Chica Blue Saphira Chopper

Because you didn’t hear much recently about fellow builder Chica, because this custom bike is not very well known although not a new built, because I like it and because it is now offered for sale for the 1st time, I introduce you Blue Saphira, a very simple looking chopper with some interesting tricks. It started from a one-off Chica single loop frame in which was fitted an S&S 88″ Shovelhead style motor (notice the custom shaped rockers) coupled with a 6 in 4 Baker transmission. Of course, all body (gas tank, rear section, side panels hiding the oil tank) are one-off. Front end is Chica Springer (16″ over) and brakes from  PM (front) & Grimeca (rear). This chopper is set up for both kick and electric start. Blue Saphira Price? $29,000. At Chica Custom Cycles.

19 Responses to “Chica Blue Saphira Chopper”

1. 1 BadMonkeyMW May 1st, 2010 at 10:01 am

Ya gotta love Chica for no other reason than the fact that he’s always done his own thing and never followed any trends. Many of his bikes are among my all time favorites and he’s a nice guy as well. Hope to see more of his work for many years to come.

2. 2 Paul May 1st, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Real impressive. Not.
    With all the money and equipment these guys have.
    You would think they could produce unique and functional machines
    instead of these cookie cutter assemblies with the same aftermarket parts that everyone uses.
    Give me a break !

3. 3 George Bremmer May 1st, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hey Paul. Yes it’s apparently a simple bike. But it’s not simple to do. It’s a one off. Except the wheels/brakes/rotors/transmission, can you list what comes from a catalog? Visibly you know nothing about custom bikes and Chica. Full of talent and no CNC machines. Can you send a picture of your bike to Cyril. I am certain that if it’s not a cookie cutter machine he will publish. We are all waiting that you show us your bike and your skills.

4. 4 Smiley May 1st, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Saw this bike a few years back at a rally in Washington state . You have to get close to it to appreciate the time and effort Chica executed to build this bike .
    Anybody know how to contact Keano Reeves? I heard through the grapevine he’s ditchin his West Coast Choppers bike cause it makes him sick to look at it . Maybe he’s in the market for sumthin different .

5. 5 golfish May 1st, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I don’t know about the “With all the money and equipment these guys have” part because Chica doesn’t come across to me like he’s basking in money. Every time I’ve been to the MC swap meet in Long Beach Ca he’s there and I don’t see dollar signs come from his setup\stand. Nice guy, willing to help and not full of himself.

6. 6 Doc Robinson May 2nd, 2010 at 4:23 am

Paul, you say “With all the money and equipment these guys have.
    You would think they could produce unique and functional machines”.
    And he builds exceptionally good and unique customs, following the beat of his own drum. I’ve crawled all over several and they are extremely well executed front to back, top to bottom.
    Chica and individuals like him, many of whom are “famous” through tv, produce amazing results with very basic and sparse equipment. You’d be surprised.

7. 7 Cade May 2nd, 2010 at 6:25 am

Yeah Paul, let’s see a picture of your bike !

8. 8 BadMonkeyMW May 2nd, 2010 at 8:52 am

Paul, the circus called and they want their clown back.

9. 9 krugger May 2nd, 2010 at 9:17 am

Alright Paul, we wait a picture of your bike ,please…..!

10. 10 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles May 2nd, 2010 at 9:39 am

Chica is a good personal friend of mine and our shops are approx 50 miles apart. We visit each other and I can assure you Chica does a lot of things with very little. Humble he is for sure. I highly respect him for he truly is an old school craftsman and does the stuff himself. While its a road to hoe, its very fulfilling.

11. 11 Heavy Metal May 2nd, 2010 at 10:11 am

I remember one of those Biker build offs with too many “famous” builders under one roof all building the same motorcycle. Chica and Johnny Chop were the only two that seemed to have their heads down working to get parts built. The rest were hamming it up probably at the producers request. I think Chica builds the only way he knows how and that ain’t to shabby. I do think Chica has earned the right to a motorcycle lift!

12. 12 maroco May 2nd, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Great builder, realy apreciate is style and knolege.

13. 13 jatinder pal May 3rd, 2010 at 12:41 am

Chica is one of the few builder who actually builds bikes,not just put together parts and calls it custom.I had seen chica making INVADER wheels,man…the finish was awesome and he welds them himself.
    His style is different and i rate him very high on my list.
    Good work chica.

14. 14 Calif Phil May 3rd, 2010 at 7:43 am

I have a set of Chica Invaders wheels on my chopper and I love them. Chica is very down to earth.

15. 15 Mazz May 3rd, 2010 at 7:47 am

Paul, man, dude, you really should not talk about things you have absolutely no knowledge of. Chica is one of the most down to earth people I have ever met, he is dedicated to his family and to his craft. He is a perfectionist that works with minimal tools and space. Honestly, you have no idea what most of these people go through to build these bikes, so if you don’t have anything constructive to say, please, keep it to yourself.

Thanks,

Mazz.

16. 16 mark May 3rd, 2010 at 9:52 am

old school and bad to the bone. Good price too. I would love to own it. 29k for all the one off by one of the industries top builders?! Man, I bet someone that bought a Big Dog back in the day wishes they still had their cash. I am really suprised that Chica is letting it go so cheap.

it is either a sign of the economy or it has provided him wiht enough marketing exposure that he can take a loss–hopefully use it as a right off. There is way more time and money into that bike.

Bad ass and congrats to the guy that picks it up!!!

(oh, and the circus wants their clown back….that is funny stuff. I canceled comedy central and I read this blog more.)

Mark

17. 17 BadMonkeyMW May 3rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Mark! Glad you liked my comment, and thanks to Paul, wherever he is in his Mom’s basement for being my inspiration.

And Chica still rules.

18. 18 John Dodson May 3rd, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I have Chica’s Discovery Channel Build Off Bike from 2004. “Fireball” its a very impressive bike, I look at it daily it sits in my office. John Dodson

19. 19 Kirk Perry May 5th, 2010 at 1:12 pm

“Anybody know how to contact Keano Reeves? I heard through the grapevine he’s ditchin his West Coast Choppers bike cause it makes him sick to look at it.”
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    That’s a new idea.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••

“I visited Chica’s shop recently. Let me tell you, it is very humble. As is the man himself. He doesn’t even have a bike lift to build on but uses the floor.”
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Then maybe two lifts would produce enhanced results?
    One, an in-ground hydraulic pillar lift (w/ HD plate) or with the extended drop-tail platform, or a custom platform
    OR a “Big Name Table lift” w/ all of the quick-change features.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••
    And – also add a rolling Creeper-Cart and a couple of air-stools. Everything on wheels (locking or not) makes it more of a studio/shop to fly around in.
    Chica can keep his floor space and be able to “graze from one set-up to another” as needed.
    Tool selection by reach is more sport.
    Plus, everybody likes him – an m/c Dali Lama that we all can learn from.

Crusher