The New Indian Scout The Way You Never Saw It. Naked.

Scout1Scout2Not surprisingly, I receive daily a flurry of emails , mostly technical questions, regarding the all-new 2015 Indian Scout. You want to know more about the engine and 6-speed transmission. So, let me summarize again the available info, followed by some CAD renderings that Indian Motorcycle graciously provided to me.

The 2015 Indian Scout is powered by an all-new, in-house designed and proprietary 69 cubic inch V-twin engine that combines all the design, power and reliability elements that made the original Scouts unbeatable and mates it with state-of-the-art components and modern technologies for smooth, flawless power throughout the power band:

Scout5Scout3Scout4- Liquid-cooled design for 100 HP of power, along with enhanced durability and reliability
- Out of respect for the legendary Scouts of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, the 2015 Scout carries forward classic engine design cues with purposeful styling that intends to honor both form and function
- Closed loop fuel injection and drive-by-wire throttle actuation mated to a 6-speed overdrive transmission for peak torque of 72 ft./lbs. of torque at 5900 RPM

Scout8Scout6Scout7Engine Type: Liquid Cooled V-Twin

Displacement: 69 cu in
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Electronic Fuel Injection System: Closed loop fuel injection / 60 mm bore
Drive/Driven Clutch: Wet, Multi-Plate
Transmission/Primary Drive: Gear Drive Wet Clutch
Horsepower (HP): 100 (74.7 kW) Peak Torque (J1349 ft-lbs): 72.2 ft-lbs. (97.7 Nm)
Peak Torque RPM: 5900 rpm.
Scout9

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

42 Responses to “The New Indian Scout The Way You Never Saw It. Naked.”

1. 1 TodT Aug 22nd, 2014 at 8:37 am

Very cool CAD renderings.

2. 2 BobS Aug 22nd, 2014 at 8:59 am

Where are the engines made?

3. 3 Ray Shaft Aug 22nd, 2014 at 9:24 am

At Polaris plant.

4. 4 Madrivermotorcompany Aug 22nd, 2014 at 9:43 am

See how easy a different rear (monoshock) suspension will bolt onto this platform?

5. 5 Bruce Reynard Aug 22nd, 2014 at 9:46 am

You must admire and respect Polaris for the ground up job accomplished since they bought all the Indian name rights and assets only 3 years ago.

6. 6 HD Rider Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:42 am

How easy is it to adjust the valves and at what frequency?

Is the engine, transmission and primary oil shared?

Is this a wet sump engine?

7. 7 nicker Aug 22nd, 2014 at 11:59 am

Top end just begs for a flat-side classic gas tank that has reliefs in it to “window” those cool cam-boxes.

-nicker-

8. 8 Rodent Aug 22nd, 2014 at 1:49 pm

At least the big Indians have a resemblance to their past this thing don’t resemble anything.

9. 9 laurence zankowski Aug 22nd, 2014 at 4:04 pm

cyril,

i keep looking at this and I go and look at the KTM engine cut aways on the web. I don’t know but it seems that the Polaris folks have a KTM engineer working with them.
    does anyone know if KTM has invested in Polaris or Polaris has invested in KTM?

laurence

10. 10 morpion Aug 22nd, 2014 at 5:42 pm

RODENT ,i agree with you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. 11 KP Aug 22nd, 2014 at 8:03 pm

It is lighter weight than a big cruiser, has lots of power from a v-twin not borrowed from someone else, exemplary handling, according to reports…

What is it exactly that this brand new Indian motorcycle has to resemble? The Indian Scout was renowned for the aforementioned attributes. Not everyone loved it then, either.

12. 12 Jusmecuz Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Timing belts….fun

13. 13 Paul Aug 23rd, 2014 at 6:12 am

Single oil, 15w-60 I think I read

14. 14 Shifter Aug 23rd, 2014 at 6:15 am

Too complex for me!

15. 15 Clasqm Aug 23rd, 2014 at 7:34 am

@madrivermotorcompany: yup, expect to see a Scout Sport this time next year.

@KP: if anything they went too far in making it look like the old Scout. The angle of the rear shocks means they will lock up at the slightest hint of stiction, but it looks hardtail-ish, so on it went.

In terms of bikes i have owned before, this has as much power as my Suzuki C109, but it weighs just ten pounds more than the Honda Shadow 750. Dressed up in that gorgeous dieselpunk styling … Better reserve yours now, because they will be flying off the dealership floors.

16. 16 Bruce Reynard Aug 23rd, 2014 at 7:38 am

I hear that pre-orders are very good.

17. 17 Magic Butt Aug 23rd, 2014 at 7:39 am

Hey Jusmecuz, those are chains not belts. They should be good for the life of the bike.

18. 18 Harlan Aug 23rd, 2014 at 8:07 am

Great article and explanation. New design for the future…….We are in the future or you can live in the past.

19. 19 Seymour Aug 23rd, 2014 at 8:08 am

RODENT that’s what I like best about it. It has to stand on its own. Kudos Indian.

20. 20 Keller Aug 23rd, 2014 at 8:18 am

Cyril said it right in his road test. If you want outdated technology, ride a pre-1953 Indian. Others will ride the new Scout.

21. 21 Matt W. Aug 23rd, 2014 at 8:22 am

Impressive piece of engineering. Kinda surprised that Indian doesn’t have a name for it’s latest monster mill like the ‘Thunder Stroke 111′.

22. 22 Tom Aug 23rd, 2014 at 11:27 am

Custom covers would help hide those head side that clash with design.

23. 23 Mike Aug 23rd, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Jusmecuz, they are timing chains, not belts. Indian using a similar timing chain set-up as Victory. Very stout and reliable.

24. 24 Rob Aug 23rd, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Mike: you got it,they should have named it the “Stout”!

25. 25 Double J Aug 24th, 2014 at 9:52 am

These images only make me want one more. Having ridden the 2015 Indian Scout was a teaser. I want to ride it everywhere

26. 26 Mazz Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:18 am

I guess it’s a matter of taste, and I understand Indian built this bike for a younger audience, there’s no doubt the technology is there however,still looks like a V-Fury to me.

27. 27 Greeko Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:27 am

Mazz. Looking like a V-Fury??? Put your glasses on!

28. 28 Roddie Aug 25th, 2014 at 8:28 am

Well done, Indian

29. 29 Robert Pandya Aug 25th, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hello all –

The valve adjustment is via graded bucket – meaning the cam buckets have different thicknesses for adjustment. Basically the shims are part of the bucket. The benefit here is fewer parts, and no chance that you can drop a shim into the engine. Eases engine assembly for cost savings, and lightens the valve train for durability as this engine spins to 8300 rpm. There are no belts except the final drive – self-adjusting cam chains run the top end.

Also the valves need to be checked at 20,000 miles – not necessarily adjusted if still in spec, but checked.

It is a unit engine that incorporates the 15w-60 synthetic oil into the crankcases including the 6-speed transmission. It’s very easy to perform the 5000 mile oil change intervals via a spin-on filter and a couple of drain plugs under the engine.

The engine was designed to last a long time – both for the final rider and in production. It’s strong and has more potential in it of course. It’s a global production engine that meets homologation requirements in many countries to increase the availability of exporting American motorcycles around the World.

About the engine not looking like something out of the 50′s – let me put it this way – we are building the brand for its future while respecting not repeating the past. If you have to own an air-cooled engine that makes 40% less power and is limited in capabilities there is that option on the market. We chose to create something better than that.

The engines were designed by our own engineers at Swissauto (a company we own) and in Wyoming MN. They come together in Osceola Wisconsin, at the same plant as every Victory engine ever made, and every Thunderstroke 111 and Scout engine ever made. Final assembly is out of Spirit Lake Iowa where every new Indian (Scout and Chief) and every new Victory is made.

Now – as far as the hate goes – I (personally) fully believe that if we simply copied the Sportster and stuck and Indian badge on the side the same people would howl in disgust. We know that there are those who simply choose to not like Indian Motorcycle and gain something from bashing the brand. Indian has had its share of an up and down history – and we are now at the start of a very strong “up”. – whether you like it or not.

The brand is here to stay. It is led by strong people (The Vice President Steve Menneto was recently named Motorcyclist of the year by Motorcyclist Magazine) making excellent products (4 cruiser of the year awards and counting) backed by a strong company in PII (those of you with stick are smiling) and built across several states in the US.

For those who are open to a new experience – welcome and we hope you enjoy the ride. For those of you who have bought an Indian – congratulations and thank you.

After a month of travel and work – I’m taking the day off – but felt it important to answer the questions here. Thanks for the coverage Cyril – and may the rest of you have a smooth week too.

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

30. 30 Ron Martin Aug 25th, 2014 at 9:37 am

Looks like Awesome bike for a good price ! Only time will tell ! Good luck Indian Motorcycle!

31. 31 Mazz Aug 25th, 2014 at 10:51 am

Blogs are designed for opinion, not all opinions are going to be favourable and not all opinions going to reflect that of the majority. Opinions are like bellybuttons, right? I am happy to see Indian return, very happy. I simply do not like the Scout, simple as that but, I also know that Scout was not designed for people of my age group, that’s left for the Chief, which I would own in a heartbeat if my finances and a dealer in my area would come around. I am glad to hear Indian reps say over and over, “We are here to stay”, as well they should. As mentioned, as soon as I can afford to buy a Chief, I will have one in my garage. Also, I would like to see a Scout soon in my part of the world and hope Indian nothing else but success.

32. 32 Davenport MC Aug 25th, 2014 at 10:57 am

Mazz, I think that the new Scout is for all ages. I think it’s what Cyril tried to explain.

33. 33 roadoiler Aug 25th, 2014 at 11:44 am

I think the Scout motor reveals more about Polaris and their view of what a motorcycle power plant should be, than what they know about tradition.
    With the Chief, they were inspired by the S&S X-Wedge motor, not that they didn’t work at it, but at least they came up with what looks like an air cooled motorcycle engine with some design elements similar to the side valve chief motor.
    The original Scout engine- design had been very similar to the Chief motor, but on a smaller scale.
    H-D basically made a unit construction 45, with the K -Model- which evolved into an OHV motor, and though H-D has completely redesigned the XL motor and running gear a few times, they do the ‘LOOK’. The result is the XL model is almost timeless no matter what year bike you own.

Polaris’s Scout motor has absolutely no connection with their chief motor, or any visual connection to the vintage scout. The engine is more akin to a Rotax motor, not a bad thing unless you bought Indian to honor the past and get a chance to play the ‘motorcycle heritage card’.
    and the lay down , outboard shocks? I don’t see any connection with the Scout heritage and their new motor. Except for the name and tank badge.

Maybe no one will care-
    my 2 cents.

34. 34 Rod Aug 25th, 2014 at 11:53 am

I have ridden both the new chief and the bagger Harley back to back, on the same roads. The new Chief is faster than a standard Harley, it takes a Stage 1 or 2 to make the Harley run with it. I am sure if indian does not, all the other tuners will have kits for the engine, then it will be a contest. I thought the Indian had better ride, and a little better brakes.

I could be happy with either,. What was funny is some Harley riding friends called it a hunk of junk without ever riding it. Harley better keep these folks happy, cause there is a new game in town.

A suggestion, Polaris needs to look at the way Harley runs their demo trucks, and copy their process. They have it very streamlined. Also Harley had a 4 hour demo ride program Indian might want to copy that too. Either that or set up a program with the dealers where prospective buyers can rent a bike for a day and the rental applies to any purchase.

Bring the scouts to Bikes Blues and BBQ in Fayetville Ar please I want to ride one.

Rod

35. 35 Robert Pandya Aug 25th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Roadoiler – -

Had you ever considered that the X-Wedge style itself may have been inspired by the Springfield era Chief Engines? And of course the Thunderstroke 111 was inspired by the 1948 era Chief engine as we stated at the introduction last spring. Thus they could have some resemblance – however they are not the same. Like a Chevy and a Ford V-8.

The TS111 has gear driven cams, features a unit engine construction integrating the transmission via a direct primary drive (crank direct to clutch – no chains, belts or idler gears) an internal semi-dry sump tank and ETC not to mention a different Vee angle and displacement.

Yes, they have both feature parallel pushrod tubes and three cams – because that is how you get a compact engine with parallel pushrod tubes to create a style reminiscent of the vintage Chief engines – certainly an engine worth emulating from aesthetics alone.

Inspiration vs. execution = differing opinions. Ain’t life grand!?

Ride on –

Robert Pandya
    External Relations Manager
    Indian Motorcycle

36. 36 Woody Aug 25th, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Much easier to label people as haters than address the actual points they bring up. Once you label someone you can dehumanize and dismiss them easier.

37. 37 BobS Aug 25th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for all the info Robert, love what you guys are doing!

38. 38 Blackmax Aug 25th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Thank you again Robert for interjecting common sense into the madness that is the blogosphere ….
    C’mon people it’s NEW !!!
    Can’t make the same bike they did back in the 1920′s, 30′s & 40′s
    Who would buy one if they did ?? Very few I would imagine…
    This is an exciting new product that carries forth an old marquee name.
    I won’t get to test one until Sept. 17th but when I do I have a sneaky suspicion
    that I’m going to like it a LOT more than I do now.
    (And, I like it a lot already )

39. 39 Lugnut Aug 26th, 2014 at 7:27 am

As much as we want to revere the past – it is forever the past. No one is building anything like a ’69 SS 396, or a ’69 Ranchero with a 428 and the shaker hood. That old BSA that slapped the right rear of my leg too many times belongs where it is – in the early 70′s where I left it behind.

I hate it, but there ain’t a damn thing I can do about it. I was thinking about my Mama the other day, may God rest her soul. I recall all the great memories. I wondered what she would tell me today and it came to me that she would thank me for remembering, and then tell me to get off my rear and go make some more memories.

If some of those memories came on a new Indian, Scout or not, then I would be glad to make them on whatever Indian or Harley is producing. Thanks to both for managing to give us all something to talk about.

40. 40 Matt W. Aug 26th, 2014 at 7:54 am

Thanks for the insight Robert. It does strike me as kinda ironic that we are so nostalgic for the time when American motorcycles weren’t nostalgic. And thanks to Indian & Victory for helping to make the next generation’s nostalgia ;)

41. 41 Robert Pandya Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Old is still available – plenty of vintage and restorations shops out there and easier to find than ever. You want a Pan Head kickstarter – build it. Call Kiwi Mike for a new Springfield Chief if that is what you have to have. Looking for new with a warranty and dealer network? Try an SR 400 scrambler project or buy a Royal Enfield if you want to tinker. Or simply rescue a used bike.

There has never been a better time to enjoy motorcycling – new or old. That is the simple fact – there are loads of options and great machines out there, and against the wave of legislation compressing our places to ride (on and off-road), the increased leverage of safety-crats in our legislatures and our ridership (generally) failing to fund and back-up AMA and other voices on our behalf – you had better enjoy riding now! Things will get tougher in the future. No less rewarding to be on two wheels – but don’t take it for granted.

Robert Pandya
    Motorcycle Fan

42. 42 Alpha Aug 28th, 2014 at 2:16 pm

First of all I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like
    to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself
    and clear your mind before writing.