How Royal Enfield Is Marketing Itself In India

In 1956 Enfield of India started assembling Bullet motorcycles under licence from UK components, and by 1962 were manufacturing complete bikes. Enfield of India bought the rights to use the Royal Enfield name in 1995. Royal Enfield production, based in Chennai, continues and Royal Enfield is now the oldest motorcycle brand in the world still in production with the Bullet model enjoying the longest motorcycle production run of all time. A beautiful film with no words and no engine sound.

28 Responses to “How Royal Enfield Is Marketing Itself In India”

1. 1 Henry Mar 7th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

A lesson a commercial creation and production given to Harley. Better than “walking cages”. It’s a beautiful video.

2. 2 Whiplash Mar 7th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I agree with Henry. Brilliant.

3. 3 Kemper Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Harley fired its ad agency and now use crowd sourcing to create its campaigns. And the 1st commercial was quite bad. Well, Royal Enfield doesn’t crowd source and has a good ad agency. This commercial is a winner.

4. 4 Bruce Rogers Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Harley Davidson is successful when it sells its image. Same for Royal Enfield. Harley abandoned its image strategy. Loser. Royal Enfield does a film to be loved as a traditional brand. It works.

5. 5 rogue Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Simple and to the point

6. 6 Jeff Nicklus Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:55 pm

This commercial says it all without saying a word! Are you listening HD? Hello …. Earth to HD, come in HD … anyone home?

Over & Out,

Jeff

7. 7 HD Chaz Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Superb. Tradition expressed with emotion. No BS.

8. 8 Paul Mar 7th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Whaw ! No hard core -classic rock – tough image….Go figure.
    Just the bike and whats around.
    I guess North Americans ad guys just don’t get it.

9. 9 Roscoe Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Great video.

I didn’t think people over in India had that kind of passion for a motorcycle considering they are used mainly for transportation and not just weekend toys like over here in the USA.

10. 10 G. Amstrong Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I must admit it makes me want to buy a Royal Enfield for my daily commute.

11. 11 Mark Jags Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Beautifully filmed indeed.
    I like that they’re selling motorcycles and not a “lifestyle”. But if you buy a Harley, you will immediately become cool, badass, twenty-something, wearing plaid and Converse sneakers, having young chicks diggin you and playing pool with your friends.
    I don’t know…maybe I’m just getting old. But the older I get the more I thinks that less is more.
    Bravo Royal Enfield!

12. 12 Dylan Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

When I watch that commercial I think of how the motorcycle is such an ingrained part of the everyday life for some. It isn’t a trophy or badge of honor, it is a vessel used and enjoyed in everyday life. This is how it should be, a true extension of who we are as motorcycle enthusiast. They don’t throw it in your face and scream, they merely hand it to you and smile. Brilliant Ad!

13. 13 arnel Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:58 pm

beautiful…i think harley needs to do the same style add

14. 14 nicker Mar 7th, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hmmmmmm……

The 1956 Bullet was a pre-unit.
    And like the big twins, i think it also used an Albion gear box.
    Are the Indians also still making Albion transmissions with those cool neutral finders…???

-nicker-

15. 15 Olive Oil Mar 7th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This is the reason I return to India each year , it’s a winner !!

16. 16 Gas Man Mar 7th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Great video and commercial.

What is that 2 for 2 on asian commercials that move your motorcycle soul. First the bank and now this.

Harley. Take note!

17. 17 Seymour Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:40 am

I agree with everyone. Really nice film/commercial. Although it makes me a little embarassed to think that maybe HD does know what appeals to Americans.

18. 18 Dan Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:42 am

Another great video find, Cyril. You’re the best.

19. 19 Gary Bang Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

My My how we can slam the best Motorcycle Sucess story in the World. I think that Harley must be doing something correct or they would not be getting a Oscar ever Year.

Are they Perfect? I think not but very close.

I loved the Royal Enfield video who would not.

Gary Bang

20. 20 Bigalyts Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Here we go with more “Royal Outfield” Krapola! Here is how I see it………I see a Dot Head Chick that I would Love tp BONE! Looking like She wants Boned and if a 350 Enfield could get you a Laid then I don’t need much Chrome! I see that the Metal that they use in their Bikesis like Toilet Paper, thin ! Just look at the Dood carrying the Tank…….looks like it weighs 8 oz. Look at the BRANDING on the Bike a Decal that cost a 5 cents. Look at the Pocket change and the on the Table, what’s that all about? Cyrill did you become a Dealer for these Bikes?????

21. 21 fuji Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:01 am

Wow ! . Bigalyts . Shocking words.

22. 22 fuji Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:24 am

Gary Bang

My how we can slam the best Motorcycle Success story in the World.
    ——————————————————————————————————————
    I can understand your favoritism and the history of Harley Davidson.

Though I have never owned a Honda the Motor Company will never parallel the success of the Honda motor company in sales ” Millions of bikes a year not thousands “or research and development world wide.

Check the files of Honda and you will see that they have produced more prototypes than any other motorcycle manufacturer in the world to meet the pulse of the buyer and the Honda motor Company started from scratch.

That is a success story wether we like it or not.

Not a slam Gary just a factual account .

23. 23 LENA FAIRLESS Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

GREAT commercial! Way to go Enfield!

LF

24. 24 maroco Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Very pratical bikes, in a Big Country like India where traffic is an organized caos they are very usefull.
    And Mr.Bigalyts, your words even 1cent.(i belive that people don´t need to be desegradable to stend their opinion).

25. 25 nicker Mar 10th, 2011 at 1:04 am

RE:
    “…Looking like She wants Boned …”

Moronics.

-nicker-

26. 26 Jo Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I seriously learned about nearly all of this, but in spite of this, I still thought it was practical. Sweet job!

27. 27 mike corbin Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Excellent !

28. 28 hobomojo Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’m just waiting for RE to build a 900cc “Interceptor” using styling points similar to their new Bullet, when that happens they will start selling a lot of bikes in NA. I know I’ll be buying one.
    Just love the simple, iconic, standard English bike designs from the 50’s – 60’s, can’t beat it.
    It’s the next wave man, that and Cafe.