2009 World Champion Dave Cook Rides His Bike Rambler Before The Competition

19 Responses to “2009 World Champion Dave Cook Rides His Bike Rambler Before The Competition”

1. 1 A 1 cycles Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:31 am

its nice to see the bikes drive….as a competitor in the 2007 championship i was very sad to see bikes that i knew could not have been run or would ever run…best show i ever went to in tampa..we had to start the bike drive it up a loading ramp, after turing left and right in a parking lot. stop at the top..and restart the bike..it kept some bikes out of the show..i know they are art and i know they may be hard to ride but in my opinion they must run and be able to ride…even just a little. otherwise they are just a coffee table.. congrats dave, and jdging by the smile on your face you won before you even showed up!

2. 2 John JP Persitza Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:32 am

Alright, to those in former comments who said “Not ever ride it?!”. Are you nuts? We ride all our bikes and the latest is no exception. Can Dave have a little time to tweak it before making it his daily bar hopper?. This video is him riding it one hour after first pouring fluids into it, seconds after getting it started for the first time, and 5 minutes before we loaded it into the trailer to make the entry check in deadline for the competition. As we get the bike dialed in we will include more video of it’s various destinations. You will forgive us if we also include various hand gestures.

Now, the above time line from first fluids to running is pretty impressive when you understand what he did to create that engine. He started with a 1973 Honda CB 550 transverse four. The top end he cosmetically massaged to what you see in the pics. The overhead valves and the availability of parts for this engine, as opposed to an old Henderson lets say, was Dave’s motivation for using it. So that parts would be available, so that he could RIDE it.

The lower end of that engine then was completely reworked by removing the unitized transmission and refabbing the cases into what you see, adding a remote oil resevior, hand fabricating the timing assembly and hand fabricating the bell housing and clutch assembly. The cases were then sent out to be line bored so that they could once again be set up to accept the stock internals. The amount of details that I could relate to you about all the went into accomplishing this could probably overload Cyril’s server and I am not going to spend the effort on you until I think you are worth it.

Since some of you have been asking about what exactly the engine is, and I have begun to explain above, I will
    finish the description of the drive line. The transimission is a modified 3 speed BMW gearcase which Dave stuffed a 4 speed BMW gearset and into. The final shaft drive is courtesy of a Yamaha Virago.

A final thought for now, is that anyone with $7,000 to $10,000, a working knowledge of Ebay, a local source for sheet, bar and tube stock, and a willingness to spend all of their time outside of their day job for two or three years could build this bike. Of course, they would also have to possess Dave’s talent as well, which I am pretty much sure why no one else has.

Thank you to everyone for your congratulations, we really appreciate your support.

Cook Customs

3. 3 A 1 cycles Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:47 am

i was giving you props…not ripping you..re read it slowly..i never said your bikes didnt run or drive..and thanks for the motor description..it thought that was how he did it..i have a drawing done..close to that with a puma case (top fuel in line four) with a 90 degree box to a baker trans..but dave did it first very cool. no offense meant. i wasnt talking about your bike.

4. 4 John "JP" Persitza Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Sorry, the manner in which Cyril posted my response to the comment below, the comment I was responding to,
    created a new chain of comments…………..which caused you to think I was responding to you.

“Chris I understand the Talent and the Craftmanship and the Engineering. I understand Dave as well. How could a Bike Builder spend the amount of time, energy, craftmanship, money into a Motorcycle that you are not going to ride ever and no one else where either. It sounds like β€œSIN” !”

So, that said, thanks.

JP Cook Customs

5. 5 Cj Hanlon Guilty Customs Aug 11th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Having been at this years event and staying at the Broken Spoke with Dave, he was often seen riding this bike around the Spoke. And not always on asphalt either. Dave took it off road to the dirt track that was up on the hill…so dave rides what he builds and what he builds is AWESOME art as well as RIDEABLE machines. Congrats Dave, see ya next year.

6. 6 Southern Smallfry Aug 12th, 2009 at 5:18 am

Yes Dave does do some real true customs, and I admire his work, true one of a kind builder. Unlike you CJ, Dave has more talent in his last turd that you will ever have in a lifetime. Just keep hangin around with the right people at the right time so that you will always have some “over the top” “Hey look at me” “I know everyone” story. Everyone sees right through you CJ, you may as well be made of glass. See you at the next photo opp. CJ……

7. 7 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Aug 12th, 2009 at 7:17 am

I don’t think Daves bikes can deny being ridden as I see his past builds being ridden all over town. Dave, JT, Colleen and crew did extremely well and it is well deserved. One can only fully appreciate ones builds when it can be ridden which is where the true joy is which world champions Goldhammer and Krugger know only too well on the salt at Bonneville Enjoy and congrats Daven, JT, Colleen and crew

8. 8 tattooeddmike Aug 12th, 2009 at 8:41 am

Wow! To Dave and the whole Crew @ Cooks Customs: A very deserving First Place in the Sturgis show! And to JP, I thank you for the explaination of the engine design…. very interesting, to say the least. I’ve seen some of the Cooks Customs machines in past years in Chicago and you guys build some kick-ass machines! Dig them a lot. I’m just an older guy who likes more traditional machines with spokes in my wheels, V-twin motors, foot clutches and jockey shift trans., or more of a bobber look.
    You guys put together some way cool machines that a person could get lost in just trying to see some of the details, (the braking design, front end, hand controls, ect….even the lighting gets some special attention). Keep on building what you build as it gives others ideas to incorporate into what they do…

9. 9 Rodent Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:40 am

Gee, motorcycles built to be ridden. Why a concept! I thought that was the idea, to ride ,enjoy, get from A to B, pick up chicks, etc.

10. 10 bigalyts Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Wow, we see the Bike runs. I am sure they all run ! I guess the gist in this and other Blogs were that or at least for me for sure “It is a shame all the time, talent and pure genius to create a Motorcycle and to treat it like a “Piece of Art”.Maybe the fact that it is sort of a Concept Bike ! I guess in a way that makes it a lot more understandable ! All you Builders and Parts Manufacturers can borrow from the Creation ! I do appreciate all of the Talent even for the last Bike in the Class. The dedication that it takes just to Get to Sturgis is commendable !

11. 11 FHP Scott Aug 12th, 2009 at 11:34 am

hat’s off to you Dave, great bike

12. 12 John "JP" Persitza Aug 12th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

WOW! Hey CJ, looks like you better stop sticking up for us. With anger like that out there it might get you a punch in the nose.

While I am making suggestions, I have one for everyone. If you are going to be making mean spirited comments how about doing it behind your real name like CJ, I, Kiwi Mike and all the other builders do. Seems like the right thing to do, doesn’t it?

Cook Customs

13. 13 Colin Aug 13th, 2009 at 9:54 am

JP, I tend to agree with Southern Smallfry, I didnt see in his comment anything but good things about Cook Customs. I think he is right about what he said concerning “CJ”, Maybe you should re-read the comment again, and by the way, blue names are for those that have websites, black names are for those that dont, but Im sure you know that, right?

14. 14 John "JP" Persitza Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Yes, I am aware of the that fact that Southern Smallfry does not have a website. That would be my point. I do not know who is, there are no repercussions to his comments other than my being able waste some time responding to it, just as I am to yours.

I very much appreciate SS’s positive comments about Dave. What I do not understand is what his bad experience is with CJ, or yours, or why this would be an appropriate forum for discussing it if there is merit to it.

So my overall point was that I believe what I was taught- that negative comments are to be dealt with face to face, or in this digital age, at least true identity to true identity, not behind some anonymous screen name.

Cook Customs

15. 15 Colin Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:29 am

Dave deserves to be recognized for sure, He is a great talent and a really nice guy on top of that.

If you notice, the only reason CJ ever posts on here is to promote himself,

For example: “Having been at this years event and staying at the Broken Spoke with Dave” ,

well yeah, along with the other 50,000 people that were there including me, I suppose we all were staying with Dave to a dregree. CJ is what he is. You will understand when the time comes. Just watch out, he just wants to have his face where the attention is so he can somehow aline himeself with people who have actual talent so that he can gain some credibility. Just sit back quietly and watch him. He will turn into glass just like SS described then you will understand what alot of people already know. By the way, I have told CJ what I think of him to his face, problem is, he is the one that shoots others down with false information. It has happend to several people I know including me, and if you are not careful, it will happen to you and Dave too. Just some friendly advise from someone who knows.

16. 16 JT Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:13 am

Hey Colin, you spelled align wrong.

17. 17 Colin Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:31 am

Thanks JT,….. Captain obvious. I guess that makes my statement less valid? When did you last win a spelling “B”? I’m sure you have never misspelled a word. Nice to know we have spell check police now.

18. 18 DONNY Aug 17th, 2009 at 8:12 am

19. 19 kustom jim Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:37 am

I’m impressed!I’ve seen some pics of Cook Custom bikes before,but “Rambler” takes the cake!Congratulations on a well deserved and hard earned win.Love seeing some creativity in a bike that doesn’t involve a “cookie cutter crate” engine!I gotta see that great machine in person.K.J.