A 2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse? An Indian Springfield Trademark?

darkhorseindianchiefThe California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board (California ARB) is a good source of information for those looking to find out in advance the new models that motorcycle manufacturers will release a few months down the road. It looks like the “Chief Dark Horse” may join the Classic, Vintage, Chieftain and Roadmaster Chiefs for the 2016 year Chief line up (see CARB executive order after the jump)

The “Chief Dark Horse” is a name used by former Indian owner Stellican, but of course the new model can’t be compared. The CARB files hint that the 2016 Chief Dark Horse would use the current Thunder Stroke 111” air-cooled V-Twin in a lighter, more stripped-down machine with a “dark attitude.” Independently of this news, rumor is that Indian Motorcycle would have filed a trademark application for the “Indian Springfield” name. (picture above is from 2013 Stellican Indian Model)

carb

18 Responses to “A 2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse? An Indian Springfield Trademark?”

1. 1 Matt W. Jan 24th, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Not really a surprise if this is true. Would be a nice addition to have a blacked out Chief with a slightly lower price tag.

2. 2 James just another Kiwi Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Something more edgy in the Chief line up will attract a different rider and expand their sales
    Why Not, especially if they do a good job. It could be a Chout.

3. 3 Art Welch Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:19 pm

If they bring this back… it will attract the younger crowd again

4. 4 flhrci Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I can’t find it on the CARB site. Can anyone tell me just where to look ? Thanks

5. 5 smm Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Here is the link to the Exec Order on the CARB site

6. 6 TerribleTabo Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Matte Black looks great on Indians!

7. 7 TerribleTabo Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I would love to see the Thunder Stroke 111 motor in a in a lighter, more stripped-down machine!

8. 8 nicker Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:40 pm

RE:
    “… I can’t find it on the CARB site…”

Try searching for “those pimple-brained bureaucratic a….holes”

-nicker-

9. 9 Pinhead Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:44 am

I really hope thay are going to do something different with the hideous fenders and not just pull some BNG crap.

10. 10 Zenaldo Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:19 am

Yawn…..sorry man..

11. 11 Jack ahearn Jan 25th, 2015 at 7:31 am

I’m more interested in the filing of the name “Indian Springfield”.Could it be an inline four on the way?Or maybe old school with a springer front end or girder.Either way,those going to Surgis will get to see it first.

12. 12 BobS Jan 25th, 2015 at 10:28 am

Chief Classic is what, 19k? Strip off the chrome and you have a 17k Chief…that should sell well. Not sure it would draw in younger buyers unless you call 45 yr olds young. Lol. Trademarking the name “Indian Springfield” is more interesting to me too. I’m of the opinion that if Indian comes out with an I-4 it would be called the “Indian 4” to go with all that heritage history thing that people get so worked up over. Maybe Springfield is something radically different, or maybe they’re just taking the trademark off the market so to speak.

13. 13 flhrci Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thanks, smm for the link..

14. 14 Andy@American-v Jan 26th, 2015 at 9:17 am

Sounds like the perfect name for Indian’s interpretation of the Victory 8-Ball sub family, and would work as well on the Scout. Would certainly work well for me cos I’m not a big fan of chrome, and it might help the visual reference on the rocker boxes work better.

Makes sense protecting Springfield as a mark, but surely Indian Ace would be the moniker of choice for a new 4.

15. 15 Sheridan Jan 26th, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I couldn’t imagine Polaris building an inline 4 for the Indians in future. Could you imagine the size of the radiator you’d need to keep something like that cool enough to pass EPA regs!?

16. 16 tat2willie@aol.com Jan 26th, 2015 at 11:47 pm

IF YOU RIDE ONE OF THESE NEW INDIANS you most likely will buy one. the best riding new bike I have road in years…

17. 17 BobS Jan 28th, 2015 at 10:22 am

Sheridan, yes I can imagine that radiator and it can be quite small. Harley with the help of Porsche once designed a four cylinder that you couldn’t even see the radiator because it was hidden behind and underneath the seat. Japanese manufacturers make very fast 1000-1400cc water cooled 4 cylinders with very small radiators so I suspect Indian could too.

18. 18 JeffV Feb 3rd, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Maybe on Sprinfield some type of springer front end. Old school.

HardDrive