Custom Chrome La Muerte Negra. A Fast, Black And Furious Harley-Davidson Dyna

lamuertanegra1

lamuertanegra2

Showcasing the custom parts that you sell on a custom bike is efficient marketing strategy if the bike is extremely cool. Independent Custom Builders do it very well. Few large part distributors do as well, except when one of their in-house collaborators is also a talented builder. Rich Fulk, Custom Chrome’s Product Line Manager, knows quite a few things about mixing and matching the custom parts that he sells to make a factory bike look like a true custom. And since he also got the design and fabrication/assembly abilities he built this very “fast, black and furious” 2009 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide featuring the “Custom Chrome New Dark products”. For the fast and furious parts of the equation ‘La Muerta Negra’ was modified with an S&S 106″ kit, some Zippers Cams and Thundermax ECM. For the dark part, Rich used the complete line of the ‘King Knurl’ accessories from Revolution and made this FXD-I rolls on RevTech® Midnight Series. Looks to me like the Milwaukee factory should sell it! Inspired and ready to do your own? All these parts and more are available in the CCI Catalog Update that you can see by jumping to Custom Chrome.

46 Responses to “Custom Chrome La Muerte Negra. A Fast, Black And Furious Harley-Davidson Dyna”

1. 1 Honduras HD Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:54 am

Big Deal! he blacked it out and threw a 1/4 fairing on it! Certain biker clubs have been doing this for over a decade, nothing new here.

2. 2 Joey Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:05 am

There is much more than blacking out. The parts are not HD parts that have been blacked out. They are after market parts in black or black contrast. How an individual can do black contrast on his bike? He can’t. Most people don’t know, don’t want to deal with powderciating and anodizing. Not surprised that the critic comes from a Harley dealer. I am certain that if I enter in your store and request a bike like that you will not be able to deliver, except waiting that you receive the parts from Custom Chrome! Very nice bike.

3. 3 Honduras HD Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:29 am

Send a check and i´ll deliver a brand new black FXD with “contrast cut” all over it, all i meant is their is no innovation on this bike, but hey thats just my 2 cents

4. 4 Dave Blevins Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:05 am

I gues I’m the only person that is unimpressed with the whole blacked out look… just looks cheap to me.
    No matter how much you spend, it always looks like someone CUSTOMIZED your bike with a 2 dollar can of Krylon.
    I’ll be glad when this fad’s 15 minutes is up.

5. 5 Johny Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:10 am

Black is beautiful. Black is bike..

6. 6 Jeff Nicklus Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:11 am

Dave Blevins,

Ditto’s! The black out craze as well as the “Bobber” craze could not die out soon enough for my taste.

Over & Out,

Jeff

7. 7 Robert P. Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:19 am

Nothing can beat black, silver and white for favorite car colors. Nothing can beat black for a riding bike. It’s the way it is. Hey, Jeff. Did you notice that most old school bikes are built by young people? Most old people prefer high tech. Go figure.

8. 8 ian Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:29 am

i blacked out my old 99 Dyna like this about 5 years ago and i agree there is nothing new about doing this – but that dosen’t mean you wont feel a whole lot better riding it than your stock one. Its a nice bike and its something any owner can do themselves one piece at a time over a few years to keep their interest in their bike and it from the other Harley’s in the crowd. After all not everyone can ride 75K one off customs. separate

9. 9 Larry R. Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:53 am

I like it and that’s all I got to say.

10. 10 Woody Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Nice and clean, the kind of bike that justifies still making Dynas in the first place. Would be a great second bike for short zips around town, poker runs, etc. I like it, innovative or not.

11. 11 BadMonkeyMW Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Sons of Anarchy!!!!!! The bike looks good.

12. 12 choppaman Nov 19th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Very cool bike!!! Shows that Custom Chrome and Rich Fulk know the current trends….

13. 13 David Nov 19th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Looks just like the bikes off Sons of Anarchy!! What a great way for a builder to go just copy stuff off the TV!!!!

14. 14 Rich Fulk Nov 19th, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Well let me start out by saying thanks to those that can appreciate a nice bike.

Now to the others, this bike was not built to be a ‘one-off’ custom nor was I thinking I was starting a new trend. This bike was built to show what can be done with a stock Dyna using a combination of HD accessories and Custom Chrome bolt-on parts. Yes this bike looks like bikes clubs have been building and riding because I actually ride this bike and wanted something that was fast, comfortable and still looked good.

I have built ground-up customs but this time I just wanted to build a bike that most riders could relate to and possibly do with their own bikes.

If you want to see more bikes go to http://www.customchrome.com

Thanks

15. 15 maroco Nov 19th, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Colors exist for many time,and we have for every tastes, lucky we have many options in motorcyle world, diversity is good.If i have one of this I´m happy man, but i can´t, so i´m happy whit my Yamanha Virago.
    maroco.

16. 16 Luckiest of All Devils Nov 19th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

come on…. blacked out Dynas are the teal Softail of days gone by… enough, I say, enough!
    So what, are parade floats (read: baggers) over… has that fad finally passed? If “club” bikes are the new trend, I will keep the bloated bike-O-lounger craze for now… at least I can pass these pontoon bardges on my rigid or even my stock Sporty..

17. 17 Bike Fan Nov 19th, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Kudos to Rich Fulk and CCI for a tastefully done, clean looking bike. I’ve seen this bike up close and the photos do not do this bike justice. Give credit where credit is due. CCI is back on track offering some cool parts thanks to people like Rich! Good luck CCI. Glad to see you’re back!

18. 18 1550tc Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

BadMonkeyMW

Sons of Anarchy!!!!!! The bike looks good. a

a full gang banger dyana would have the old black flat track bars not some 10 inch drag pull back TV bars

well he could sell SOA some them a few as Jax it seems is ready to step up to president!! and create a new regime/club

19. 19 tepiddeath Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:35 pm

The bike looks good, lots of black, minimal chrome, right up my alley. These jack a$$es with a million tons of kuryakyn bolt on chrome covers are not only slowing their bikes down with all the weight, but they are making their bikes run hotter, and are severely cutting into their riding time-what with all the polishing the chrome. I do think the bike looks like sons of anarchy, but it could be worse, at least it doesn’t look like a squid’s bike. I’m not crazy about the king knurl collection, looks like my gramma’s old waffle iron!!! overall, the bike looks good! Maybe he should be the stunt rider for sons of anarchy!!!

20. 20 David Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:50 am

Ok ,Ok watch the SOA comments!! Is that Sons of Anarchy or the SOA meaning I’ve seen on some recent business cards that were flashed on TV or is there a gun running and drug connection here??????
    Just asking????

21. 21 Jim C Nov 20th, 2009 at 8:44 am

I have a 2000 FXDX which came blacked out 10 yrs ago. Are you telling me this bike was ahead of its time?

22. 22 umusbhi Nov 20th, 2009 at 9:14 am

There’s a bike in that picture? All I see is ten cent pushrod tubes.

23. 23 sollis Nov 20th, 2009 at 11:25 am

bike looks great

24. 24 Ehhhh... Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Ooooh. Black. Hot new trend. Where ya been? Plenty of companys out there have been doing it for a few years. What should go to die is the contrast cut (oh shit…do I have to pay RSD for typing that?)
    Black’s safe, black’s clean, and in the right combo, it looks cool, but the murdered out look is tired and needs to go away.
    I sure wouldn’t claim “being up with trends” on black. Bike looks nice though…just nuttin’ new.

25. 25 Ehhhh... Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

*companies

26. 26 Bike Fan Nov 20th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Seems everyone has something less than favorable to say about this bike. I’m curious to see what your concept of “good” and “original” customization looks like. How about posting some of your stuff and let’s put it to a vote?

27. 27 Dave Blevins Nov 20th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Bike Fan,
    Post an email addy, and we’ll send you some.

28. 28 Vamartha Nov 20th, 2009 at 9:24 pm

In the retail side of this industry, black IS the new chrome.

Might not be new enough for some of you but it is what is selling and putting food on my table right now.

Personally I don’t think it is entirely safe (but who ever said that motorcycling was safe??) as I have noticed that after dark or at dusk a completely blacked out motorcycle does not stand out or catch my eye – and I am always looking. So imagine what Joe Average Blow and Granny Average Sue who aren’t paying attention sees? Nothing. Less than nothing actually. Chrome at least is picked up by headlights and street lamps and offers a bit of hope that the cager who is daydreaming might just see the motorcycle.

To each his own, that is what makes this industry go around! I hope it keeps selling, at least SOMETHING is selling – even if it is black!

29. 29 Fluke Nov 21st, 2009 at 9:09 am

I like chrome, so does that make me a bad person?

30. 30 Roadside Marty Nov 21st, 2009 at 10:28 am

Congrats to Rich Fulk and CCI for simply showing a cost effective way to personalize a stock H-D and if I remember seeing any ad from (pick ANY company here) you can get it in black or chrome so what’s the big deal? He didn’t set out to do anything groundbreaking and like it or not some people prefer to not worry about peeling or bubbled chrome after only a few months or even days after purchase! Yes, this style bike is popular with most of the clubs today so if you want to look at it in that aspect I remeber ten years ago I saw club guys making Electra Glide standards into Street Glides a good 6 years before the Factory did so I guess I’m saying who gives a fuck? If you like it you do if you don’t you don’t! Roadside

31. 31 Big Poppa Pump Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:29 am

Hasn’t DRAG, MidWest, etc, been selling black accesorries to the masses for quite sometime now? Sounds like CCI is on a slow boat from China, or should we say Korea, with this “Lattest Accessories” shipment.. Less than stelar if you ask me.

BPP

32. 32 Jeff Nicklus Nov 23rd, 2009 at 11:49 am

Big Poppa Pump,

Exactly!

Over & Out,

Jeff

33. 33 Big Poppa Pump Nov 23rd, 2009 at 1:24 pm

BadMonjeyMW – You nailed it RIGHT on the head. SOA!! LOL

this is nothing new.. If Custom Chrome wants to be the self proclaimed “Innovators” and “Cutting Edge” then show us showing that HASN’T been done would ya!?!?
    Dont get me wrong, Rich has a pretty good eye from some of the other bikes I’ve seen in some mags, but come on, you cant call yourself a “builder” by bolting on products.. my 2 cents

BPP

34. 34 Bike Fan Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:23 am

Hey Big Poppa! taking shots at Rich, the bike & CCI is pretty lame when you’re not bringing anything to the table yourself. let’s see what you got

35. 35 BOZOWATCH Nov 25th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Got to laugh at you Nicklus, the crap you bolt together all looks the same, 1995 “my first chopper” look.
    Retard.

36. 36 support69 Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Bike Fan, I think you’re missing the point. This bike was build with “bolt ons”, there’s is NOTHING new here in the exception of new looking parts that look like a waffle maker my grandma still owns. I believe that is the message Big poppa is trying to get across.

I too have seen Rich’s work and while I agree with some of the work he’s done, while others I dont. It all comes down to personla taste.

37. 37 Big Poppa Pump Nov 26th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Dont get all pissy.. besides, it’s only obvious that “Bike Fan” works for CCI with that comment.. 😉
    I just find it funny that he uses CCI’s backing to promote himself, that’s all.

Love all that “kissin ass!” ha!

I’m not claiming to be a “builder” so I have nothing to bring to the table. I’ve owned quite a few bikes and worked hard for my things. Just like anybody else, I purchase parts that I like, and yes, even bolted them on. I dont sit behind a desk sugar coating conversations just so I can get free publicity for parts placed on a bike. If someone is THAT good, wouldn’t you think they would want their own shop? But then again, why would you when you get free parts on the company’s dime. 🙂 must be real nice.

In closing, have a nice Turkey day and see you all in the streets.
    peace.

38. 38 Bike Fan Nov 30th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Big Poppa,
    With all due respect, you’re clueless.
    I don’t “work for CCI” but I do work in our industry. Anyone with a clue knows NOBODY in our industry is sitting back making money right now. Trying to sell bike parts right now is every bit as hard as digging ditches particularly with the pants droppin’ parts “hos” on the net. I don’t get my yayas taking shots at other people’s work or company and I happen to think that bike looks nice, that’s all. Happy holidays! Oh by the way…still wondering what your concept of a nice bike is. You haven’t said or shown anything.

39. 39 Big Poppa Pump Nov 30th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Bike Fan,

Not going to turn this into a “pissing match”, again, it’s a matter of opinion. In the event that you missed one of my statements I clearly said “I’m not claiming to be a builder”, but I’ll say it again just in case you missed it.

I’m not claiming to be a builder. There… that should do it. 😉 I also said that I too have purchased bolt on products for my bikes, but again, just because someone can “bolt on” products doesn’t mean they are a builder! Right? or have the rules changed.. again?

Is the bike cool? not really, I see those kind of bikes all day, everyday on the street a lot like the rest of us have, so again I ask you, If Custom Chrome wants to be in the forefront of what’s hip, what’s new, and exciting, dont you think they should have had these parts like a YEAR ago when everyone else and their brother was selling it when it was somewhat exciting?

Thank you for the holiday wishes. Same to you my friend. 🙂

p.s. btw, I own a few customs, one for me and one for my wife, also a bagger with a few accessories, and currently building another custom, but you dont see me flaunting and raving about my builds because it doens’t apply to everyone and calling my self a self proclaimed “builder”… Unlike some people, I PAY for my parts, and at times – make my own parts.

BPP

40. 40 Big Poppa Pump Nov 30th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Bike Fan… sorry, just one more little tid-bit.

You say, and I quote “I’ve seen this bike up close and the photos do not do this bike justice.” really?? Well, just so YOU know, I’ve been to nearly ALL the bike rallies, shows, events, and only saw CCI at TWO, yes TWO of the events out of the 5 I attended and that was Sturgis and Daytona that I saw others bikes there, but never this one. Where did you see it at?? I’m curious… Are they taking it to any shows to help promote the parts?? That would definitely be a huge selling point if a company is promoting the parts, dont’cha think?

Enquiring minds want to know…

41. 41 Bud Dec 2nd, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Who makes the fairing? I can’t find it in the online catalog.

42. 42 David Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

dont care if its not new or original. i think its a great look. would love to get my FXD looking like that.

43. 43 Ben Apr 15th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Although this isn’t anything new, and has been highly copied especially since the show Sons of anarchy started; I think it looks great. I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide and it’s black, I have had it since Sept 2009. I have wanted a bike for many years before actually getting what I wanted. I first stumbled onto a screaming deal a navy blue Sporty and had that for some time but always wanted a black bike. Whather a exotic car, muscle car, pick up, sport bike, or a Harley black always looks spectacular. I have’nt got my bike where I want it as far as powder coating and accessories yet and people are telling me I need to change what I want and even saying I am copying others. But really I just love the look and don’t think I care and am continuing on the path with it I have planned. Just my opinion but people should do what they like and makes them happy with their ride whether or not it’scompletely original .

44. 44 Josh Nov 3rd, 2011 at 8:59 pm

How did you mount the 1/4 fairing?

1. 1 Tweets that mention Custom Chrome La Muerte Negra. A Fast, Black And Furious Harley-Davidson Dyna at Cyril Huze Blog -- Topsy.com Pingback on Nov 19th, 2009 at 7:24 pm
  2. 2 Custom Chrome La Muerte Negra. a Fast, Black and Furious Harley … « DIY Projects Pingback on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 3:04 am