How To Scotch Brite Your Motorcycle Chrome Parts

A lesson in “Scotch Briting” your chrome motorcycle parts for an aged/stainless look, By Dar Holdswoth at Darwin Motorcycles (Brass Balls Bobbers).

22 Responses to “How To Scotch Brite Your Motorcycle Chrome Parts”

1. 1 Cj Hanlon Guilty Customs Jan 12th, 2010 at 11:47 am

Dar ,good to see ya getting your “secret weapon” involved with your work…sure he enjoyed the experience. Good video.

2. 2 Sniperman Jan 12th, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Dar, sorry buddy, but you need to leave the acting to the pros……..stick to building choppers.

Seems like everybody is “trying” to shoot video and unfortunately it’s not that easy. I’m tired of watching meaningless, homemade videos that are shot with a point and shoot.

3. 3 Dar - Brass Balls Bobbers & Choppers Jan 12th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sniperman,

I agree with you… I am not an actor at all. But video is a good method of communicating with people to let them know what you are doing (some people want to know) or to give a tech tip. I have a lot of people ask me about things like scotch-briting. Rather than try to explain it 500 times (when I could be building) I can just direct them to watch the video.

4. 4 fuji Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Good job! Father and son, all done without screaming and shouting.

5. 5 fuji Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Chrome a lack of substitute for design. Point well made.

6. 6 Fluke Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Well done Dar,

@ Sniperman… If I wanted to watch actors with scripts make a professionally edited show I would go to the cinema or watch American Chopper. I love the idea of home made videos like these to communicate ideas and advice with. We are in the 21st C after all.

Bring em on.

7. 7 raycwheeler Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Dar,

You are lookin good.

Hope 2010 is magic for the industry. .

raycwheeler

8. 8 maroco Jan 13th, 2010 at 5:27 am

Good very good, hope see more and more of this.
    Cher knolege is very important, and beauteful. Only this way society can evolued.

9. 9 BikerDATA Jan 13th, 2010 at 7:43 am

Finished product looked very nice.

Very interesting video, only shows the easy part. How about the trick and technic for getting good direction lines around gas fill area and in the corners. What did you do in these areas that the video left out.

10. 10 Larry R. Jan 13th, 2010 at 10:18 am

Just my opinion. I liked it and was glad to see someone other than an overpaid actor do the honors.

11. 11 Dale Jan 13th, 2010 at 10:36 am

Great job Dar and son. Some nice simple but sometimes forgotten tips.

12. 12 Gerry Jan 13th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Good work Dar along with your son. I can see him building bikes in the not too distant future…….How about some ear protection for the boy ??

13. 13 Doc Robinson Jan 13th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Sniperman, let me guess. You’re a currently unemployed video cameraman, yes?
    Dar, great tech info, enjoyed it a lot and got a few tips also.

14. 14 Kirk Perry Jan 13th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I have some opinions on exactly where the chrome should be burnished on 1954-1959 standard (speedster) and buckhorn handlebars.
    Your video took a great effort to stage, light, and edit. O’ pioneer.

All of the handle bar down to nickle (down to copper, is way down there), bleeding nickle is a great level to stop at. I’d like to age a set of ’54-59 buckhorns from http://fabercycle.com/
    That would take verve, my friends, not to go too far and ruin it.a $425.00 set of bucks. 🙂

I’ll look at both sets of my OE bars and report back with the specific areas where natural wear occurs – from a set of Pat Kennedy donated ’54-59 speedsters and a natural-abused set of ’54-59 buckhorns from that pile of parts in Morgan City, 1992.

I asked stett http://stettsironhorseranch.com/ where he gets his gets his builds painted (and congrats on his winning 3rd. place , Radical Customs in Canada. He said,
    http://www.uptowncyclesinc.com/ will take care of you.”

I’m taking my group of tin parts to UpTown to paint on Friday.

Since no one asked, 🙂 my stock-style ’55-57 rigid Pan is mechanically ready to kick over (once I bolt on the tanks and fenders and route the tailight wiring through the loops in the rear fender.) I haven’t ridden a Big Twin since June of 2004.

The video I’m planning would need an axle cam of someone on a hack-sled with a fluid mounted camera, following the ratchet jockey set-up, up a vacant canyon nearby – still thinking of enlisting the help of a jr. college (that would naturally be state liability insured) and posting a U-Tube segment with riveting dual angle action.

Glad to see one of our own, Dar, debut our future info-craft technique. Got young Dar involved too !

15. 15 Sniperman Jan 14th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Doc Robinson……I am not a out of work camera man. I am in law enforcement……as a matter of fact, Dar is much better than me in front of the camera. But then again, that’s not saying much.

Sniperman

16. 16 Roadside Marty Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Mr. Holdsworth, if it’s not too much of a bother…may I have your autograph,PRETTY PLEASE!!!!! Just gettin rythmn…Roadside Marty

17. 17 09 Indian Rider Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hey Dar.
    Thanks for the demo, and I’m off to buy the magazine.
    For the folks who don’t know Dar and have never met him personally?
    He is VERY accommodating to all who approach him asking about the process he uses to burnish the chrome down.
    Go to a show and set around watching Dar work the crowd–you’ll find him spending a LOT of time answering the scotch brite question and he does it willingly.
    Seems he’s hit up on an excellent way to get the info out there–info he doesn’t HAVE to share but does.
    Dar is a pretty damn refreshing find in the world of big time motorcycle builders.

18. 18 Kirk Perry Jan 19th, 2010 at 11:56 am

To all those that invested in our books, I am actively pursuing four different avenues for a no-troll, (nothing over 74 cu. in. OHV) interactive website to build OHV kits and troubleshoot problems.

My knuckle and Pan tin parts are at http://UpTownCyclesinc.com/ being painted.

I can provide an entire freezing winter’s building entertainment. Check out “Plumber’s” post on Flathead Power tech talk under “Panheads” and see the hard spots of a repop Pan build ironed-out already.
    More ’55-57 will follow on the FlatheadPower TechTalk site.

I’m wired up and ready for sheet metal and (4) qts. of HD® 20W50.

Featuring the FX shifter cam in concert – with variable rpm’s.

19. 19 DAVID Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:56 pm

COME ON DAR WE ALL KNOW THE PHRASE “CHROME IS A SHINNY SUBISTUTION FOR LACK OF DESIGN. CAME FROM AARON GLENN. HELL I GUESS IF TOU CANT CREATE IMITATE! GIVE PROPS WERE PROPS ARE DO. PEACE!

20. 20 BC Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:24 am

Dar,

Thanks for the video lesson. We appreciate your contribution to the industry.

Bill

21. 21 JC Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:58 am

Great video. Where can I buy those scotchbrite air tool attachments?

22. 22 dennis Mar 2nd, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for this video.. it answers all the questions i had and now im going to mess up.. ahem scotchbrite my brand new exhausts on my bike! Can you do all this by hand as i dont have a power tool scotchbrite thingy..???