Caught On Video. Bikers Chase SUV Driver For Fender Bender And Attack Him.

The story. In upper Manhattan, NY one biker riding with a large group apparently cut a Range Rover driver off and slammed on the brakes. Consequently, the SUV hits the motorcycle rear tire. Driver stops and bikers start damaging the car. The driver speeds away, striking 3 motorcycles. A long chase begins on the West Side Highway until the driver gets off on W. 176th Street and is obliged to stop at a a red light on W. 178th Street. One of the bikers takes off his helmet which he uses to smash through the driver’s side window. Another one tries to punch through a window to the backseat where a child was sitting. The driver who was traveling with his wife and child in the SUV was taken to Columbia University Medical Center where he received stitches for face cuts, then released. No other injuries were reported. Police have arrested 15 people and seized 55 motorcycles in connection with the stunt event. A biker’s helmet cam shows the SUV chase and the attack.

59 Responses to “Caught On Video. Bikers Chase SUV Driver For Fender Bender And Attack Him.”

1. 1 Homer Oct 1st, 2013 at 8:22 am

WTF ?

2. 2 carson marshall Oct 1st, 2013 at 8:32 am

giving bikers a bad name.

3. 3 BobS Oct 1st, 2013 at 8:34 am

I hope they get the rest of them.

4. 4 Rodent Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:08 am

That’s the way it’s always been in the Big Apple before GoPro and Cellphone cameras. I could tell ya stories but I won’t !

5. 5 Dragon Bob Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:17 am

They are just punks on 2 wheels

6. 6 JohnJ Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:22 am

Geebuz, where was MAD MAX when you need him??? the future???

7. 7 JackS Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:53 am

I am sure it was terrifying for the family. What a bunch of pansies weakly acting like “all that” because they had their mob of friends to back them up–and all because of something they caused to begin with. Mob mentality = jerks gone wild.

8. 8 CafeSportyTC Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:10 am

im glad to see the comments arn’t backing the bikers, the bike stopped in front of the SUV because the suv got cut off and honked…. little boys with attitudes …

9. 9 LoneRider Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:31 am

Stupid kids with a mob lack of mentality. They have just set back bikers image a decade ! Punks on “sports” bikes. LOCK THEM UP WITH REAL BAD BOYS !!!

10. 10 Mr Dick Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:40 am

Typical young sportbike riders-KNOBS. The guy busting the window would have looked pretty stupid staring down the barrel of a 45. And the driver would have the right, one less goof on the road.

11. 11 Mike Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:42 am

I closely looked over the group of riders. All I can say is no surprise.

12. 12 takehikes Oct 1st, 2013 at 12:06 pm

they are real lucky he didn’t use a 2 ton SUV hammer on all of them….

13. 13 Ac@SRG Oct 1st, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Lerning curve to be a biker that ride in packs

14. 14 bigitch Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:24 pm

wonder what the out come had been if the re was a gun around in the car. remeber the ”stand your ground’ law is coming to your state… soon

15. 15 Chris Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:52 pm

A guy could have blasted the biker in the face and splattered brains all over his wife and two year old. Not saying I wouldn’t do the same if I was armed and in his position, but that isn’t necessarily a winning resolution either.

16. 16 NJBrian Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Feel bad for the guy and his family. What a bunch of a holes. I would have done the same if I had my kid in the car with me. And at the end, I would have thrown it in reverse and backed over all of them. If they are going to act like animals, they should be treated like animals. If any of them have kids they should understand the driver, I would do anything to get my kid away from that mob.

17. 17 Arie Oct 1st, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I read another article that said the guy that got run over got off his bike to help his friend and was an “innocent by-stander”. What a load of crap! These riders were acting like they owed the frickin’ road. The guy who got clipped was clearly doing a “brake job” on the SUV and just being a pri*k. Poor kid will never look at bikers the same. I wonder how much charity work this group of riders does?

18. 18 Brett Oct 1st, 2013 at 4:27 pm

They said on CNN that the driver was pulled from the car & slapped around. Also said cops took this video to use as evidence.

19. 19 Blackmax Oct 1st, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Y know, I’ve seen & understand BOTH sides of the augument….
    I would be scared to death if I was surround by a group of angry bikers
    and because I hold a CCW probably would’ve shot one of them as the situation escalated.
    On The other hand I have seeing what havoc a impatient/irate “Cager” can do to a “Charity” Run
    or just a group out for a putt. And yes, if a driver had injured one of my group that I was
    a “road captain” for you can bet you ass I would go after them.
    But both ways are a “No Win” Situation,that end up badly for BOTH sides !!!!
    But, because the so called news outlets, who have grabbed on to this story like a Pit Bull on a bone, have gone nuts with the “Crazed Pack of Bikers” riff. You’ve got people and pundits on every outlet that have NEVER, nor have any plans to EVER ride a motorcycle,
    sounding off & sounding like the idiots they are …..
    Nobody knows (at least that I’ve heard) what started all of this before the camera got turned on
    Thank Goodness for Cyril for giving us the real story, some insight and a place to vent…
    And for all of you folks out there saying what a bunch of punks they are, imagine somebody running over YOUR best buddy while you are out on your next ride & the cager behind or next to you is on their
    cell / texting or just not paying attention!!!!! What would YOUR reaction be??
    (Get on your new 2014 Bluetooth equipped bike & call 911 & wait 2 hrs for a response???)

20. 20 Terence Tory Oct 1st, 2013 at 5:28 pm

If any bunch of bikers in a clump stopped and surrounded me in a situation like that with family or frails in the truck and I’d have no issue at all mowing five down and driving straight over the lot.I respect idiots and dangerous,but fools are another thing.I suspect a lot of these “street wise tough guys” really think they are something, AND believe their own BS.I know old men and women that race and ride about twice as fast as these wayward childs.They should get to a race track or dragway and strut their stuff (after jail).

The driver did leave the scene of an injured guy with a broken leg.which is dumb to begin with.

Cops need more nightsticks and need to use them a little more.It works on pigs and other lesser breads to instil order and a modicum of respect.

21. 21 GitReal Oct 1st, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Punk ass thugs on rice rockets.

An eighteen wheeler would of took em out nicely.

22. 22 CafeSportyTC Oct 1st, 2013 at 6:10 pm

mr dick, nice blanket statement….

23. 23 Dave Blevins Oct 1st, 2013 at 7:48 pm

In my home state many fine American citizens (myself and my wife included), have a concealed carry deadly weapon permit, and legally carry a firearm on a daily basis. I remember very clearly in the training course that if a person(s) approaches you while you are in your car and exhibits behavior to make you feel your life is at risk, you are within your right to use DEADLY FORCE to protect yourself, or even someone else.
    I certainly would have been careful around the bikers because I am a rider myself and extend every courtesy to bikes when I am driving my car or truck, but if this would have been me, I would have put rounds on the target(s), and reached for leg iron if I ran out of ammo. This type of behavior makes all bikers look bad and it’s just inexcusable, illegal, and if you do it to the wrong guy… deadly.

24. 24 David Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Cyril..Please do a update on this as I listened to the evening news that told this story. they said the bikers were out looking for and causing trouble because they had been turned back or rerouted away from an outlaw stunt event in the downtown manhattan area. They were pissed off and looking to cause trouble because the Police wouldnt let them get to their big public street OUTLAW Stunt event. They had already caused several other problems with traffic.
    If it was to happen here in Texas the two guys bashing their helmets would be laying on the ground from GSW’s.

SSDD; David

Mr. Dick….I also agree with your observations!

It’s kind of like the story of the three young punks from Oklahoma shooting down the guy out jogging…If you want to run wild and live like it was the Old West then die by those same standards…I say build a set of Gallows and Publicly hang the three morons…see if that helps any!!

25. 25 Sharrack Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I AM THE KNIGHTRIDER!
    A fuel injected suicide machine!

I give that guy credit for piledriving those bikes to get away.
    I was actually expecting to see one guy on a vespa !

26. 26 Squid Squisher Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I ride in the Tri-state area a lot and these jerks annoy the hell out of me. They constantly hold up & block traffic so they can do their silly stunts and get pissed off when you try to pass them. They act like they are entitled to hold up traffic, and get this weird mob mentality and act like they are invincible. I feel sorry the guy was paralyzed but wtf? He was asking for trouble. They give bikers a bad rep.

27. 27 dmitriy Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Apparently the guy who is paralyzed was helping the guy who got knocked off after brake-checking the SUV:

28. 28 Will Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:08 am

I see people referring to the idiots as bikers. Stop doing that. They’re idiots and we don’t need to be associated with them…

29. 29 ROGUE Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:21 am

Good News: Tonight on the Diane Sawyer ABC News show they showed the Video of the man in the hospital.
    There was also the comment that the police were going to further investigate the driver of the Land Rover.
    The video clearly shows the Land Rover hitting one of the motorcyclists.
    What happens after that is not totally clear But it was indicated that the driver of the Land Rover tried to leave the scene and his tires were cut to try and stop him.
    It then shows the Land Rover driving over other motorcycles and riders.
    The Land Rover is now fleeing the scene of a collision. Motorcyclist chases him until he gets caught in traffic. One of the motorcyclist break the driver’s window with a helmet, (they are good for something) The driver is pulled from the vehicle and reported to be assaulted. Reports are that one of the motorcyclists was arrested and charged. Not sure of exactly for what at this time.
    I should note there is no indication that anything was done towards the passengers in the vehicle.
    This has come about because motorcycle riders objected to how the original story aired and that it did not have all of what happened. Now that this information has been brought out It Is A Whole Different Story.
    The drive of the Land Rover Did Hit a Motorcyclist with his vehicle and did attempt to flee the scene. People tried to stop him and he ran over others and continued to flee.
    The driver was removed from the vehicle to stop him from attempting to flee again. There may be some question on how much force was necessary to subdue him. No More Than What Law Enforcement Would Do I am Sure.
    The person that was arrested for removing the driver will have his day in court to explain his actions But All Motorcyclist Must Demand The Driver Of The Land Rover Be Charged As Well.

30. 30 ROGUE Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:47 am
  31. 31 Wilhelm Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:18 am

Bunch of jerks.

32. 32 mot ikswelborw Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:31 am

well you’re not going to have a carry permit New York they don’t allow that ..
    and the American Motorcycle Association in this instance should spend some money and run some adds ,, positives aspects of motorcycle .
    and explaining these Raiders we’re not the norm…

33. 33 FlaNativ Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:33 am

If the driver of the SUV had a traffic crash with one of the motorcyclists and left the scene,why not get his tag and report it like normal civilized people. But no, acting like a bunch of thugs and a pack of animals they chase the guy and his family down exacting some”street justice” . The so-called motorcycle activists want to put the blame on the SUV driver, But the film,even thought it doesn’t show what started this,indicates that mobile mob was in full attack mode. Personally if I had been driving that vehicle there would have been crumpled bikes and mangled bodies for blocks. As for the thug in the hospital,sorry for your bad luck.

34. 34 calif phil Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:54 am

Those are not bikers, just thugs on bikes. If they tried that with me I would have introduced them to my good friend Mr. Kimber.

35. 35 Cantrell Oct 2nd, 2013 at 8:00 am

Stop using the term Bikers. Bikers they are not!

Cantrell

36. 36 Buster Oct 2nd, 2013 at 8:51 am

I wonder what the whole story here is.

37. 37 Woody's Oct 2nd, 2013 at 9:20 am

It’s very simplistic to just say the SUV, “left the scene of an accident”. We’re very lucky the Police confiscated the helmet cam to get this video or I’m sure the first part of what we see (and everything preceding it) would have been deleted. This wasn’t just some silly accident, the biker that brake-checked the SUV made a deliberate choice impede the SUV while it was surrounded by his fellow riders. When you cut in front of somebody and hit the brakes you have to accept that one of two things is gonna happen next-you get hit or you don’t. There’s no no way in hell any sane person with family in his car is gonna stick around when he’s been trapped and bikers are running at his vehicle. Like a horse bolting from a burning barn-anything in front of it it gonna get trampled. Poor choices were made by the group, and poor choices have consequences. Anybody here never wrote a body check for too big an amount?

38. 38 Jay Horton's Private Shop Oct 2nd, 2013 at 9:33 am

There’s much more that lead up to this event than is being reasonably presented. I did a little research and found these tapes on a site:

This is bad stuff all the way around……

Best to everyone,

Later Jay

39. 39 Rodent Oct 2nd, 2013 at 9:51 am

There are two sides to this story, then there’s the truth!

40. 40 BobS Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:55 am

Here’s some truths:
    It’s never legal for a group of riders to surround a family in an SUV and bring all lanes of they freeway to a dead stop.
    It’s never ok to slash someone’s tires even to stop them from “fleeing the scene”.
    It’s never ok to smash the windows of an SUV with a family in it, drag the driver out and beat him. Even if it’s to stop him from “fleeing the scene”.
    It’s never ok for a group of riders to take up all lanes of the freeway and bring traffic to a hault…just for “fun”.
    Two wrongs, or in this case 5 or 6 wrongs never makes a right. There is no excuse for these riders to behave the way they did regardless of what preceded what we saw on tape.

41. 41 Tobby Oct 2nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

A few additional items in this investigation:

The police are examining “dozens” of traffic cameras in and around the area which they say shows the entire event.

The police also noted that 911 was called immediately as the event unfolded by the SUV. They have not release the call recording, but several attorneys noted that if he called for help and reported the accident that it would negate any charge of leaving the scene of the accident.

If it is determined that the group was in the process of committing a crime (blocking traffic, reckless driving), which resulted in an injury (or death) then ALL of the riders in that group could be charged as co-conspirators in the entire crime which included the attack on the driver ( a felony).

Stay tuned.

42. 42 live2rideaglide Oct 2nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hoodlums not bikers.

43. 43 1550tc Oct 2nd, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Race is now brought up……i thought Johnny Cockeroach died……in a southern republican state this video would be a lil different and have 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 hits on U tube LOL

we can all speculate what we would do, but in the end nobody would win…..mis fortune this happens and paints all us riders no matter what color we are, with the same brush 🙁

44. 44 Rick Lossner Oct 2nd, 2013 at 2:15 pm

They got easy . If that shit happened when i was in my dually … NYC would be short a few more crackheads

45. 45 rob Oct 2nd, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Most of these “riders” don’t have licenses or insurance. if you look closely you’ll see a few off road only bikes. There are are a lot of these groups around the NYC area.They feel empowered because the cops are not allowed to chase them………………..Thanks to the bleeding heart libs on the city council.

46. 46 Blackmax Oct 2nd, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Ok, now that race has been brought up, my question remains (as always)
    What the hell does that have to do with anything ????
    Right is right, wrong is wrong & assholes are assholes, no matter what race or creed you are !!!
    Bob S. is right on, if this whole thing was started because a group was “stunting”
    that’s illegal no matter where you are. But I have been in the middle of ths kind of thing
    and either I pull over & wait for them to pass or speed up & get the heck out of their way.
    I don;t go all “road rage” & do anything threatning (“Stand your Ground) or physical to the biker(s) because that will cause a “no win” confrontation also.
    You don;t get to “tap” the rear end of a bike or run over bikers just because you’re a little late in getting to where you are going. And you don’t get to run over riders, their property and/or shoot people off the road because there are more than 2 or 3 of them !!!!
    Seems like this is a definate case of 2 wrongs do not make either one, right !
    Both should be cited ( driver for vehicular assault & leaving the scene of an accident)
    (biker[s] for illegal operation, obstructing traffic, assault & battery)
    Both should have to go to court & both should have to answer for their actions,
    regardless of circumstances

47. 47 Chris Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wow Rick, because their race has been brought into the issue, they must be crack heads?

Rob, because they are minorities you can automatically assume that they aren’t licensed or insured? And this is a bleeding heart liberal issue because the police force has determined that engaging in a high speed chase with a motorcycle isn’t safe? C’mon man!

48. 48 Woody's Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:25 pm

@blackmax, I’m curious if you took the time 20+ minutes to wacth the videos from Jay Horton? I think all your questions will be answered.

49. 49 texastim Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:39 pm

The first guy he hit pulled in front of him and proceeded to slow down, causing the car to hit him, looks like the driver stopped and was surrounded buy the MC guys who proceeded to slash tires and hit the car. The guy then panicked and sped off hitting 3 bikes and the one poor guy who got hit. It is all in the vid, it was not the drivers fault. The MC guys can blame themselves for being assholes an putting their friend in harms way. Oh, and never take a bike to a car fight. Dumbasses.

50. 50 nicker Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:45 pm

….max,

RE:
    “…e this is a definate case of 2 wrongs do not make either one, right …”

Spot on dude.
    Sowing down in front of a 2 ton SUV has got to be about the dumbest thing anyone could do…

Staying that close to the back of any thing is equally as stupid.

HOWEVER…. when you say:

RE:
    “…if a driver had injured one of my group that I was a “road captain” for you can bet you ass I would go after them ….”

Doesn’t sound like you understand the role of a “Road Captain.”
    Because these people obviously didn’t have a clue what it means to run an organized ride.
    Or, for that matter, simply ride together without risking each others lives.

Clearly this wasn’t a “group”…
    The best description would be “a swarm.”
    Hell the wasps in my bare are more organized at buzzing about.
    I wonder how many of-em ran into each other just riding around.

-nicker-

51. 51 Matt W. Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:59 am

*Sigh* Guess I will get to look forward to seeing this video presented by the local citizens trying to get the Bikes, Blues, & B.B.Q. rally canceled every year.

52. 52 THHN Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Story in the Boston globe – http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/10/01/lawrence-man-seriously-injured-nyc-incident-involving-suv-and-motorcyclists/jHju3V1xAOsdF6Q2vT8BaL/story.html

—————————————————————————————————————————

Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999. His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.

53. 53 99RK Oct 4th, 2013 at 8:08 am

What would have happened had the driver been a gun carrier and the assaulting bikers didn’t know till it was too late? The driver would have been totally justified in blowing those idiots away – That’s what I would have done in his place!

54. 54 Jay Horton's Private Shop Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Interesting developments I noticed today:

Too many varied interests, too much self-righteous indignation searching for vindication and too little respect for others that’s what fueled this incident.

This will be a real interesting ride (pun intended).

Best to everyone,

Later Jay

55. 55 RJ Oct 4th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Allot of racists on this site…obviously!

56. 56 Grey Beard Oct 5th, 2013 at 9:56 am

I sure hope these assholes who started all this is happy now that one of the buddies is parrallized . Wonder if their gonna get a sidehack so in the future they can take their buddy for a ride.

57. 57 GitReal Oct 7th, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Seems to me they are Punk ass thugs contrary to the attorney’s statements.

Same helmet cam same YouTube account….

Tis tis tis.

GitReal

58. 58 Blackmax Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Woody, no I had not seen Jay’s Videos, as i have not been on the blog for a few days.
    But, thank you for pointing them out …
    Nicker. ol buddy …..
    Yes, I do understand the role & responsiblities of a “road captain” as I have been serving in that capacity for SEVERAL charity organizations in my area for about 20+ years or so & I am constantly
    be asked to organize, plan routes & instruct new ride leaders.
    Having viewed the videos, I agree, No, this was no charity ride & it appears there is very little if ANY structure to it at all. Therefore, while I still stand by my earlier post in the given situation of a structed
    organized Charity/Group ride. i agree that this is only a “mob” operating under mob mentality.
    I still think it’s easier to avoid a group like this, but you don;t get to run over them or shoot thme either. Some (body) with common sense has to prevail.
    As stated, Charge them ALL & let the law take it’s course …….

59. 59 Pat H Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

And of course mama went on TV and said it’s all the SUV driver’s fault for running over her boy to save their own lives.

Crusher