1-DSC_6629re2-DSC_6677re3-DSC_6677re4-DSC_6657reI say it right away. On the top of my list of the most beautiful custom motorcycles I have seen so far in 2015. This custom Indian Scout was built by Jeb Scolman, the same hot-rod artisan builder responsible for the Spirit of Munro that was built to celebrate the launch of the ThunderStroke111 in 2014. Indian Motorcycle gave to Jeb a new 2015 Indian Scout engine with the simple instruction to build what he wanted to out of it.

Admire Jeb’s absolutely flawless 100% hand-made metalwork inspired by the designs of pure speed motorcycles from the late 50’s and early 60’s with the most minimal frame possible and a fork mounted bullet fairing for a silhouette that took to land speed and drag racing tracks across the country.

The post-war hot rod crowd was using airplane drop tanks for race cars, and the motorcycle racers started to adapt nose cones to help them cut through the wind. As the bike took shape the crew started calling it the “Black Bullet”. The minimal body and stout but seemingly simple frame are wrapped around a 1200cc Indian Scout engine as tightly as possible. This is one small motorcycle.

6_DSC8606The all-custom, all-metal, and all one-off bike features a custom windscreen that wraps around the front of the bike to fair in the headlight. Tight clip-ons and footrests mounted to the rear axle makes for as streamlined a riders position as possible. The minimal seat, controls and shapes all lens themselves to the single mission for exploring this bikes top speed. It was created to be beautiful and fast. Scolman even cast a custom intake manifold to turn the throttle body sideways and allow for an even tighter engine packaging.

5_DSC8424The Black Bullet Scout will be on display in Sturgis at the company display on Lazelle St between July 31st and August 8th, and is destined to see the salt. It was built to race and continue the tradition of an Indian Scout ripping across the Bonneville Salt Flats. (photography Indian Motorcycle/Barry Hathaway/ Todd Williams (2 bottom pictures)

64 Responses to “The Latest From Indian Motorcycle. The Black Bullet Scout. Soon To Race At The Bonneville Salts.”

1. 1 Robert Pandya Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Cyril – thanks you for posting this story.

This is a project that we are all very proud of. It goes to the core of the Scout, and the audacity of speed. Black Bullet will be in Sturgis, and I hope that many of your readers and you get to see the quality of craftsmanship first hand. Jeb’s work is stunning and I know that this bike was built for show AND go!

Jeb’s custom shop is called Jeb’s Mental and Speed out of Long Beach CA. He does private commissions only, and is well known in the land speed and California Hot Rod scene. Jeb’s Spirit of Munro is a personal highlight in our working together as well.

All the best to you and safe travels ahead –

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

2. 2 Blackmax Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Damn fine job he did too !!!
    Some will like it, some will hate it
    Mark me as one of those who like it ..
    Not so much for the cafe riding position
    but for rolling for speed, on the salt, it’ll work ….

3. 3 Drake Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

4. 4 John Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:55 pm

What makes all you people that make videos of any kind but especially motorsport videos think that the viewers want to hear loud, irritating, stupid music? If we’re into bikes, cars, whatever I want to hear the motor or the narrator talking. Really stupid

5. 5 P. Hamilton Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Putting to shame…Harley-Davidson

6. 6 Reyn Mansson Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Ir’s a beautiful bit of art, looks like amazing attention details.
    I believe it’s Jeb’s METAL and Speed, although it does look insane to ride!
    I find that motor aesthetically pleasing but would like to see a bit more functionally

7. 7 Chris Ruggieri Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Wow, a very fine machine. Makes me want to buy a Scout to customize it.

8. 8 Rodent Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

What would Bert Munro say?

9. 9 Donnie Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Rodent. Of course Burt would want to race it.

10. 10 Motorcycle Marc Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Another impressive product from Indian. The Scout is a great machine. No match in its class from all I can tell.

11. 11 domino Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Cool bike … Is the motor stock?

” and is destined to see the salt. It was built to race and continue the tradition of an Indian Scout ripping across the Bonneville Salt Flats ”

Is it really going to run? What class? Spec sheet?

domino dave

12. 12 Badams Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Nice Halo effort.

13. 13 Batterycap Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:50 pm

I may be repeating myself, but I do reserve this phrase for special occasions – If that don’t turn you on, you ain’t got no switch.

Drop dead gorgeous.

14. 14 Zenaldo Jul 13th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Hope it runs as good as it looks.. The salt will be unrelenting in its test of this machine..looks like theyve run it up to some speed already wherever they shot the ad..

15. 15 Robert Pandya Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Ha! It is Metal and Speed…my Freudian slip is showing…

Rp –

16. 16 Matt W. Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Speed and elegance all in one package. Looking forward to seeing what she can do!

17. 17 Sheridan Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Why couldn’t you have made the radiator as unobtrusive on the road going Scout as Jeb did on this machine!? This is a stunning bike, looks absolutely amazing and I think will inspire people to look at the Scout a little more closely. Well done!

18. 18 Shifter Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Can somebody do a better job?

19. 19 JohnyLetGo Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Cyril. It’s your style! Mine, too.

20. 20 Indian53 Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:27 pm

New Scout perfection.

21. 21 Rodent Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I think we are seeing prototype or close to it, pictures of a upcomming Indian Scout. If Polaris puts anything looking like this in street outfitting on sale at or close to current Scout MSRP, they will capture most of the motorcycle market knocking all others for a loop. But, what do I know?

22. 22 George Bressant Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:30 pm

It will be the inspiration of many custom builders.

23. 23 Dave Blevins Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:39 pm

A beautiful machine. I am glad to see bikes like this being made and being run out.
    I would enjoy very much getting to run this thing as hard as it go!
    Congratulations Mr. Pandya… you guys are certainly pointed in the right direction.

24. 24 John Jul 13th, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Very nice, good luck on the salt.

25. 25 coffeebeans Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Very, very nice. Can’t wait to see what it tops out at on the Flats.

26. 26 Boris Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Stunning machine. Looks mean. Let’s see a streetable production model of this Scout from Indian!

27. 27 nicker Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:44 pm

And affectionately know to its followers as “the flying penis”…… 🙂

But nicely done in any event.

-nicker-

28. 28 highrpm Jul 13th, 2015 at 10:10 pm

love the chrome speed lines and how they tie everything together. love the black and chrome. beautifully proportioned bike.

29. 29 James just another Crazy Kiwi Jul 14th, 2015 at 1:57 am

Burt would say,
    How can I modify this Motor Sickle to go faster…………………….
    Who knows ?? but that is what I think lol

30. 30 Coma Jul 14th, 2015 at 3:13 am

Incredible.

31. 31 Pop Jul 14th, 2015 at 5:16 am

The bike is a jawdropper for sure. That it’s foundation is to go is a fine alibi for some of the exaggerations. Color Pop smitten.

More important to me is a design and an execution that nails the sweet spot between cad cam techno trash and tin roof garage gas axe construction.

High concept building can still be a decidedly human activity instead of simply churning out modeled “solutions” on a keyboard. Here’s proof. Hallelujiah!

32. 32 Homer Jul 14th, 2015 at 6:59 am

FANTASTIC ! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

33. 33 calif phil Jul 14th, 2015 at 7:30 am

It would look so much better with a 30″ front wheel, ape hangers and a jet ski paint job. NOT!
    Seriously this has to be one of the best motorcycle designs to ever grace my computer screen.

34. 34 chicagojohn Jul 14th, 2015 at 8:12 am

Very nice!

35. 35 BobS Jul 14th, 2015 at 8:28 am

Comments in this thread might be a clue as to what the next big thing in custom motorcycles will be. Fat tire choppers, big wheel naggers…looks like lighter weight hot rods are the next trend. That wouldn’t disappoint me.

36. 36 Steve Berg Jul 14th, 2015 at 8:33 am

Not bad, in an understated sense! Engine sounds good too.

37. 37 Jeff Nicklus Jul 14th, 2015 at 8:55 am

Beautiful motorcycle !

Over & Out,

Jeff

38. 38 TJ Martin Jul 14th, 2015 at 9:07 am

Well this looks really good ! But with that wide rear tire as well as questionable aerodynamics all bets are it won’t work nearly as good as it looks . Fact is I’ll bet it’ll be about as victorious as Victory has been of late . But it sure does look good . Then again … with all thats going on at the Salt this year what with the weather , environmental concerns etc all bets are there probably won’t be any racing on the Salt this year … so its all probably pretty much of a moot point .

39. 39 TJ Martin Jul 14th, 2015 at 9:07 am

BobS – Here’s hoping !!!!

40. 40 MagnetMan Jul 14th, 2015 at 9:27 am

Indian, I would like to donate 2 of my Indian Super Magnetic oil plugs for this machine and this effort.
    M12X1.5X12R’s.
    Cheers,

Contact Richard at 704.320.0700

41. 41 Jack deagazio Jul 14th, 2015 at 9:37 am

What a beautiful bike,good luck to Indian

42. 42 NoH2oh Jul 14th, 2015 at 10:47 am

Polaris. Pikes Peak, IOMTT, and now Bonneville. There is a market for honest, minimal American performance bikes. Buell proved that with 130K or so bikes sold, imagine what Polaris could do with current tech and real marketing behind it.

43. 43 nicker Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Taking another look…..

Wouldn’t there be more stability to be had by mounting the rear-sets at the bottom of the transmission mount instead of up high in the back like that….???

No need for cornering clearance and tucked in close would minimize wind resistance.

Just wondering.

-nicker-

44. 44 Cris Sommer Simmons Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Beautiful Robert! Love it…. Burt would be trying to get a ride on it.

45. 45 Woody's Jul 14th, 2015 at 3:38 pm

That Scout engine has such great numbers, strength, and potential, damn shame they chose to make it so ugly. The only Scout part of that gorgeous bike that’s recognizable as such, is the only part that doesn’t look as fine as the rest of that sweet, sweet ride.

46. 46 Wikked Steel Jul 14th, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Beautiful and classic. Nicely done.

47. 47 fuji Jul 14th, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Robert Pandya. I got the good word on the AMA flat track bike today in Cycle News. Great to hear the news. Polaris is rocking and my Wifes PII stock is growing

48. 48 pj98rider Jul 14th, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Simply beautiful!

49. 49 rags Jul 14th, 2015 at 6:04 pm

awesome.hope it runs great.

50. 50 Robert Pandya Jul 14th, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for the positive comments folks. And for those who don’t care for it – that’s cool. I hope you find something you like and write twice as much about it!

Cyril was one of the first to post on this bike and since then the bike has been a hit around the world. I’m getting media inquiries from Australia, and several magazines from Europe. Testament to the impact of this work and the passion riders have for this great brand.

Jeb’s goal in this bike was not necessarily to build a bike to break a record, but to see how fast it could go. The fundamental driver for anybody going to a Land Speed race. I hope that conditions on the flats come around – but I know hearing the Black Bullet rips across the same salt a Burt’s 1920 Scout will bring goosebumps to every motorcycle fan.

Have a smooth week –

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

51. 51 NoH2oh Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:15 am

One of the best, if not the best, looking H2O cooled engines in motorcycling. No fake fins. A lack of big hoses ruining the V. Almost a modern day JAP. Please make a bike that forces me to work more overtime.

52. 52 A 1 CYCLES Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:42 pm

FLOWS WELL…WILL MAKE IT A POINT TO MEET THE BUILDER..TOP NOTCH

53. 53 Johnny Law Motors Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Super sleek, futuristic yet has that vintage feel still.

54. 54 Woody's Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Mr. Pandya, repeated posts from me to you (including one prior today get blocked), so feel free to email me if you wish to have a discourse contrary to gushing 100% over Indian.

55. 55 Admin. Jul 15th, 2015 at 2:03 pm

To Woody’s

Please don’t post that we block your comments because we don’t. Or you will be banned.
    Thank you.

Sandra Puch, Admin.

56. 56 Mark Apland Jul 15th, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Sweetest LSR bike I’ve seen since Goldmember by Goldammer.
    Well Done!

57. 57 Woody's Jul 15th, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Admin, is it common for posts to not come up yet when you try and repost them you are told that you already posted them? Why would the ONLY posts that this happened to regard Mr. Pandya/Indian. I finally quit posting a while back when I wasn’t even able to answer one of his questions directed at me by name, yet posted to two other stories. I appreciate your reply, but am troubled by the math.

58. 58 Admin. Jul 15th, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Everybody can ask questions. Questions and answers are published in the limit of our terms of service .
    Maybe the issue is the way your browser is set up..

59. 59 Woody's Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:20 am

Mr. P I often find something I like and do write about it, but I suppose it’s human nature to expect good/awesome to be the norm here and not always mention it as readily as I may about things I find lame. Please try not to take it personally-you come here as a paid spokesperson for a product line and I (and most folks here) read and comment as folks with no ax to grind or goods to promote. Like a Presidential Spokesperson, you wouldn’t earn your keep if you didn’t make selective comments to promote your brand, but I’m afraid not all will see it the same as an Indian employee. You mention, “the bike has been a hit around the world. I’m getting media inquiries from Australia, and several magazines from Europe. Testament to the impact of this work and the passion riders have for this great brand” I agree with the first part, but does anyone believe such a beautiful bike wouldn’t get the same clamor with virtually any brand’s V-Twin in it? That thing is so fine it’d draw the same attention with an old Virago mill in it 😉

60. 60 Greeko Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:15 am

Woody’s. What is exactly the purpose of your comment? Looks to me like writing to say nothing.

61. 61 Chris Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:22 pm

@TJ Martin,

Getting traction on the Salt can be a huge challenge. A wide tire and a bunch of lead are pretty standard equipment.

62. 62 Robert Pandya Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:38 pm

@ Woody’s –

Indian paid to build it, and it’s awesome. We are proud of it. Lots of people like it. The heritage of the brand is important and we have to continue to make our own history. In other words, if it had another engine it in and it was the same build – in 50 years would it be in history books the way that this bike will be?

Perhaps I don’t get the question, but I do thank you for your interest. And I can see where you have complimented Jeb on his work too!

Everybody have a good weekend and we will see you in Sturgis!

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

63. 63 Woody's Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Not sure I I understand your question either, as I’m sure if it had a V-Max mill in it (or many others) it would be just as amazing and be in any record book the current one may go in. Anyway, glad this machine was built and hope it does amazingly well on salt this year, nature willing.

64. 64 BENT VALVE Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:29 am