OleSmokeymoonshineEach public relation solicitation I receive, I wonder if you can be interested by the news sent to me. And when I got one from “Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine” announcing that the company is now the official moonshine of Harley-Davidson, I decided to publish, just to see your reactions. Why such a partnership? The given justification by the PR agent is “Both brands share common ideals of independence, adventure and a strong history of Americana, making the partnership a natural and exciting evolution.” If you care (?), there is a multi-year partnership punctuated by year-round events and limited edition co-branded Ole Smoky Moonshine offerings. Ole Smoky hard smoked blend, Harley-Davidson Road House Customs Charred Moonshine® debuted 2 weekends ago during the Milwaukee Bike Rally, and is available with a limited edition custom jar and label.

“Harley-Davidson Road House Customs Charred Moonshine” pays homage to the bond amongst riders and their end-of-ride revelries at distant roadside destinations where bikes are parked and friends are gathered” adds Ole Smoky Tennessee public relation agent. “This partnership is about saluting and reminiscing the road just traveled amongst friends” says John C. Farris, Jr. Director Global Brand Alliances and Business Development of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Currently, Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine nationally retails thirteen flavors of moonshine made using authentic East Tennessee recipes, jarred and shipped directly from the company’s famed Gatlinburg distillery. The Ole Smoky Moonshine™ distillery, known as The Holler™, is America’s most visited distillery and produces the brand’s signature flavors.  So, do you really care that there is an “official” Harley-Davidson moonshine?

22 Responses to “Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine Is The Official Moonshine Of Harley-Davidson. Do You Care?”

1. 1 BobS Sep 30th, 2014 at 8:09 am

In a nutshell, no, I don’t care. “This partnership is about saluting and reminiscing the road just travelled amongst friends.” No, this partnership is about making money. I have no problem with companies making money, I love making money too. But I don’t fall for lifestyle branding and marketing that tries to influence my purchasing decisions. I buy beverages based on how they taste, I buy motorcycles based on how they ride.

2. 2 deadwood1783 Sep 30th, 2014 at 8:35 am

Well put BobS! I concur.

3. 3 DK Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Put that moonshine in oak barrels, let it age for 10 years and then drink it. HD would put logos on dog turds if they thought they could sell them.

4. 4 Kroeter Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:40 am

Wow, just the other day I was wondering, “I wonder what is the official moonshine of the MoCo . . .”

It doesn’t matter to me. Every giant entity has their own “official” sponsors. If Ole Smoky makes bank because of it, then it was a good business decision.

5. 5 ColoradoKid Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:47 am

Nope ! Doesn’t matter in the slightest to me either . All this Branding & Merchandising hoo hah going way too overboard [ and only exceeded by the likes of Ferrari ] for my tastes these days .

So again . Nope . Pour me a glass of Stranahan’s neat and call it a day

6. 6 X H-D Rider Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:59 am

So does this mean drinking and riding is OK?
    I don’t understand why

7. 7 Boomer Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:06 am

Just another item with the HD name attached to it. Will it help the distillery sell more product? Probably. Especially to those who are not as clued in as the readers of this blog.

Businesses exist to make a profit otherwise they go under and another one will take its place. This sounds like a sound business move for Ole Smokey. I imagine the HD label raises the price another 25% though compared the other non HD labeled products they sell. HD has to get their cut for the use of their name brand.

I can picture a group of HD riders making their final stop for the day and breaking out their official HD whiskey. By the way; all booze basically starts out as moonshine. What happens to it after that is makes them different and of course the recipe of the wash before distillation. In this case, after distillation, it goes into oak barrels that have been charred on the inside. How long they age will determine the smoothness and price of the end product.

It’s crazy easy to do this at home although considered illegal (by the feds) unless you are making it to be used as fuel, cough, for your gas tank. It is legal in some states though so check first. Fed law still trumps state law.

8. 8 Dave Sep 30th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

WGAS ?

9. 9 MC Sep 30th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Another misguided wanna be livin’ the lifestyle thing.The part of it all that I find most pathetic is the raising the bar even higher on fake HD camaraderie by getting drunk with yer ridin’ bros…

The demographics ain’t complicated…This is why HD markets to the buy a new bike every year clueless washed up baby boomers by naming the factory paint colors names like “Amber Whiskey” and “Tequilla Sunrise”

Only good use for this “official moonshine” is to douse your “I Rode The Dragon” T-shirt with it and set it on fire.

10. 10 Woody Sep 30th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Nope, means nothing to me, good or bad.

11. 11 Septic the Sceptic Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Still waitng for my brand new motorcycle to be fixed. More steak, less dressing please HD.

12. 12 Dave Blevins Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Being from Kentucky, (the state where over 95% of all bourbon is made, and home of “The Bourbon Trail”), we know a thing or two about liquor… moonshine is never stored in a charred barrel. Ever.
    Moonshine is bottled immediately after being distilled and cut to desired proof, and is clear as water. If you are going to bottle a drink, officially label it as your brand, you should spend at least spend 30 seconds researching why “whiskey” is called whiskey, “bourbon” is called bourbon, and “moonshine” is called moonshine. It’s just as different as points are to electronic ignition, carburation is to fuel injection, or turbo is to a supercharger.

13. 13 Rodent Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

You’d think that the MoCo would have more class than to make moonshine an official partner. At least Indian had brains enough to partner up with a class act like Jack Daniels.

14. 14 Woody Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Well said, Mr. Blevins. I raise a single barrel Wathen’s in your honor.

15. 15 Zenaldo Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I vote they team up with Jim Beam…..or I’ll just do it myself…

16. 16 Seymour Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I like the new Indians OK, but Victory is going to take over the American made motorcycles market. Cult following. PS no not now, but soon.

17. 17 David King Oct 1st, 2014 at 7:12 am

Dave Blevins is dead on. Raising a glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked to you.

I remember the ill fated H-D cigarettes. When they launched I immediately bought one of each pack and tracked down some signage for my collection knowing the product wouldn’t last.

I’ll probably buy one jar, keep it unopened and in my “H-D bad ideas that become collectibles” box.

18. 18 BCinSoCal Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:11 am

Been mixing it one jar to four gallons of premium gas, still runs rough in my carbureted bike, guys riding behind me seem to like it though……. Easy to find, I buy it at the same Quickie Mart where the girlfriend buys her HD tampons and I pick up the HD floor wax/salad dressing.

19. 19 Johnny Gypo Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:32 am

Wow…………such response. Seems to me like there’s an underlying message here– Like maybe the the legendary MoCo has pimped itself too much and too long……and they just keep doin’ it! (Say it ain’t so Joe!) Could there possibly be a group in here who, like me, are walking down the street, hands in pockets pondering all this looking for rocks to kick? Best be careful, I might just walk by the Indian store.

Concerning the hooch, me and my old wore out buddies drank our share years ago, and didn’t really take the time to read the label!

20. 20 Marshall Young Oct 1st, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Amen, Mr. Blevins! My contempt for the MoCo reached the breaking point when they strutted out the water cooled BS. I couldn’t care less about the moonshine, I only drink bourbon.

21. 21 nicker Oct 1st, 2014 at 8:27 pm

RE:
    “… No, this partnership is about making money …”

Its about “Trying” to make money.
    No skin off my nose, don’t drink much these days.

The cards aren’t in on HD actually “making” any more money by this play.
    (they certainly won’t make it out-a my pocket)

-nicker-

22. 22 dmj Oct 2nd, 2014 at 8:09 am

waiting on HD branded lawn equipment