Indian Motorcycle’s newly crafted Roadmaster Classic is designed to bring back the splendor of touring across the open road. The new Roadmaster Classic has eye-catching vintage style, but is blended with cutting-edge technology and comfort. The Roadmaster Classic is rich in leather and luxury featuresIt features: the industry-leading Ride Command infotainment system, along with heated seats and handlebars, ABS, cruise control, TPMS, a power adjustable windshield, adjustable passenger floorboards and keyless ignition. The easily removable leather trunk gives riders the option of a more streamlined look — perfect for shorter trips. It will be on sale in three color schemes; Thunder Black and two-tone paint options of Willow Green over Ivory Cream and Indian Motorcycle Red over Ivory Cream.
Up front, the bike is adorned with an illuminated Indian Motorcycle headdress atop a valanced fender. There’s a Pathfinder LED headlight and a Horizon touring windscreen that can quickly rise or lower up to four inches with the push of a button. The fuel tank now has a brand new chrome teardrop tank badge and there’s a chrome centre console too.
The cockpit has a fairing with a color-matched inner dash, a 100-watt premium audio system with chrome speaker grill bezels and a glare-reducing textured black upper dash panel. The bike also has all-chrome hand controls, complete with heated grips and the wiring is routed inside the handlebars. There are front and rear highway bars, spacious adjustable floorboards and chrome lower controls that provide plenty of room to ensure all-day comfort on even the longest of rides. Touring luxury is further enhanced with a plush full-grain genuine Desert Tan leather two-up seat that delivers long-riding comfort and is equipped with individual, dual-mode seat heat controls for the rider and passenger. The saddle is designed for plenty of space for both people and is exceptionally comfortable for the passenger who gets a large backrest and adjustable floorboards.

On the back, there’s 33 gallons (125 litres) of convenient cargo space in the full-grain Desert Tan leather saddlebags and a matching leather trunk that’s easily removable. This trunk is also large enough to hold two full-faced helmets and doubles up as a passenger backrest. The trunk can be kept on for a full touring experience or quickly detached.

POWER TO SPARE
The Roadmaster Classic comes with plenty of power. Its Thunder Stroke 111 engine produces 119 ft-lbs of torque with extraordinary output at low RPM so you can accelerate effortlessly in every gear. The engine itself is sculpted with multi-directional finned valve covers featuring asymmetric styling, large parallel pushrod tubes, a sculpted cam cover and a dual crossover exhaust.

SUPERIOR SUSPENSION
Noted for its smooth ride, Indian Motorcycle’s telescopic fork front and single shock rear suspension soak up the bumps with nearly five inches of travel while offering superior feedback. The easy-to-access rear shock is air-adjustable with an included pump and the air pressure can be easily fine-tuned to deliver the ride you want whether riding solo or two-up. Cast 16in x 3.5in front and 16in x 5in rear wheels with tyre pressure monitoring are shod in Dunlop Elite 3 tires to further compliment the smooth ride.

BALANCED BRAKING
Confident control demands balanced braking and that’s exactly what you’ll find on the Roadmaster Classic. It utilises dual 300mm semi-floating rotors with four-piston calipers up front and a single 300mm semi-floating rotor with two-piston caliper in the rear. Activated via multi-position-adjustable front and well-tuned rear brake levers acting through stainless steel reinforced lines, both front and rear brakes feature a high-resolution anti-lock brake system (ABS).

ADVANCED RIDER ASSISTANCE
Advanced Rider Assistance Systems standard on the Roadmaster Classic include keyless ignition with a proximity fob used to start the bike, ABS braking to help retain control in any situation, a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS), automotive-quality throttle by wire cruise control for relaxed highway journeys, heated grips and seats, and Indian Motorcycle’s much-lauded Ride Command infotainment system that can be customized to show loads of ride and vehicle data.

RIDE COMMAND
Pinch. Swipe. Tap. All without removing your gloves. Offering the industry’s largest, fastest, and most customisable infotainment system, the seven-inch Ride Command system allows you to get turn-by-turn directions, quickly navigate to points of interest, play Bluetooth audio, check vehicle information and status, plus a whole lot more via its easy to use interface. And thanks to split-screen technology, you can easily customize three rider screens to display the information that matters to you most.

A WEALTH OF ACCESSORIES
Accessorise the Roadmaster Classic to your specific tastes with a wealth of additional leather and chrome accessories including Passenger Armrests and a Trunk Mat specifically designed for the new model. Enhance the riding experience with a Touring or Flare Windshield, Lower Fairings, Genuine Leather Extended Reach Seat and Infinite Highway Pegs. Upgrade with an Integrated Garage Door Opener or Premium Touring Console. Genuine Leather Accessories include: Grip, Lever, Highway Bar and Floorboard Wraps, Tank Pouch, Rear Highway Bar Bag, Mud Flaps and Saddlebag Fringe.

SPECIFICATION

INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
7” touch screen (glove compatible with pinch to zoom & swipe functionality)
Customisable information displays
Simple, easy to use software

ENGINE – Thunder Stroke 111

Engine type 49º V-Twin
Compression ratio 9.5 : 1
Bore & stroke 3.976″ x 4.449″ (101mm x 113mm)
Displacement 111 cu in (1811cc)
Cooling system Air and oil
Primary drive Gear drive wet clutch
Final drive Belt drive, 152 tooth
Clutch Wet, multi-plate
Oil capacity 5.5 qts (5.2 litres) with an oil cooler
Torque 119.2 ft-lbs at 3000rpm & 138.9 Nm at 2600rpm
Exhaust Split dual exhaust with crossover
Battery 12 V 18 Amp/hour, 310 CCA
Charging system 42 amp max output
SUSPENSION

Front Telescopic fork, 46mm diameter, 4.7 in (119mm) of travel
Rear Single shock 4.5 in (114 mm) travel, air adjustable
CHASSIS

Dry weight 392kg (864lbs)
GVWR 630kg (1,385lbs)
Length 2656mm (104.6in)
Wheelbase 1668mm (65.7in)
Rake & Trail 25º & 150mm (5.9in)
Seat height 673mm (26.5in)
Ground clearance 140mm (5.5in)
BRAKES

Brake System Type. Individual front and rear control with ABS
Front Dual 300 mm floating rotors with 4-piston calipers
Rear Single 300 mm floating rotor with 2-piston caliper

60 Responses to “The New 2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic. Vintage Styling With Modern Touring Amenities.”

1. 1 Chuck Swolejack Feb 21st, 2017 at 10:54 am

That’s it???? Yawn, Yawn and Yawn some more.

2. 2 vrodder Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:05 am

Polaris shut the doors on Victory for this crap??? Honestly??? Polaris can smoke a turd in Hell…

3. 3 ChadBroChill Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:07 am

Running out of new ideas for their Indian line?

4. 4 Greeko Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:11 am

Indian is attacking Harley, model after model, instead of creating their own brand personality. Big mistake to forget about what they tried to create with the Scout: using Springfield Indian image to offer nimble fast cruisers.

5. 5 mkv Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:13 am

ohhhh

Just like the road king classic but with a topcase. Remember that?

6. 6 Matt Sherman Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:13 am

My opinion. Indian marketing strategy is very weak…Just a Harley touring brother with an Indian badge.

7. 7 Mdkuder Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:14 am

I like the bike but was hoping for something different not a mixture of parts from all the chiefs. Who’s the jagoff that keeps picking the pleather color for these bikes?

8. 8 Henry Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:18 am

Over targeting boomers and their broads will have only one result, destroying Indian’s image.

9. 9 Fluffsta Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:21 am

Now that really is butt ugly but I guess sales will tell the full story.
    Interesting that no one I know would buy one and the general web chatter is say it’s ugly!

10. 10 beentheredonethat Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:24 am

Ya know i want to like it but just can’t
    its just too frumpy and over designed just not a cool looking machine
    Its all in the eye and this bike just doesn’t do anything for me

11. 11 Dan Ruiz Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:25 am

Wake me up when Indian will unveil something really new.

12. 12 BD Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:33 am

FUGLY!!!! Bring victory back and shut down indian!

13. 13 Boots Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:34 am

Great looking motorcycle. I like the vintage style. It is starting to look like a mini Winnebago tho !
    Large 7′ Infotainment center, huge luggage bags, garage door opener, 100 watt stereo system, heated grips, power adjusted windshield, ABS etc!
    It doesn’t take all these amenities to enjoy a day on the open highway!

14. 14 Nitschke Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:52 am

If I were a pimp or a playa, I’d buy this bike.

15. 15 SIGFREED Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Still a lot of (heavy) motorcycle for the buck – however, from 2017 on, no longer can Polaris escape the grim resonance of the perpetually disparaging quips, asking when Polaris will pull a corporate “victory” and abruptly dump the Indian…

16. 16 Mdkuder Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:55 pm

They definitely need to talk to the consumers on these before they go forward. Real consumers not fair weather bikers.

17. 17 Stony Crane Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I don’t hate it, but it is a little Village People for my taste.

18. 18 Matt W. Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I’m not usually into studs and tassels but every time I see a seafoam Indian Chief Vintage with the canyon orange leather I can’t help but want one! And this new one is no different. It’s unapologetically nostalgic yet undeniably unique.

19. 19 Shanedrive Feb 21st, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I dunno, to each their own. I’m not touring bike kinda guy myself but I realize many folks like creature comforts. For myself, the last thing I want on a bike is a radio or anything else that would clutter the mind while riding. I like my thoughts to wander and the wind in my face w/out a windshield or fairing. 🙂 However, I WOULD use electronic cruise control.

20. 20 AKZ Billy Feb 21st, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Wow, a Chieftain with leather bags. They must have really put in some overtime to come up with that. Is this the “next big thing from Indian Motorcycle” or is something really new coming on the 25th?

21. 21 JohnnySpeed Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Polaris needs to fire their designers. Year after year of flat out odd looking bikes. They can’t even get classic styling right.

22. 22 burnout Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Faaaaaaancy!! peace

23. 23 Francesco Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Tres tres belle moto!!
    Mais moi je suis un peu trop petit pour ce genre de moto!
    mon street bob me va bien, juste pour ma hauteur.

Francesco

24. 24 Stephen Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I loved the Chief Vintage in willow green and cream when I first saw the bike and I have wanted one ever since. I like the road master but it looked a bit too new, now that we have a Road Master with the best bits from the Chief Vintage I can’t wait to see it and take a test ride. I really dig the way that the Indian Chief Vintage and now Road Master Classic (especially in the green and cream) feel like you’re riding out of the 30s only on 2017 hardware. This Road Master is tempting me to sell my Goldwing.

25. 25 George Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Stickers,Decals and Paint jobs do not make a new model!

26. 26 Chris Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Polaris dropped Victory for this crap!

27. 27 Janos Kafka Feb 21st, 2017 at 6:01 pm

…..zzzZZZZZZ

And yeah Chris / vrodder . They did . To their inevitable demise .

28. 28 Mr Steve E Roberts Feb 21st, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Pretty package, just wish that Indian made a Trike.

29. 29 Tom Ryan Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:05 pm

This bike must be as comfortable as a Lazy Boy chair.

30. 30 richards Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:23 pm

When I first saw the new Indian in Pics, I thought “Pretty nice”. They are adhering to the classic Indian look. When I saw it In person, not so much. I described it as too BULBOUS. There are a number of issues but no need to get too specific. I’ve now expanded my impression to…too bulbous, too busy, too comic book like…. too everything!

31. 31 Fritz Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:37 pm

It’s missing the fringed canopy and the record player.

32. 32 Chris Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Another top end bike? I want to support indian but throw me a bone. If your gonna compete with harley, your gonna have to get bikes between the scout and classic.

33. 33 ozzie21 Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Yuuukkk…bring back the Victory.

34. 34 bigalyts Feb 22nd, 2017 at 12:12 am

Love the idea. Shelf the Dog {Indian} and bring back the horses! (Victory)

35. 35 Highrider Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:30 am

How do you say RoadGlide in Indian? Not comparing the 2, that would be insulting to Harley.

I will echo, IS that it?

36. 36 AL HOLMES Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:53 am

I can only talk from my point of view,…its got most of what i’m ready for,..not sure about riding behind the screen,but i’d get used to it !! 🙂

37. 37 BobS Feb 22nd, 2017 at 7:19 am

I told you guys Indian would be dead in five years. This is just one step closer.

38. 38 coma Feb 22nd, 2017 at 8:18 am

At last a true Road King. Well done, Indian.

39. 39 Bluebikerjess Feb 22nd, 2017 at 9:04 am

I’ve always thought Indian had something special, but just like any good recipe its missing a key ingredient. This new scooter from Indian is no different. Cheap looking tan leather, three color schemes that are lacking imagination, and a hefty price tag at $26,999 for the base model. Don’t get me wrong … the MoCo is pulling some dingers too. Both companies need to take the time to reach out to the real riders and get some good feedback on styling and price. I will say this … if Indian wanted to break the mold and stand apart from the MoCo then bring out a scooter with a Springer Front-End. The recipe is bland gents … it’s time to spice things up!

40. 40 John Rinkley Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:42 am

If Indian doesn’t release something very special (very Indian) they are going to go Kaput like Victory.

41. 41 seymour Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:48 am

They’d better roll out that inline 4 and fast

42. 42 franco Feb 22nd, 2017 at 11:23 am

At first sight I thought it was a Yamaha Royal Star Venture…yuk!

43. 43 tundra Feb 22nd, 2017 at 12:25 pm

richards, bulbous is the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the pictures. Cat In The Hat bike. Too much stuff gooped on. It’s too bad because I’ve always thought the engine was a work of art. The rest……

The new stereo/screen is more reactionary then innovative. I think they were painted into a corner depth-wise with the depth of the fairing, so it seems like they kind of shoehorned and frenched it in there. Turned a decent looking inner fairing into a mess imo.

44. 44 spaz Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Honestly, one ride on a Roadmaster, leather or painted luggage be damned, and it is an amazing motorcycle to ride. It’s incredibly easy to handle. Nimble (yes, it’s very nimble and agile), smooth, and great power. Absolutely blows away the tired, old Ultra. Hands down. Having said that, leather bags do not a new motorcycle make. Both companies overstate the smallest detail change which disappoints us all. What’s that “new” Road King? -oh yeah, less chrome, mini apes, no windshield, and they call it a new model. Both companies do this and we all hate it. I just wish they’d be a little more real with the public and introduce these things a what they really are- a new “trim level” or a new “equipment package” something that’s more realistic and doesn’t overstate what it is, thus not over setting our expectations. Would that be so hard?

45. 45 keith Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:13 pm

The fairing is an abomination. An insult to Indian. But they are not Indians anyway, they never were They are a bad copy designed by Victory designers with an Indian badge slapped on. Horrible.

46. 46 Ray Feb 22nd, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Holy smokes! This reminds me of another Roadmaster!

47. 47 Linc Feb 22nd, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I am not ready to trade my 13 vision or my 16 goldwing for this. I would rather have seen a rebadged
    cross country for the big “new” bike announcement. If I were to purchase a new bike to replace my vision tomorrow, it would be the Road Glide Ultra with the new milwaukee 8 engine. I have never been a Harley Guy, but if this is the best Polaris can do, I will buy a fixed fairing, hard bag, cooler running Harley for less money than the Polaris. In my opinion, Harley is winning the Harley – Indian war at this point in time! Very disappointing Polaris!

48. 48 morpion Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:40 pm

UGLY,UGLY,UGLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

49. 49 richards Feb 22nd, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Tundra, Agreed!

50. 50 RUB Feb 23rd, 2017 at 5:29 am

how bout something like , swing away passenger arm rests ? Get on , pull them into locking position , & go ! Intergrade them into the tour pack ……………………..??? Options are good .

51. 51 BM Jarvis Feb 23rd, 2017 at 6:28 am

If I were Polaris I’d pay attention to just about every one of these comments. When is the last time even HALF of us agreed on ANYTHING?

Dear Polaris/Indian,

Stop building expensive, bloated, cartoon motorcycles; right now. The people who can go out and plunk down car money on a motorcycle, better yet, people who remember that styling, are soon going to be on three wheels at best. Many have already bought their last motorcycle.

10 to 11K or less, 80RWP or more, 600 pounds or less, with decent ergos and suspension (ie you shouldn’t be able to see the soles of the rider’s feet during operation). That’s what’s gonna sell. As a long time Harley rider I’m telling you to hit em where they ain’t. “Storming the market” with goofy land barges ain’t gonna out Harley Harley. And frankly, I don’t know how anyone in their right mind would buy a new Indian for nearly 30 large after Polaris dumped Victory. Who wouldn’t think Indian is next?

52. 52 Hillbilly Jim Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:39 am

I Think Indian has just about configured the Chief every possible way now and while I do really like them I don’t see me spending the money to buy a new one. Now that does not mean I am buying a new Milwaukee bike either, nothing has excited me enough to make me spend that much money, however I was considering a new Victory Cross Country. It seemed to be a good value for the money. The last motorcycle I bought was a low mileage used touring motorcycle. The reason, it was a good deal. I put 50,000 miles on it and spent less than 2 k on maintenance. The purchase price was $7,000 less than a new one. I would do nothing different if I had to do it over. My point is Indian either better get much more exciting or become a much better value.

53. 53 Jerrman Feb 23rd, 2017 at 11:49 am

I’m a big Indian fan (after being a big Harley fan for years) but, they really have to stop massaging the Chief and move onto other types of motorcycles that are exciting and appealing for younger, new entry, millennium or whatever-you-want-to-call-them riders. This type of motorcycle has been done and done. Where are the lower end (yes, lower cost and lower margins) bikes with innovative designs that speak to the Indian Scout racing heritage? Some of the custom guys at the shows are doing some really great designs and that’s where the future is. This motorcycle is just more of the same. You can’t beat Harley by doing what they’ve been doing for years and years. HD unit sales are down 25% since their heydays of 2006-’08 and it doesn’t take a marketing genius to understand why.

54. 54 Oscar P Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:06 pm

In my very humble and inexpert opinion, and it has been already stated, Indian can offer those bits as options and trim levels if alredy existing bikes instead of making “new model” noises. Why not make a bike or two or three with the Freedom 106 engine to slot between Scout and Chief? Where is the lighter/stripped bike powered by the Thunderstroke that many are asking for? A new Indian 4, when? What stops Polaris from developing entry level bikes (look at Honda Rebel) to entice new riders and hook them for life?
    Advice to Polaris: don’t loose Indian’s momentum! Listen to the customers and potential customers or you will pay on the long run…

55. 55 Matt W. Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:35 am

Jerman: “Where are the lower end (yes, lower cost and lower margins) bikes with innovative designs that speak to the Indian Scout racing heritage?”

Polaris built higher value and performance oriented bikes under the Victory brand but it appears that market isn’t big enough in America to be sustainable.

56. 56 Kent Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:14 am

So many Harley Riders on this post, so much shop time. Buy an Indian, ride, not post!

57. 57 Uthinkuknowme Feb 24th, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I just puked in my mouth, disgusting. I hope Indian is reading these comments. Your styling sucks

58. 58 Franco Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:19 am

Hey Polaris, if your trolling here, a “New” model would be something like a modern inline 4 or a stripped down chief with open fenders and shorter wheelbase. Kinda like a Superglide. Just my 2 cents.

59. 59 JohnnySpeed Feb 26th, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Matt W – If you think anything Victory sold was remotely “performance oriented” you’re delusional. They sold bloated cruisers with ridiculous ergonomics the same as Polaris-Indian. At least Harley still sells a few bikes with proper mid controls.

60. 60 Doug Wozney Feb 27th, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Its interesting how 4.5 years ago I transformed an XL platform’d bike into a 560 pound ‘bagger’ and was told it was “too futuristic” by quite a few people, and now I’m reading all these comments that speak directly to what I have sitting right here in my showroom. Just Sayin’…