaglide Oct 7th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I would not change a thing but the title.

HardDrive