8 Hours To Turn An Ugly Harley FXR Into A Club Style Bike

A1 Cycles, an independent custom shop in West Palm Palm Beach challenged itself to be able to turn in 8 hours a really ugly (I saw it…) 1989 FXR into a Club style bike. The guys at the shop ride FXR’s and just wanted to prove themselves they could do it. To be truthful, it took an extra hour to complete the full assembly and electrical job due to a bottom fork tube hardened bolt that had to be drilled out. These cats had the time to lunch, except the boss Mike Beland who had to drill out the hardened bolt…8 hours of hard work summarized in 1′ 58″. Enjoy.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

23 Responses to “8 Hours To Turn An Ugly Harley FXR Into A Club Style Bike”

1. 1 Kurt Jun 28th, 2014 at 8:56 am

Kewl. They look very tired.

2. 2 John Hubbard Jun 28th, 2014 at 8:58 am

Yep. But it takes more than 8 hours to become a Club member…

3. 3 Shifter Jun 28th, 2014 at 9:00 am

Camera should be closer to the bike.

4. 4 Rodent Jun 28th, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hope they made some bucks on GoPro’s IPO!

5. 5 Ed Jun 28th, 2014 at 9:16 am

What a great crew. Love FXRs and Mike and his guys did a great job with this. FXR Cartel, all day, every day.

6. 6 Jusmecuz Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

@John Hubbard – So very true.

7. 7 Jusmecuz Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Instead of “Ugly” I would use the phrase “Aesthetically challenged”… I just don’t like to use the words ugly & FXR in the same sentence.. well, unless some nut-job crams a 36″ front wheel under it – diff story there.

8. 8 tussuck Jun 29th, 2014 at 8:15 am

Club Style….Tragic style.

9. 9 fhp scott Jun 29th, 2014 at 10:45 am

MIke and the guys from A-1,

Congratulations for continuing to push yourself in ways that most never fathom.

Mike has built a business based on knowledge and customer service. This is the attribute that many businesses do not envision. That is one of the reasons A-1 is still in business and many other have failed.

…and for all the haters who continuously post negative comments on this site no matter what the post

…let’s see what you can do….I’m sure Cyril will have no problem posting your talent.

Keep on rockin’ MIke…

10. 10 Steve Carr Jun 29th, 2014 at 11:42 am

Excellent !

Steve Carr

11. 11 Septic the Sceptic Jun 29th, 2014 at 5:10 pm

How to take HD’s best ever motorcycle and turn it into an absurd parody.

12. 12 Tim Jun 29th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Mike, Great job. You always supprise me when I would walk in. Great job thinking out of the norm. Keep up the great work. All though you ticked me off with this one because I was thinki9ng about doing a FXR. Well I will just have to wait a little longer and do it different. Good job and even better using the GoPro to boldly go where other shops just say”oh can’t do that!” Miss you guys. Hope my replacement is taking good care of ya and next time I am down there I will stop in.

13. 13 pops Jun 29th, 2014 at 7:05 pm

well I must say he sure looked like a poser driving off wearing shorts

14. 14 A1 mike Jun 29th, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Pops..it’s 90 degrees out.. I wear shorts..and what I wear on my body has nothing to do with the bike. Your comment shows your vision and understanding of the bike world! . Septic, Absurd parody? Upgrading brakes to 2000 up specs,a well built 80 inch motor, upgraded shocks and front fork internals, stretched tank, bassani’s latest 2 into 1 pipe, single fire programmable ignition, and a mikuni carb? If that’s absurd I would love to see your bike! I’m actually amazed by the lack of keyboard haters on this one.. And the guys that like it understand bikes and riding not posing.we have been in business 19 years and will not be going anywhere.. Put up or shut up. Anyone wanna race, ride or build against my crew? Any style any brand anytime.

15. 15 Steve Carr Jun 29th, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Mike,

As always, those that can’t, Always provide negative and or completely useless comments. Those that can, either don’t comment or provide positive comments.

That’s just the way it is, you know what you are doing, keep on doing it!

Steve Carr

16. 16 Tim Jun 29th, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Great job Mike, you never cease to impress me. A great custom builder can create trendsetting works of art, a great mechanic can squeeze every last bit of performance out of a bike, you have the talent and the ability to do both. Putting this bike together in 8 hours shows a level of knowledge and proficiency that few have and this wasn’t just a bullshit frame swap, either.

To all the haters, take Mike up on his offer. Ride with him, race against him, build against him, or just spend a few minutes at his shop. This motherfucker knows his shit.

17. 17 Brumby Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:40 am

A bike for riders, not writers…

18. 18 BCinSoCal Jun 30th, 2014 at 9:41 am

Brumby, right on! To all you haters out there who probably have no bike, just a key board in your moms basement. Keep typing! That isn’t a Club Style bike just a clean hot rod FXR, I’m riding one at this time and have been since the first shovelhead versions. Club Style bikes are those flat black Dynas
    With the silly rabbit ear bars and a little fairing, ala Sons of Malarkey, loved by all the wannabes

19. 19 Kroeter Jun 30th, 2014 at 9:52 am

That is pretty cool, love the time lapse video. Nice work.

20. 20 805FXDX Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:16 am

Club style huh? So all i have to do is put on rises and pipe?

21. 21 TJ Martin Jun 30th, 2014 at 11:03 am

FXR ? Ugly ? More like the best riding and handling Big Twin the company has ever built . As well one of the best stepping off platforms for customizing ala Arlen Ness , Dave Perewitz etc as well as my own VinnieDavidson riff on a Vincent . Ugly indeed !

22. 22 Mack Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:05 pm

OUSTANDING JOB!…..love the bike …wearing shorts when it’s hot is common sense …I get a kick out of the village people look …chaps in august ….Mike and his guys are the real deal

23. 23 Heavy Metal Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:08 am

Good job. It would take me 8 hours to make a mess of the wiring much less build the bike.