Brat Style Is Back

Although, like for any other styles of bikes, you will never find a strict, agreed by all, definition of what makes a motorcycle a Brat bike, let’s say that more often than not, they are based on small displacement Japanese factory bikes with modified frame, low stance and slab type seats. Others will tell you that it’s enough to look at the work of Brat Style, a shop in Japan to understand what’s the style is all about.  Better than my words, the one featured may be a perfect example of what I just tried to describe to you.

This bike was built by Rex Havoc and friend Brad out of Perth, Australia in their small shop named Garage Project Motorcycles. Starting with a 1972 Honda CB350 bought for only $1600 on eBay, both men have achieved what can be a stereotyped representation of the perfect Brat style. It should inspire a lot of young builders and riders, proving that with a quite low budget you can create and ride a very cool bike.

Tech Sheet / Modifications 1972 Honda CB350 Twin

• 18″ Akront rims • 450 Firestone Tyres • Modified forks • Extended swingarm 70mm • Modified Harley rear fender • Replaced pressed steel subframe • Custom made seat • Maund Speed Velocity Stacks • Maundspeed Inverted Levers • Vintage wiring • Custom Speedo face • Custom Air Brushed tank which includes artist Nanami Cowdroy’s Kintoto Blot • Rizoma mirror

24 Responses to “Brat Style Is Back”

1. 1 Keith Stone - Kiki & Angel Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:02 am

They are fun as hell to ride ! !

2. 2 Tyler Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Rad bike, that is a customer of ours. That bike is actually featured in our current print catalog for fall / winter 2012, Weirdo vol. 2. Glad to see it getting more recognition

Tyler

3. 3 hk Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:27 am

i dig it ,looks like a riot to ride.

clever placement of the side mirror

4. 4 Kustoms and Choppers Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’m new to brat style but it looks fun to ride

5. 5 David Oct 10th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Some different tires,handlebars and seat and this would make a excellent Cafe Racer.

SSDD;David

6. 6 mike Oct 10th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I applaud the creativity of all the cafe racer, bobber and rat bikes. Sad though, all made from recycled bikes, used parts and home made items that have ltlle of no marketability. You wont see these guys advertising on cyril. just another sign of the low dollar times.
    once again, fun stuff though.

7. 7 Ed Oct 10th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Looks kind of like a cross between a bobber & a cafe racer.

8. 8 Magnumbob Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love this stuff.
    There’s a number of young guys around me building relatively low buck customs from old Japanese bikes. Instead of just going through a 20 pound catalog and picking out all the latest shiny baubles to screw together, they’re actually scheming on what components they can pilfer and modify from other bikes or simply make themselves to get the look they are after.
    ‘Nothing wrong with that.

9. 9 hk Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

hey mike ,respectfully some people build bikes to suit themselsves with no intention of even wanting someone to buy the same thing.These kinds of bikes are no different than streetfighters or even rat rod cars or trucks ,they are built to be used and ridden and cost or resale or selling parts are not the intentions .The last bike that won at the AMD was apparently only $4500 in parts ,creativity beats a fat checkbook anytime.

10. 10 Sheridan Oct 10th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Well done Rex, nice to see a local boy getting some global recognition!

11. 11 Woody Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

There’s just something “right” about using the same size front & rear tires 🙂 Big thumbs up!

12. 12 RUB Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

if this is what the custom motorcycle market is turning too , is this a good thing or a bad ? Seems this style is what is being “pushed” down our throats now . Anybody over 200 lbs is gonna look goofy on one of these bikes .

13. 13 luSca custom design Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:27 am

Very nice bike! cool grips!

14. 14 rex havoc Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:32 am

Thanks guys for your comments, they are much appreciated. I was thinking the other day that the word “Brat” probably comes from Bobber & Rat, a ratty bobber so to speak. Although we got the “lines” right, it’s far from being ratty. I imagine the boys at Brat Style are 頭を揺すって (shaking their heads).

15. 15 Doc Robinson Oct 11th, 2011 at 6:40 am

With respect to HK’s suggestion that the winning bike at AMD cost only $4,500 dollars in parts, I find that very hard to believe. It is powered by an S&S SH93 Shovelhead style motor, runs a Primo belt drive Marchesini wheels and Lockheed calipers for starters. Then there’s the gearbox (brand not listed), trick floating rotors, very trick adjustable clutch and brake levers and quite a few other items that don’t look as if they are found in a scrap heap to me. Now add in tires, lights, electrical system, front and rear master cylinders and, even with all his fabulous crafting of aluminum componentry, somehow $4,500 seems way to cheap for such a beautiful machine.

16. 16 bigalyts Oct 11th, 2011 at 7:41 am

I was thinking that my stomach is in the way if I lay down to see out of the right rear view mirror. That is why I know that this Bike was never built for me. I would require at least a 750 / 4.

17. 17 Ed Martin Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:34 am

I like it……right down my alley…..”Mr Lucky”

18. 18 hk Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:38 am

doc ,keep in mind for that AMD bike they bought most of the parts used from ebay etc.Ive bought tons of parts from ebay for 1/3 the retail price and refurbished them to new .Its very possible .

Even if the 4500 price tag was a bit on the low side ,yoou can build a world class bike or car for that matter for super cheap if you make the parts yourself or refurbish used ones .Ever see a skilled guy on a lathe or machining tool turn a 30 dollar peice of metal from a scrap pile into a jewel ..happens all the time .

labour on the other hand im sure was 10 times the $4500 price tag

19. 19 rags Oct 11th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

awesome.mini bobber

20. 20 Septic the Sceptic Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:48 pm

RUB, it ain’t a fashion show ya know. Ride what you want, not what the blogosphere deems as “kewl” this week.

21. 21 RUB Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Septic , I hear ya . Riding to Daytona Fri on my 03 Road King . I’m betting we won’t see many “Brats” on I 95 .

22. 22 Septic the Sceptic Oct 12th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Tru dat.

23. 23 Steve The producer Johann Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Reminds me of a mini bike on steriods.

24. 24 JamesMcBride Oct 21st, 2011 at 12:32 am

Really love what they’ve done with this bike, it’s almost too pretty to ride. Almost.