Falling In Love With The Victory Core Concept Motorcycle

When I fall in love, it’s always at first glance. And it’s true even for motorcycles. This Friday morning the Victory Core Concept Motorcycle is unveiled at the International New-York Motorcycle Show. Images immediately pop up on my laptop screen. Good vibrations. Instant desire to know more about it, to inspect it, to touch it, to ride it, to love it…It’s all in the design. It’s all in the details. Other bikes are going to hate it. Yes, it can be confused with a new custom motorcycle just completed by your preferred custom builder (pick one name). As a matter of fact it was designed by Michael Song who already designed the Vision concept. Cutting edge are words used by many mass manufacturers to qualify their new models. Very few factory motorcycles deserve such a title. Maybe 1 every 15 years? This baby is based on a sand-cast tempered aluminum alloy frame which also used as the fuel tank. Front & rear roll on 18” inch wheels equipped with radial tires. Hard Core in the rear (no suspension) and very Soft Core in the front where the wheel is attached to an inverted 48 mm WP fork. Powerplant is the 106/6V-twin, 1731 cc already in use in the Victory line. Sporty look is accentuated by a short 64” wheelbase, mid-mount foot controls and a very racy exhaust configuration and all this in a package of about 470 pounds. Of course, the big question is, will Polaris decide to produce the Victory Core? Nobody knows for sure. But I am proud that a manufacturer took its inspiration…from our custom scene.

36 Responses to “Falling In Love With The Victory Core Concept Motorcycle”

1. 1 Tony Murphy Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Cyril. You are very gracious to compliment Victory for making a nice copy of what you and a few other custom builders have already crafted during the last 5 years. Man, I love your site.

2. 2 Dave Mann Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Good for them. I like what they’re doing here. And I for one don’t mind the relatively short wheelbase and reasonably light weight.

I wish them well.

3. 3 36 Special Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:32 pm

it looks better than the rest of the stuff they produce, I swear some of them look like rocket ships

4. 4 'anonymous' Jan 16th, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Cyril…my apologies if i overstepped my bounds by mentioning this on you honda fury blog….
    like you, it was love at first sight for me as well, and your words expressed some of my feelings as well…

5. 5 Nicker Jan 16th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Looks like Victory has figured out there’s a new direction in customs.
    Smaller, lighter, agile.

6. 6 Dave B. Jan 17th, 2009 at 6:32 am

This is easily the best looking bike Victory has, but I expect it would look a bit different should they choose to actually mass produce it… like a front frame downtube(s), pipes with baffles(which would drastically change the look), a swingarm instead of the rigid rear section, and a thick ugly seat.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like it just the way it is, but based on the bloated ugly models they already make, I don’t think Victory/Polaris has the personality to produce this bike without messing it up.
    That being said, I am proud of them for trying something different.

7. 7 Freedomlaw Jan 17th, 2009 at 8:26 am

One of the reasons I read this site is that you exhibit the quality of grace. I thought this bike looked beautiful. I kept scrolling to find the price, which is the sign of my subconscious mind preparing to buy it. I give you credit for your site and your professionalism. Keep it up. All the best.

8. 8 rodent Jan 17th, 2009 at 8:28 am

Just the though of riding this bike makes my ass hurt

9. 9 dowright Jan 17th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Maybe Victory will develop a decent dealer network. I had one. After 3 months and 1,000 miles it was gone. Service manage said, “Buddy, you gotta work with me.” I did. Once. Never be a second time.

10. 10 AnARchY MoCo Jan 17th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Looks great. I’m sure it wouldn’t be to difficult, if it were to go into production, to turn this into a bike with rear suspension.

11. 11 Believer 45 Jan 17th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Gents please……

This is nothing but a knock-off of West Coast Chopper’s Greg Cook’s CFL II – Image 12 out of 34. I assure you that’s where their designer Mr.Song got the idea. Check for yourself on the WCC site and you will see it with your own eyes…

I am willing to bet that if they ever do decide to build something like it, the cost will be in the 13K plus. Considering the fact that they are using the 106 powerplant. Unless they decide to build a smaller, less expensive motor so that they can compete with the sporties in cost for an entry level. Additionally, nobody is going to pay that kind of coin for a production rigid.

No kudos for Victory……….copycats are a dime a dozen….especially in our industry. Go back to the drawing board……….and while you are at it, re-do the bagger, it looks like a UFO out of a kids video game. Maybe Victory is secretly working with the Japs on a flying robot…..

Maybe it’s time that they get a new designer that is a “real” biker……..not some art school hero that plays video games.

12. 12 Nocturnal Jan 17th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

You are not kidding. It really does look like Jesse’s CFL. Way, way too similar.

Not impressed by Victory. Maybe they should pay Jesse royalty fees from this knock-off.

13. 13 DonV Jan 17th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

It’s been done and they say it will never go into production. It is no more then a 500 lb paper weight

14. 14 Joe Mielke Jan 17th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I don’t post too often and I certainly don’t intend to start some sort of pointless blog reply war but….

Seriously, a CFL II knockoff? I personally would say it looks more like Roland’s KRV5 if it is suppose to be a knock off of something built recently. All three and many other motorcycles built in recent years have very similar lines, stance and posture. Who does Jesse James owe his insperation to for his VTX Honda Cafe Racer? They are all knock offs of vintage boardtrackers, bobbers, cafe racers or what ever you choose to call it but by using modern materials, design and modern manufactureing techniques. Just interpretations of an old design.

Granted manufactures are a bit behind when it comes to what the custom world is doing. But I think it’s great that Victory and others choose to and push the design envelope with concept vehicles. They have to, to try and stay fresh. Matter of fact, when Victory’s press release on the Core went around to all the shop emails yesterday I fired back an email to everyone I work with to say I have much respect for the individual at Victory that said “Hell yes it’s going to have a seat made from African Mahogany!”

15. 15 Greg Jan 17th, 2009 at 5:03 pm

DonV, They didn’t say if it will go in production or not. They don’t say, for now. Want to make us think you know more than others?

16. 16 Boss Hawg Jan 17th, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Does look like some design ideas came from WCC and may have been incorporated by Victory .

However, the sand-cast tempered aluminum rigid frame and body that incorporates the fuel tank, air box, battery box and the entire electrical system all in one unit topped off with a contoured mahogany seat is bad ass and cutting edge. It is a sharp looking Custom Bobber Motorcycle with purpose.

Boss Hawg

17. 17 Lyle Jan 18th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

It’ll stay a concept. Byt he time you hand turn signals, mufflers, and everything else to make it street legal, It’ll look completely different. But I do like the looks more than anything else they market.

18. 18 Nicker Jan 18th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

“…Just the though of riding this bike makes my ass hurt…”

It’s undoubtedly set up for “younger” ass…… 🙂

19. 19 just my opinion Jan 18th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I believe this bike to be an attempt to get the younger riders involved in the v-twin riding and I think we can all agree that this v-twin market could use some more customers. I say good for Victory at least they are trying to get the attention of the young riders and not just chasing us old guys. God knows there are fewer and fewer of us. If Harley don’t do something to get the new riders or younger riders they will need a bail out. As the big HD sales are dropping Victory’s sales have been increasing. But as HD has people working for them that are out of touch designing bikes Victory has got Arlen and Cory Ness helping with the designing. The sells numbers don’t lie and Victory has been increasing as the Big HD has been decreasing. These bikes are good looking and if put into production I am sure they will sell very well.

20. 20 Nocturnal Jan 18th, 2009 at 10:36 pm

You are full of crap……..Mr.just my opinion….

i have no idea where you are getting your info about Victory sales going up….you better guess again. Victory’s sales are in the pits right now….much, much worse that Harley. As a matter of fact, they are closing dealerships down left and right as we speak. Additionally, if you go on line and check some of these Victory dealer’s websites, you will see that they have 07 models on floor. As a matter of fact I even saw one dealer that had 06 models on floor. Victory is very cautious about releasing info to the public. And they certainly are not going to share their dealer closings with the public right now. Things are very bad at Victory right now.

As for the WCC knock-off with the wood seat, so does Mel’s Dinner’s men’s toilet seat, just ask Flo…she’s seen it many times. They are just trying to get publicity which they desperately need. Truthfully, they should have done a better job than that with a so-called concept bike. But then again, it does not surprise me due to the fact that their bagger looks like their snowmobiles.

And as for Arlen and Cory Ness coming in to help out Victory with their designs, it goes to show you how bad the design dept. at Victory is doing. Unfortunately, the bikes have zero personality and they all look the same. To be fair, they have been very successful in the power sports market. But taking the chance of going into the american motorcycle market was a big chance that they took that has not worked out well and as planned. Their “corporate” leadership needs a serious overhaul and they need to bring in more qualified people that have more experience in the motorcycle industry. Otherwise, their motorcycle division will continue being a “sidekick” to their power sports division. In reality, they have sold a few thousand bikes a year and that’s about it. Sad story after 10 years. Their dealers go from lawnmower and garden shops to used car lots….seriously.

Talk about giving yourself a black eye!!……. Leave to Victory.

21. 21 Urlacher Jan 18th, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I heard from the grapevine that the designer “Song” dude is chinese.

That explains why some of his designs look like toys………and are all plastic.

22. 22 krugger Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:20 am

It looks cool, not amazing but interesting design !

Kind of mixture between a Confederate and a Roland Sand KRV5 …

23. 23 Greg Hoeve Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:24 am

My first thought was that they copied the Rats Hole bike built by Ralph Randolph and designed by Adam Canni. As a matter of fact , my second thought is identical to my first. It’s still a nice looking bike with a fresh direction. Sub-500 lb.er as well. It should make for a fun ride. Wherever the inspiration came from, it looks good.

Greg Hoeve
    EgoTripp Wheels

24. 24 SportsterRider Jan 19th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Be careful when you make sweeping generalizations – everything that was said about Victory’s sales being bad, dealerships closing, and inventory levels being out of line can be said about pretty much every other motorcycle manufacturer. Don’t think for a minute that there won’t be dealerships closing left and right across the board – HD, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki – everyone will be hurting this year.

And as a group, can we all agree that every new motorcycle design resembles a previous design from a different builder? I definitely see the Roland Sands influence on the Core, but even Sands himself said that it was influenced by the racers of the past – maybe Song and Sands looked at the same pictures? Jesse James is also guilty of “ripping off” other people’s designs too – did he invent the Frisco style tank? Hell no, but he uses it in a lot of his builds because he likes the lines. The difference that everyone seems to be forgetting is that every builder is influenced by previous designs, but by applying their unique changes, they make a design that they can call their own.

I think it’s cool to see a motorcycle company that isn’t afraid to take a chance every now and then – some of the other American motorcycle makers might want to take notice…

25. 25 Jim Gianatsis Jan 19th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

They’re close…. But it needs rear suspension and rearward placement of the foot pegs and foot controls for better rider control of what is perceived to be a naked custom sportbike V-Twin. Right now it looks very dangerous and not very comfortable, and open to a lot of lawsuits from buyers trying to go fast on such a poweful, poor handling machine.

As far as ripping off designs, everything has been done before. A new design can only evolve in style and function from what certainly has come before.

26. 26 just my opinion Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Easy to see that you are not a fan of Victory, not sure why but they are not hurting like you claim. In fact Victory is owned by polaris they have posted billions in profits, thats right Billions. It is true that they do not built one hundred thousand bike per year but the number they do build has increased most every year for the past ten. It would not make much sense or dollars to produce more than the market can bear. That is evident by the way the other American bike builders are cutting back now. Looks like sound business to me. I am sure that there are a few dealers with 2007s on there floors yet but go in most bike shops Harley ,Honda a lot of them have bikes that are 2007 and 2008 means nothing. It just turned 2009 if the bike was floored in december 2007 it’s only been on the floor 13 month’s maybe those dealers got deals on those models and not hurting so they are not willing to give them away at big discounts ever think of that? Are you going to tell us that Harley and Honda are also going under? As for there bikes all looking the same. Even Stevie Wonder can see that is not true. There bikes are differant and that has both gained them customers as well as critics like you. There design department is second to none. After all they have access to all the designers that made polaris the giant that they are in the snowmobiles, fourwheelers and other products that they make. And in my opinion it does show a great deal of wisdom on the part of polaris to bring in Arlen and Cory after all Arlen was customizing bikes when customizing was not cool. If you don’t like Victory bikes that’s fine but don’t expect us to believe you know all and they will soon be gone because that is simply not true.

27. 27 The Truth Jan 19th, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Those of you who see Victory as a threat to the Cult of Harley Davidson need to relax. Victory sold 7500 units last year – Harley 265,000. But Trute that as part of the Polaris family they do have the backing of an engineering group, follow the law as prescribed by the pinheads you voted into office and actually have the ball to build bikes that donlt look like knock-offs. By the way – why is a stolen engine design in some S&S powered slug dripping with crap welds, frame spackle and attention to engineering that won’t make it past the state line OK with Harley guys? Seems that is as poor an imitator as an V-Star 650. At least the Yamadog will run.

Victory is a smart company run by some smart guys – They chose to engineer a bike that is fully tested, backed up and faster than Milwaukee iron when compared apples to apples. (Stock to stock). Come to think of it, you should test ride a Victory – designed in minnesota, built in Iowa using a modern engine built in Wisconsin. Actually if you do that – you may like it – try to relax then. As far as Song being Chinese – so are tha cases on your Hog. Deal with it.

28. 28 Nocturnal Jan 20th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Speaking of the truth………..let’s look at reality…

Here we go:

#1- More like 4,000 units in 08 to 350 dealers = 11.5 units average sold per dealer!!!

Conclusion: Horrible. How can a dealer stay in business only selling 11.5 units a year? Tell us.

#2- Victory uses one powerplant to power all of their bikes.

Conclusion: Horrible. Harley has over 6 different powerplants for their bikes.

#3- Victory claims apples per apple that their motor has more power than the HD TC.

Conclusion: Big lie and wrong comparison. If you compare the overhead cam V-Rod motor to
    Victory overhead cam motor, the V-Rod eats it for lunch. At less money.

#4- The design team works on snowmobiles and ATV’s

Conclusion: Terrible. You need motorcycle gear heads/engineers that have a track record
    on bikes. Don’t mix the snowmobile and ATV business wit the bike business.

#5- The Vic bikes all look the same other than paint and other minor design parts.

Conclusion: Terrible. That’s what happens when you try to squeeze one motor and chassis
    into 10 different bikes.

#6- Vics have a horrible re-sale values.

Conclusion: Pathetic. ZERO personality. They all look the same. Poor aftermarket
    accessories. Used bike buyer looks at it as the Polaris “redheaded step-child”
    and associates it with the snowmobiles and atv’s.

Summary: The Polaris Board of Directors needs to re-vamp the entire management staff and
    start from scratch and bring in fresh motorcycle gear heads and not use chinese
    designers that design snowmobiles and atv’s.

That’s reality my friend…….take it like a man. you can also keep telling to yourself and the rest of the crew at Victory on how talented to guys are. But in reality, you are not only blowing smoke up your ass and the owners ass. The bottom line is Victory will never be a contender with the weak history that they have set in the last ten years……….so tell me……….should Harley be worried??

Ride on fools….ride on….

29. 29 Muy Grande Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:50 am

I’ve heard in the past that Polaris does well with the Atv’s and all. However, the Victory division is dragging behind pretty badly.

I guess that you are right that after 10 years they should be doing a whole lot better. Specially with all of the money that Polaris has. They say it’s in the billions. Obviously, they have some serious management issues. Maybe they should clean house and start over. But something needs to be done, that’s for sure.

I wish them the best.

30. 30 Conrad Jan 23rd, 2009 at 1:16 am

I like it quite a bit and its growing on me more and more.

31. 31 SportsterRider Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:40 pm

One thing I can not tolerate is ignorance…

#1- Where did you get 4000? I get MC registration reports for my job and while I don’t have the final numbers for 2008, the 2006 and 2007 show over 7000 sales, and 2008 looks like it should be that or more. So that makes it 20 bikes per year, per dealer. And to anwser your question, sell other brands. The local Victory dealer also sells BMW and KTM. Another area dealer sells Victory, Suzuki, and Yamaha. Putting all your eggs in one basket isn’t always a good thing.

#2- Victory actually has two powerplants now – the Freedom 100, and the Freedom 106. Why is it “horrible” that there are only two engines? What is the major advantage to having 6 different setups? Make things more complicated? Please explain further.

#3- Maybe it is the wrong comparison, but why is it a lie? The Victory 100 cu.in. motor produces 106 ft-lbs of torque, with 85 HP. The TC96 makes 83 ft-lbs and 68 horsepower. So apples to apples, the TC96 is making 0.86 ft-lbs and 0.71 hp and for every cubic inch of displacement. The Freedom 100 makes 1.06 ft-lbs and 0.85 for every cubic inch of displacement. That’s an apples to apples comparison

Lets compare it to a VRod – 85 ft-lbs and 125 HP, with a displacement of 76.3 cubic inches. It is making 1.11 ft-lbs and 1.64 HP for every cubic inch. In this case, yes, the VRod stomps the Victory for power. Good thing HD had Porsche design the engine. And the price thing isn’t something to brag about – $15k-17K for a 2009 VRod. You’ll spend anywhere from $14k to $18.5k on a 2009 Victory. I don’t see how that is any cheaper.

#4- Well, those stupid ATV and Snowmobile engineers have come up with a motorcycle that has 6 gears with true overdrive, an EPA certified, 106 cubic inch engine that produces 113 ft-lbs and 97 HP, has fitted a race inspired inverted fork suspension and a 250 tire on an 18″ wheel as standard equipment on some of its models, and have been ranked by JD Power and Associates as the #1 quality motorcycle in the industry for the last four years.

#5- Please explain the differences besides the paint and minor design parts of the 8 different Softail models, or the 5 different Dyna’s?

#6- Again, where are you getting your facts? Most people use Kelley Blue Book, NADA, or some other form of standard price guides when evaluating resale values. Search around a little bit, you might be surprised to find that Victorys hold their value quite well. Not as good as an HD, but way better than a Honda or Yamaha.

I like how you present your points. You always start with a “fact” that is either half-true, or completely made up. You then follow it up with a short, often repeated, and obviously one-sided conclusion. You then support the conclusion by presenting more “facts” that you either made up, or based entirely off of some non-measurable personal opinion.

Oh, and I like how build credibility by saying a person’s race affects their ability to design a motorcycle. One of my friends from college is an engineer at your beloved Harley Davidson. His name is Aseem – do you care to take a guess where he’s from?

That is reality my friend, take it like a man.

32. 32 jbird526 Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:16 am

Two wheels, a motor, and a frame, wow. All motorcycles look alike to a point. You can say they all steal from one another if you want.

33. 33 The Truth Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

with 105 years in the bank, the homies from HD ARE the most diverse motorcycle company in the world. They sell everywhere, there sell all the icons and all the stuff you need to be comfortable when you are with all the people wearing the same stuff and riding a variation of your bike – that’s cool. If just BEING on a bike makes you an individual, then congrats – you made it. If once you are a motorcyclist you want to further seperate yourself from the flock, there are plenty of options. Victory is a great option if having a bathtowel with your bike’s logo on it is not so important.

I Like the Motor Company, I even like some of the bikes – but ride the same deal as everyone else – individualized by some extra billet or a concho here and there? Never mind. Credit HD for bringing in some newish bikes – credit victory for the same. Credit the individual for being…an individual.

But for God’s sake – remember that a rising tide raises all ships – if every brand succeeds – the pie just gets bigger! Each will have the same percentage share – but will sell more –

34. 34 The Truth Jan 27th, 2009 at 12:16 am

SportsterRider – thanks for the perspective.

Nocturnal – to address a couple of your points –

From Kelly Blue Book and NADA numbers:

Since the beginning, Victory Motorcycles resale values have matched Harley-Davidson year after year.

2007 Kingpin® Tour vs. 2007 Heritage Softtail Classic
    (MSRP / NADA Retail / Value Retained)
    2007 Kingpin Tour

1999 V92C VS 1999 Fat Boy®
    MSRP / NADA Retail / Value Retained
    1999 V92C
    $12,995 $5,860 45%
    1999 Fat Boy ®
    $15,420 $7,510 49%

All prices in U.S. dollars. Fat Boy,® etc. are registered trademarks of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. NADA

Power: You compare a high-compression foreign-born water cooled engine to an American air/oil cooled engine. Let’s at least compare apples to pears…

Durability: The Victory Motorcycle and Engine has several times beat all brands in the JD Powers consumer reports. To the level that the other brands seem to have dis-allowed the use of their names in the reports. David vs. Goliath. It’s a good thing – EVERY brand must step-up their product quality. There is no excuse for consistent flaws in a modern vehicle. Goliath(s) blinked…

Comparing a ten-year old brand to HD in terms of product depth and variation is just wrong anyway. Victory themselves even admit that the first bikes were not going in the right direction (i.e. mimicing Harley), so they and the bulk of the dealers see the Vegas introed in 2003 as the real birth of the brand in many ways. Harley does lots of things right – they have great people working for them and they control their dealers to the point that its like hitting any Wal-Mart – you know how to find the tee-shirts not matter what store you are in.

Milwaukee takes care of their people – they have great benefits for their staffers, and truly exhibit a family attitude born from the tempered mettle of a few depressions, several owners, and the eb and flow of creativity vs production reality. They know their business. Their business is a retro motorcycle. I’ll bet they have more success with MV than Buell in 25 years…

Victory’s business is a modern American motorcycle. If you don’t like Modern and American – that’s cool – but more and more people do, and as far as I can see, Victory is the only company producing a product that does not fall into an already saturated nitsche. Confederate, Fischer etc have not made an impact on the market enough to warrant much attention, and the rest build copy-cat retro bikes and pick a different hook to sell it.

As far as the design team working on snowmobiles and atv’s; I would suspect that there is some division of labor in these areas – there is NO denying that the new RZR side by side is one bad-ass looking vehicle. I don’t know snow stuff enough to comment on it, but I think it takes guts to design something different, no re-dress the same deal. Love it or hate it, the Vision gets attention on the road. One thing ANY decent salesman will tell you – is that he (or she) would rather know someone love / hates something, than try to fish through some grey area looking for a a clue. In the same way a Vision may look line an abomination to a Bar and Shield die-hard – an Ultra may look like a recycled conflagration to another. Heck – I read where even Sonny Barger, founder of the Hells Angels had Arlen Ness build a Vision for him – http://www.r3owners.com/viewtopic.php?p=226796

Anyway – numbers are BS. Love what you ride and don’t hate someone for riding something else. Just be the Loyal Opposition, and stay cool. And if a rider needs help – help.

35. 35 harry Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I love the looks but if you every wrecked it you would have to pick the wood splinter out of your ass.

36. 36 ATV fanatic Apr 23rd, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I have an ATV powersports, they repair it and it’s worth to have it, i thought it’s brand new again. This is my buddy through all this year. You should avail their service, I will assure you you won’t regret after you experience it.