Motorcycle Windshields. Material, Shapes And Sizes.

While at the Custom Chrome Dealer Expo in California, met with an old friend of the industry (Paul Gomez), now working for National Cycle, since 1937 a worldwide leader in motorcycle windshields. Gave me the 411 on windscreen technology, and I share with you one important aspect that buyers should know. Cheap windshields use Acrylic, a material not scratch and impact resistant. Have you ever been bothered into the sun or at night looking through the glare of fine scratches?

Better windshields use polycarbonate, 20 times more impact resistant than acrylic. National Cycle adds a Quantum Hardcoat to its polycarbonate screens, making them outstanding strength and 30 times more scratch resistant than Acrylic. Reason why all their windshields are sold with a 3-year warranty against breakage. Among all their new 2010 windshields, I picked these 2 models for FLHT, FLHX and FLTR riders, sold in clear, light or dark tint, with chrome or black mounting hardware. The VSTREAM (shown left), offered in tall and standard sizes for highway high speed performers confronting strong wind! or in a low profile for a more custom look. The WAVE (right), a little bit more stylish and sleek, sold in in 5.25″ or 7.75″. National Cycle sells for almost all brands and models.

9 Responses to “Motorcycle Windshields. Material, Shapes And Sizes.”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Mar 26th, 2010 at 8:07 am

The one on the right looks like a rip off of Brian Klock’s FLARE windshield to me. On another matter, hi to Paul, haven’t seen you since way back bro.

2. 2 i know the answer Mar 26th, 2010 at 8:26 am

Imitation is supposedly the greatest form of flattery. i wonder if the lawyers will feel the same way??

3. 3 Jason Mar 26th, 2010 at 8:37 am

I don’t think it looks like Klock Werks windshield. So it may work differently.

4. 4 john frey Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Your right Doc every one is copying Brian just like they copy Arlen N parts. I do see where Brian has a lawyer after these copy cats. I don’t think the windshield is that good it puts a lot of air on your shoulders.

5. 5 hddave Mar 26th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I’ll keep rockin the flare!

6. 6 tepiddeath Mar 26th, 2010 at 9:12 pm

the concept of the national cycle’s windshield with the flares, or hips or what ever the hell you want to call them is definitely a rip off straight from brian klock. the klock windshield in my opinion is much more appealing to the eye because the curves flow. national cycle windshield is much more sharp with it’s angles, plus a couple of my customers have the national cycle windshield, and ended up buying the klock windshield because of the problem of the wind on their shoulders, it just does not direct the air far enough out to go around the rider.

7. 7 Rogue Mar 29th, 2010 at 3:13 am

I have just recently installed on of Brian Klocks windshields on my FLHT and I am looking to put some miles on the motorcycle to see how it works.
    From other items I have used from his company I am suspecting I will be pleased.

8. 8 1550tc Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

. i wonder if the lawyers will feel the same way??

tough to patent a windshiled let alone enforce it if you ever got one

amazing what u can do with a snomobile windshield and some ??? wind tunel story and no wind tunnel data to actually back your claims

9. 9 Brian Klock Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Aww, Flattery. We were thankful to be the original and to 1550tc you can definitely call the folks at the A2 Wind Tunnel in Mooresville, NC and set up your own appointment. There is plenty of data would you like me to release it and let them copy that to, how easy should we make it ? For our little company from the plains of South Dakota this windshield has been a blessing, to all of those of you who have supported us thank you from our entire family. We were fortunate to get the chance through a racing discovery, to add some FLARE and protect my wife on here land speed runs was the first priority, to protect the rest of you with a stylish design, all the better. Thanks for the opportunity, Brian Klock.