Reverse Gear Anyone?

tamachireversegearI know, not for the majority of bikers. Mostly those of you riding trikes, side cars and also a few riding on 2 wheels. But I would not do my job if I was not telling you about this reverse gear conversion kit for Harleys with 5 or 6-speed transmissions.  Installation is not so difficult and it operates via the clutch, not via an electric motor, The “Mamba” reverse gear is available in mono block or two-piece configuration. Two different kits are available for cable or hydraulic clutch. Made In Japan by Tamachi but sold in the US by AIM Corp. (Advanced Innovational Machinery Corporation). At the V-Twin Expo next week, booth 2703.

20 Responses to “Reverse Gear Anyone?”

1. 1 Lyle Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:12 am

It’s about time!

2. 2 fuji Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

A Jap part on a Hog ! WHAT!

CyrIl did you ever open up the mud slinging door here . You bad boy! You know how to keep this site active , good man. Do I see a grin on your face ?

Pork with rice,

What a great idea for reveres.

3. 3 fuji Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

AIM is a great company with a lot of R & D in thier products and quality products to withstand the punishments of every day use + racing history to back it up.

4. 4 Cyril Huze Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Fuji. To make things clear. Regarding the choice of motorcycle parts. 1- My 1st choice is the best looking/reliable part. 2- My choice is an American part versus a foreign one if the American part is at least of equal quality. 3- I don’t discrimate against foreign parts if they are of good qualt, if I have had good experience or it is recommended to me by reliable experts. 4- I always mention the origin of a foreign part mentioned in my Blog so the reader knows before making his own decision.

By The Way, true story. Yesterday at midnight, for the second time the transmission of my expensive (less than 3 years old) American car broke again . Fed up…

5. 5 Lyle Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

There’s not much left of your Harley once you take all the Jap parts off of it. The front ends are made by Showa (Honda owned) Carbs, etc. All Japanese. Not just the Japanese but other countries as well. I’m not up to snuff on the newer bikes but the cast wheels used to be made in Austrila and much of the electronics in Canada. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Harley guy but I also understand it’s a global economy. That reverse is a good idea. Harley’s electric reverse which is optional on their sidecars is not only expensive, but also cheezy. That lever down by the tranny works the same way my Ural reverse works. Oh, I have put some Harley parts on my Russian Ural. Maybe if it’s sold in the US by an American Corporation it’s following the spirit of a US motorcycle corporation selling a product using some foreign made parts. I personally like it as it gives harley sidehackers a good alternative.

6. 6 Omar Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Cyril, It’s a crazy world. American cars and parts are being made in foriegn countrys and they are in need of a bailout. Foriign cars are now being built in the USA and are dominating the market. Maybe if your transmission was made in the USA by Toyota it would hold up. Man are things screwed up or not?

7. 7 fuji Jan 30th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Are you the flat tracker – AKA XS650- Omar

8. 8 Pitbull Jan 30th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Come on guys, don’t you know who AIM is?

If you’ve got a Bagger with a powerfull motor that slipped the clutch when you got on it, you need their centrifigal clutch weights, they work.
    Stock clutch+ their weights, and walla! No more slipping.

9. 9 alan Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

10. 10 Omar Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Fugi, no just an old timer biker in Houston. I like to build what I ride. I’m on number 5 big twin now. I,m not a flat tracker and work hard from becoming a flat liner.

11. 11 John Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:21 am

Reguardless of where it’s made, It would come in handy at times. Backing up on gravel, short legged people, uneven pavement. Somethimes pushing an 800+ pound bike is a royal pain.

12. 12 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian M/C Co Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:21 am

AIM is a top notch company and their guys are very dedicated to our industry. Just stop by any show they are at and talk with them and view their products and you will feel their sincerety. I’ve always found them sincere, informative and passionate about what they do. I’m a stickler on having products made in USA however I also believe in the fair trade of quality components with some countries.

13. 13 tbear Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:55 am

About time.
    Having busted up BOTH my knees a year ago and after 5 surgeries to unsuccessfully repair them and my Dr’s assuring me that my 2 wheeling days are over,
    This is something I have been hoping for.
    Not being able to use my legs to back up my 700# bike, this would deffinately be something thast I’m interested in.
    I don’t care where it’s made, as long as it works!
    I’ve also been checking out the Baker reverse tranny but with over $100K in medical bills to be paid first, I just can;t afford either so I guess it’s a mute point at this time but good to know it’s avaliable out there for when times get a little better.
    Would deffinately help me get my ass back on the road to cover events and find new scoots to feature in the Magazines I write for.

14. 14 MIKEOUT Feb 2nd, 2009 at 9:01 am

If BERT BAKER didn’t design it. I wouldn’t use it!

15. 15 GRAMMA Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Google has many sites for geared reverses, amoung them H.D. and BAKER. (Plus a few electric ones including H.D.) I have pins & a rod in one leg, and the other hip is giving me grief due to “overcompensating” (limping), so a reverse gear is going to be an option I will have to consider in the near future. I think I’ll go with a BAKER, American made & 3yr. warranty, although that translates to less than 6mos. up here, subtracting winter!
    Good blog site! Thank you; GRAMMA

16. 16 GRAMMA Feb 14th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Sorry, that’s 6mos. per yr. – 18mo. warranty!

17. 17 Gino Mar 30th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Hi all, I have a H-D Ultra Classic in Timor Leste (close to Northern Australia) took delivery Jan 2009, my younger brother took delivery of his 2009 Fat Bot at the same time. These two Harleys are the companies emergency call out vehicles as we operate a state wide L.P Gas import and distribution operation.
    we have travelled most of the northern side of Timor Leste now and we seriously want to add a reverse gear to our Harleys. It is hard work backing up some inclines especially when the wife is on the back 70kg plus the bike at about 450kg loaded and then myself at 115kg, and the foot pegs get in the way as you all have experienced, . I have read the comments of the above writers and seek help to establish the best option , best quality product for our bikes the price is not such a big issue but quality is, as we are extremely isolated and can’t afford to make a mistake with a sub quality product . Guys what would you recommend ? We would prefer a Harley product (but we don’t want electric) but if there is none we will have to settle for the best quality product currently available on the market.

I am prepared to receive email suggestions: ( if you are inclined to share your comments in private.

There are no Harley Dealers in Timor and there is no quality workshops for big bikes, in fact there are only 5 Harleys in total on the whole Island 4 of them 2009 models and one 1 a 2001 model..

If you would like to find out about Timor Leste check the website it’s free to view.

18. 18 Redditch tyres Apr 14th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Find a style that you like. When you first walk into a motorcycle gear shop, you may see many designs and different color. It may seem overwhelming but it’s not as hard as you think.

19. 19 John B. Lurvey Apr 21st, 2011 at 10:24 am

Attention bikers. Here is a warning regarding my experience with the Aim Corp. I purchased a Mamba reverse gear and had it installed in my ’03 Harley Road King trike. From the onset there was a problem getting the system into reverse gear in most cases. It would jam between gears, which required a rocking motion to break it loose. I only use reverse gear occasionally and frankly did not want to pay to have it disassembled for return to Aim. Last week the small gear departed from the threaded shaft,and disabled the clutch, requiring a tow-in to the shop. After disassembly, it was brought to my attention that the gear was afixed to the threaded shaft with x number of pounds of torque and a large gob of loc tite. Yes, I said loc tite. There is no keyway in the shaft for alignment purposes, The gear is not bolted to the shaft. The folks at Aim apparently have great confidence in the strength of loc tite. I have had conversations with three Aim employees regarding this situation. They decided without seeing the mechanism that it was improperly installed, even though the installer is a certified Harley Davidson service technician who was employed at GHOST TOWN HARLEY DAVIDSON in Waynesville N.C. prior to becoming an independent contractor. The employees at Aim all have an excellent grasp of broken english which I had a problem with since I am hearing impaired. Prior to retirement I supervied a Police Bomb Squad in Miami, Fla. for thirty years and all of the noise thar I was subjected to has damaged my hearing capacity. At the present time, I have invested $1,600.00 in this venture and still have to reverse via leg power. The Aim Corporation has made no ovetures to replace the gear or to refund my money. They did ask for a photograph of the reverse gear but forgot to tell me that they would pay for the disassembly. Aim no longer calls and no longer writes. Perhaps it was something that I said. If any of you folks feel that you need a reverse gears, there are other companies that market a similar product and according to the technicians at GHOST TOWN HARLEY offer a product fat superior to the gear that is marketed by Aim. If they weren’t in California and I wasn’t in North Carolina, I would have them in court. Thank you for your time and safe riding. John B. Lurvey

20. 20 Glenn Rightsell Jan 13th, 2012 at 10:32 am

To John B Lurvey,
    I have found your listing very informative and by what you are saying myself would not want one of these made by this aim company.I wonder if you will receive my response ?I wonder what ever became of this,did you have to remove or did you ever fix bike? The reason I am asking is because I have purchased a used
    kit of a different brand and wondered about your situation as this could be myself in your situation