New For 2012. Victory Cross Country Tour.

When a couple days ago I introduced you to the brand new Victory Cross Country Tour, most of you had an immediate positive reaction with with several commenting that they ready to order one. Because of your interest and because this model sets a new high standard for hard baggers, I have decided to give you all available information.

The Cross Country is ready and capable of challenging every motorcycle in its class with a rigid chassis, exceptional ABS wheel control with premium disc brakes, a strong and reliable 106″/6 Freedom powerplant (engine produces 92 hp and 109 ft-lb of torque), a 6-speed transmission with a true overdrive for the smoothest highway cruising, amazing comfort, low center of gravity with 26.25” seat height and the greatest cargo capacity of any production motorcycle in the world.
 The Cross Country Tour lets a rider control airflow reaching the seating area and thus control comfort year round in all riding conditions. The new Victory Comfort Control System consists of: • Upper Air Controls that allow a rider to control the volume and direction of airflow to the upper body. Mounted at the base of the bike’s protective fairing, these controls pivot to provide cooling airflow where the rider wants to direct it or block air from reaching the upper body. • Lower Air Controls that allow a rider to control the volume of airflow to the legs. Fully open, they allow
cooling airflow to reach the legs. Closed, they block airflow to keep a rider’s legs warmer. • Both the Upper Air Controls and Lower Air Controls can be adjusted easily with gloved hands.

Along with the Lower Air Controls, the hard lowers feature convenient covered and lockable storage compartments with 1 gallon capacity per lower; an iPod. cord that connects an iPod with the bike’s integrated audio system; and an integrated 12V power outlet for electrical devices such as GPS or chargers.The lowers are mounted on chromed tubular highway bars that provide tip-over protection.

Complementing the Victory Comfort Control System is the new tall windshield. This windshield is taller that the previously available accessory tall windshield, and it blocks wind, rain and road debris while providing a rider with a clear view of the road ahead.

A color-matched Lock & Ride. trunk is standard on the Cross Country Tour. It offers 17.7 gallons of secure, weatherproof storage in a space roomy enough to hold two full-face helmets. The lockable trunk provides the passenger with a padded backrest and it has two audio speakers. With Lock & Ride technology, the trunk can be installed on or removed from the bike quickly and easily without tools.

The Cross Country Tour also has HID lighting for optimized visibility and rear tip-over protection. Strong frame mounted bars that run along the bottom edge of the saddlebags make first contact with the ground if the bike is tipped over

The passenger floorboard height can be adjusted a range of 2” quickly and easily. A passenger has the choice of three height settings and the floorboard surface angle can also be adjusted a range of 10 degree. Every touring model features extended driver floorboards that let the driver position feet and legs as desired during high-mileage stretches on the road

The Cross Country Tour provides the most storage of any bike in the world, a total capacity of over 41 gallons in its trunk, saddlebags and forward storage compartments.

The stylish and protective fork-mounted fairing provides excellent protection and houses instrumentation and an integrated audio system. • AM/FM radio is standard, as is the iPod® cord in the left hard lower; satellite radio is available as an accessory • Instrumentation contained in the fairing includes an analog speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, trip meter, and indicator lights.

35 Responses to “New For 2012. Victory Cross Country Tour.”

1. 1 Joseph Jul 29th, 2011 at 8:40 am

Love it. More touring for less money than Harley. Thanks Cyril for all details.

2. 2 Shifter Jul 29th, 2011 at 8:42 am

I am not a long distance tourer, but bravo Victory.

3. 3 John E Adams Jul 29th, 2011 at 10:42 am

Great stuff! Kudos to Victory over here as well!

4. 4 Seymour Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:23 am

It is very nice and appealling. I wonder what they’re going to do with the Vision?

5. 5 fuji Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Kudos to you. Cyril for equal time on a great motorcycle.

Good looking well thought out user friendly model.

The world is ready for a positive change.

Now, if some could succumb to peer pressure and enjoy riding.

6. 6 Richard Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Some like this look….others not. Hopefully Polaris will market the “classic/traditional” look with the “Indian” line. Seems logical.

7. 7 1550tc Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I wonder what they’re going to do with the Vision?

easy answere ………advertise them lots in Blueboy Magazine 🙂 right demo for that bike

Ok Polaris now just take 4-5 inches off the front of that fender and lenght the bottom of the fender…………………….or just copy one of Jim Nasi’s front fenders on his low life frame bikes

and tilt the fairing down a lil then raise it and push it back a lil to hide the ugly bars………just give smothe slow to match the tour pac’s lines……..top view shows real nice lines now just do the same for the lines on the bike when u look at it from the side view

I just have this hunch Ness is coming out with 2 new parts, a bracket and fender for 2012 to cure this design flaw lol

8. 8 Hungouver Jul 29th, 2011 at 4:10 pm

At least the bag lines match the fender. Dont look like old fruit boxes nailed to the side of the rear fenders!

9. 9 Seymour Jul 29th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

My only design nit pick is that the tip of the rear fender looks about a mile and a half away from the rear wheel..?

10. 10 Seymour Jul 29th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Oh and 1550 can you explain to the rest of us what Blueboy Magazine is?

11. 11 chopperfreak29 Jul 29th, 2011 at 4:59 pm

There’s nothing a like a riding a motorcycle…..the wind in your face….wait, no, not with those fairings….the nimbleness and agility….wait, no it’s way to top heavy and overloaded for that….the freedom that comes with travelling with nothing but the essentials….nope, that’s eliminated too….hmmmmm…..Yeah I think I’ll stick with my sporty and a backpack.LOL

12. 12 Iron Horse Jul 30th, 2011 at 6:43 am

I like it except for the tour pak…I just can’t get next to that thing hanging off the back all pointy and such. Same thing with the Vision. The coolest one I’ve seen had the tour pak removed and looked very sleek. Oh yeah, for you legal types, I know that ‘tour pak’ is probably licensed by the MoCo, but “Lock and Ride Trunk” is too long to type out more than once.

13. 13 Boss Hawg Jul 30th, 2011 at 7:40 am

Great looking machine and a great tire choice. I run the E 3 series tires (160mm on the rear) with Dyna beads and they really make my ’08 Ultra Classic’s handling much better with no tracking.

Boss Hawg

14. 14 hoosiervic Jul 30th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Iron Horse and any others interested. The Lock and Ride Trunk comes off and installs in less than a minute. If you like the looks without but occasionally want the extra touring storage, just install it before hitting the open road. The rest of the time leave it in the garage and enjoy sleek look without.

15. 15 Odlamn Jul 31st, 2011 at 2:31 am

It’s an over-sized scooter looking thing. Why do we compare this to H-D, it’s more similar to Honda’s GW. What do the comparisons look like between the Polaris & Honda bikes in terms of performance & price? I don’t care enough to look at it.

I’ll ride almost anything, but if I’m going to carry this much crap around with me, I’ll take my car. I did not have a carrier or a basket on my bicycle when I was a kid. My bike is still not for carrying too much stuff. It’s all about the ride. Everything we need fits in a pack. Everything else belongs in the trunk of a car. Just me.
    O.

16. 16 Robert Pandya Jul 31st, 2011 at 6:35 am

Hello all –

Thanks for posting our news Cyril, nice to see so many positive comments on the new Cross Country Tour. We’re proud of that bike, and knew it was the ultimate direction that this chassis would go when we first introduced the Cross Country / Cross Roads a couple years ago. We’ll have three demo rigs and lots of Cross Country Tours available for testing in Sturgis starting next Saturday.

A couple notes – the upper and lower airdeflectors / leg fairings do retrofit to the older model bikes and we already have color selection going back a couple years. You will need to order the kit PLUS the tubular tip-over bars from a Cross Roads. Takes about 30 minutes for a reasonable mechanic to install. The power port and iPod Cable are addititional options. You must change to the tubular lowers, and the upper air deflectors design aerodynamically integrates into the shape of the lowers, so they do not work alone.

Indeed the Lock and Ride Trunk takes only a minute to remove and leaves behind no mounting hardware – it also removes weight from up high and behind the rear axle making for an even sportier ride. And I want to point out one thing that often gets overlooked – the nearly 5″ of suspension travel with the easily adjustable airshock. With such a strong chassis, the bike is capable of some serious carrying capacity (volume and weight) and it’s critically important to properly set your air shock for the best handling. Skip that part and you deny yourself all the work that Engineering put into the bike.

BTW – the Vision, while controversial in styling, is still in the line-up with a significant price reduction. It’s made for a rider looking for something different from the pack, and indeed still garners more comments, compliments and derrision than any motorcycle I ride. Personally, I really enjoy riding that bike – you feel like a barnstormer, and the adjustable windscreen, broad fairing and super comfortable seat all make for a mileage chewing machine for me.

We’ll see you all in Sturgis or somewhere down the road – enjoy your summer riding season.

Robert Pandya
    Victory Motorcycles

17. 17 1550tc Jul 31st, 2011 at 9:50 am

Robert

Quick question are you guys totally not going after that entry level younger sportster rider??

Yeah the vision is a love it hate it bike, the price drop might help………..who knows, its like lots of other products as it might be ahead of its time?? Look at that 02 bmw custom, its up in designer heaven with the rocker! Niche products are always like this!

Personally i know there is no substitute for cash, but i hate when factories do the significant price reduction sales promotion, it juts kicks the guy in NUTS who bought last years bike and sends him right over to harley/bmw/honda for his next touring bike ………..if its ugly at 27k its still going to be ugly at 20K……. just ask GM about their Aztecs, Solstice ect.

The Lock and Ride Trunk is really nice. Iam not sure if you have bag liners?? If you dont a nice 3 piece set of bag liners would be a nice accessory ……..also get Ness to design a cool rack for the guys want to carry more gear.

You being on here just shows how in tune you guys are with todays market place and you guys have some great looking bikes.

18. 18 Robert Pandya Jul 31st, 2011 at 11:07 am

We certainly look at all segments, and yes as our brand grows globally there will be more and more need for smaller displacement bikes. The design and production schedule for a global OEM bike is at least three if not five years depending on the types of technology employed. Polaris, being an engineering based company will always spend the time to evaluate designs and ensure that the final product is a solid as possible and great quality for riders.

As we enter our 13th year of motorcycle production, and following the Indian acquisition, there is not a segment of riding that will not be fully considered. Rest assured that in a decade you guys will still be pining for us to be in some segment we are not in despite the fact that we could introduce dozens of new products by then!

As far as pricing goes, I personally have nothing to do with that – however I will say that no matter what we do, there will be those who disagree – and those are the ones likely to write a post to express it. We respect that some don’t like the Vision – but their owners are damn proud of those bikes and they typically don’t really listen to nay-sayers. For them we produced a great bike – and honestly, if you don’t like it we produce options.

There is already a set of billet racks for the trunk and saddlebags on the Cross Country as well as bag liners BTW.

I do recommend those who have not experienced Victory to try one. We have a strong demo program with six semi-trucks, a couple smaller trucks and a dealer demo program. There is ample opportunity to test ride, and if someone sits by the sidelines and shouts out uninformed opinions, we tend to think that that person simply does not want to experience our bike.

I commend Cyril on taking the time to ride our bikes when he can, an openly invite him to contact me any time for a full product test – that is if you guys are into that sort of thing!

Rp

19. 19 1550tc Jul 31st, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Robert:

Thanks for the answers and I just busting your balls on the Vision, for the right guy i am sure it’s XTC on wheels.

Give away the apr rate or 2-3k of accessories BUT dont EVER get into that 3-4-5k off list price sales promos….. its the kiss of death!!

RP if your in Rousseau and love muscle cars go check out The Shed in Warroad, 20 miles east of Rousseau………friends of mine have owned the Victory bikes from day one, so its cool to see the changes in the 12 years. Definitely going to demo a few this week

20. 20 roscoe Jul 31st, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Robert Pandya,
    Thanks for posting, it is nice to see someone from the Co. taking the time to talk to us “common folks”
    I think you guys are doing a great job!
    BTW, I love my Vision.

21. 21 Robert Pandya Jul 31st, 2011 at 8:36 pm

There are several from the company who watch several sites – but to be honest we donlt often have time to engage directly – certainly not as much as we would like to. I just happen to be completely obsessed with motorcycles of all kinds, so I make time. Like on a Sunday night!

Take care – all I hope you get to ride a motorcycle this week.

R

22. 22 Brett Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Honestly, I am not into these, but I am not real into baggers. My 2003 Indian Chief is the closest to a bagger I see myself getting. However, the fact that I have heard the new Chiefs will still have the KM Chiefs price tag, not to sure I’ll ever be owning one.

With these, they resemble a Goldwing more then an Unltra Classic. Too spaceship for me.I like a bike that looks like a machine. These look plastic & molded to me. To each their own.

The one thing I do see, no clue how many here actually ride or what they ride, but it is clear there is a major double standard. If HD put this exact bike out, just a HD logo on the tank. most of the comments here would be negative, not positive. A majority here complains about everything HD does, good or bad.

I noticed the 1st comments were about price & how the Cross Country Tour is cheaper then an HD….which one??

The Cross Country Tour lists for $21,999
    The Electra Glide Classic lists for $20,474 for the 2 tone option.
    The Ultra Clssic for the colored bikes is $22,074

So where is the savings??? $74??? That’ll sway me one way or another.

Like I said, I have an 2001 FXST & a 2003 Chief Springfield Gilroy version. I haven’t had a single problem with the FXST since I bought it & the Chief had many of the needed upgrades done before I bought it, so the hope is there that I never have a problem on a long run away from home.

I don’t care what anyone rides, just ride it. I don’t wish any company to do bad & I don’t want Polaris to do bad especially now that they will try to revive the Indian, more hope they at least do a Darkhorse around $20,000 instead of $27,000 🙂

My post was more to point out the Hypocrisy of those who post here.

I have said in the past, I like the Highball, but would change some things about it. 1st would be the headlight.

Again though I will salute Victory & think competition brings out the best in everyone. I do however, know in the Green Bay area, there is no presence of a Victory. Besides my Indian, I have seen 1 other & have heard there is a 2nd. That is 3. That’s 3 more then the Victories I have seen or know of. This is mostly Harley with Goldwing 2nd & both are closely followed by crotch rockets..

23. 23 Kustoms and Choppers Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:30 am

My Dads looking for a new bike, Ill show this to him

24. 24 Matt Aug 3rd, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I think Victory is strategically filling a previously overlooked gap in the American cruiser market between the modern,value driven metric brands and the retro, premium priced American brands. This Cross Country Tour for example isn’t as affordable as a Voyager of coarse but it does come with more touring features like heated seats/grips, HID lighting, adjustable foot boards & controls, quick release trunk. larger displacement engine, etc. And on the American side a base model Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide only costs a few hundred more then the Vic but getting even some the features I listed earlier (Including ABS & MP3 compatibility) is going to cost you a few thousand $$$ extra. Whether you like Victory bikes or not I think it’s at least nice to know that the myth of having to pay a high mark up to buy American has come that much closer to being busted.

25. 25 Robert Pandya Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:31 am

The CCT comes with Standard ABS – I think that may be the price delta. We compare it against the Electra Glide Ultra Ltd.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour in Black w/ standard ABS is $18,999 (49 state)
    HD is $21,499. ABS is available with part of the security package only at an additional $1,195

I would counter the added value of the security system with the fact that the Victory has 41+ gallons of storage vs 35 for the HD, a lock and ride trunk standard that leaves no hardware behind when removed, comes with 3 power ports, and an iPod connector standard. The Victory also boasts more rear suspension with air adjust, cartridge upside down forks, HID headlight and a raft of other details such as adjustable foot controls, passenger floorboards, air management, and comprehensive dash package.

In addition, over the course of 60,000 miles, there is about $2200 less in maintenance costs (this determined by the schedule in a Harley owners manual vs ours) which does not take into account the value of the additional ride time.

We’re not pretending that everyone who sees our bike will love it and buy it – what we are doing is building a well-engineered American motorcycle that a reliable and viable alternative. If you are in love with a particular bike or brand, that’s cool. But if you are tired of the same thing or looking for something else, we encourage you to ride a Victory and decide for yourself.

But the most important thing is that we encourage you to RIDE!

26. 26 Matt Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:44 am

Hey Robert thanks for taking the time to be part of this forum but I think you quoted the MSRP of the base Cross Country instead of the Cross Country Tour in your previous post.

27. 27 Robert Pandya Aug 9th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Matt – you are right – sorry – I was going too fast there – the 2012 Cross Country Tour with ABS MSRP is indeed $21,999 (+$250 for Calif Emissions).

Thanks for catching that. Sorry for the wring information folks.

28. 28 kerry sauer Aug 11th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I have owned several bikes dating back to the AMF era along with several jap bikes prior to my first Victory. It was the 47th bike they made, while it had tranny noise,(to much lash) and to low 1st gear ratio, Victory warrantied the new one long after warranty period was over. my 2nd Victory has been flawless. I read the comments from a HD rider and as usual I see the plastic comments. I guess the Ultras bags, fairing, and lowers only look like plastic. This would go along way towards explaining the lack of performance. But seriously the owners of HD products should be thanking Victory for the improvements to their product such as larger engines, longer frame on baggers, more ridgid frames, fuel injection,( standard on my 1999 victory.) who know maybe HD will even update those hard side bags you know the non plastic ones even tho they take 2 hands to open and close. How about the engines Victory 4 valves per cylinder, Nicosil cylinder lining (when they did this on air cooled snowmobile engines they were able to produce 25% more power with no cooling issues) hense the performance differance Victory to HD, No maintenance save oil changes, and this changes the tranny fluid as well. No push rod adjustment ever (no pushrods) no primary chain adjustment ever. Victory is gear drive.Victory connecting rods same technology as formula 1 race car engine.
    The clutch isn’t buryed deep in the cases, it is right behind side cover. Also Victory has never replaced a complete engine, any good sized HD dealer has 1 in stock. I see alot of HD owners with LIVE TO RIDE shirts on and I think that means to a local bar because people should demand more from a bike than just a 100 plus year history of building inferior product. This has been told to me by countless HD owners, they tell me they don’t care about power or sharp handling. To each there own

29. 29 cat Aug 14th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

i sat on one at the local dealer and i have to say it feels much lighter than my goldwing. the handlebar position is a little too far way for me but i wd consider a test ride. no navi but certainly could be added.
    i love the look and feel of this bike.

cat

30. 30 pastor bob Sep 14th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I test rode a Victory CC tour @ Sturgis and again when I returned home. I agree with many of the positive comments. The bike handles like a much lighter weight bagger with the exception at lower speeds where the higher center of gravity is felt. The engine and tranny work well together and the touring comfort features are well thought out.

However, I was wondering if Polaris has ever considered a customization program where a buyer would get credit for certain upgrades. For example, I would like the handlebars back further for a better fit. I know that you can order a set of handlebars that brings the reach 2″ closer which would make a huge difference. What am I going to do with the stock set of bars? Instead of selling them as used on ebay, I would prefer a tradein credit. Again, if an exhaust upgrade is desired, has it been considered to allow that prior to taking ownership, the dealer would exchange the stage 1 exhaust for the oem exhaust with a similiar kind of credit. I realize this approach would need to occur at the time of purchase but would also eliminate any kind of special ordering headaches at the Spirit Lake, Iowa plant.

My point is that it would be a hugh customer incentive to do the upgrades. There would still be additional costs associated with the purchase of these accessories but there would also be a credit for the exchange of oem that would not be used. I think it would be another aspect of what might make Victory a leader in the production of motorcycles. I have done the accessorizing on my current bike and the question has always been, “what do I do with the old stuff?” I realize that this is not applicable to all of the accessories but it might make a difference with the more basic upgrades. Just something else to chew on.

I will say that my next bike will be a Victory Cross Country Tour. I have tried the Road Glide Ultra and the 2012 Gold Wing and my choice is the Victory CCT hands down. It fits my aesthetic. It is built with attention to detail and quality, and, it stands out ergonomically.

31. 31 kerry sauer Sep 14th, 2011 at 3:13 pm

VICTORY USED TO DO A CUSTOM ORDER PROGRAM, BUT IT HAS BEEN SCALED BACK TO NOTHING OVER THE YEARS. I LAMENT ITS PASSING, IT WOULD BE NICE TO GET DIFFERANT HANDLEBARS AS I AM TALL AND HAVE LONG ARMS I WOULD PREFER MORE REACH. SOME ADJUSTMENT TO THE BARS WOULD BE WELCOME. MY VOYAGER HAD IT AND IT WAS AN 03 I BELIEVE HONDA HAD IT ON GOLDWINGS, AND YAMAHA ON THERE VENTURE THAT WAS AS FAR BACK AS THE EIGHTYS WE MOVE FORWARD IN SOME AREAS AND STEP BACK IN OTHERS.

32. 32 kerry sauer Sep 14th, 2011 at 3:14 pm

HOW DO YOU RIDERS FEEL ABOUT ABS BEING STANDARD, I’M OLD SCHOOL WOULD PREFER NOT TO HAVE IT

33. 33 BLACKEY Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Being a motorcyclist for over 40 years(beginning with old trumps/bsa) I’ve been in the Motorcycle business for 15 yrs and been an avid HD owner for 33 years, amoungst my stable are a few vintage/collectable bikes, my main “Short notice / Long distance” ride was the Triumph RK3 Touring UNTILL I test rode a Victory in 2010 the Victory handling far out weighed the power difference I thought I’d miss, 2 weeks later bought the Cross Country, 11 months & 11,500klms later, am trading up to the Cross Country Tour. I have owned well over a hundred bikes, the Victory has given me more reliable comfort & enjoyment than any other, I’ll always have a love affair with HD as well but my “Short notice / Long distance” ride will remain Victory, I just don’t what you guys guys will do to better the Cross Country Tour for my style but you can bet I’ll be considering the next model as well. Cheers. (from a very satisfied Australian Victory customer)

34. 34 Foggy999 Dec 2nd, 2011 at 8:24 am

My husband and I owned an 08′ Harley Electra glide. One test ride on the Cross Country sold us and we purchased it that same day. There is NO COMPARISON to the ride of the Cross Country to the Harley. It has WAY more power and a significantly better ride and comfort. We purchased the 10′ Cross Country and I believe we are trading up to the Cross Country Tour in the very near future for even more creature comforts. We have said it before and will say it again and again…. we will NEVER go back to a Harley. We are sold!! VICTORY ALL THE WAY!!

35. 35 Big Red Jan 7th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

In the past 12 years I have owned a HD Road King, EG Ultra Classic and recently an 09 HD Road Glide. Last month I test drove the new Vic Cross Country tour and I can say the bike impressed me. I was so impressed that the Road Glide stayed at the Vic Dealer and the Cross country went home with me. I want the best product for the best price and Victory swayed me over with their product. I like the styling on the bike, the Vision is to over the top for me. Handling is far superior to the HD touring bikes, Power is superior, and the bike IMHO is ergonomically superior, my wife and I have more room on the CC than any HD I have ever owned. Thumbs up to Victory for making an outstanding bike. Also their Audio system is way better than the HD’s. I just redid my mufflers and now its got the sound to go along with the rest of the package. Best of all its made in the USA! So to all the HD owners out there, Don’t Hate. HD makes a great bike but to me the Victory has the edge now. Maybe HD wll understand we all don’t want to ride a bike that looks the same as everyone else.

Crusher