Flashback. 1965 Harley-Davidson XLR TT

1965HDXLRTTPromo06212015Photography @ Doug Mitchel for Cyril Huze

14 Responses to “Flashback. 1965 Harley-Davidson XLR TT”

1. 1 zipper Jul 8th, 2015 at 9:33 am

The 60’s series Sportsters and the XR750 are some of the nicest looking bikes ever produced, and the XLR was the original Superbike. I can remember taking Sportsters out of the crates in 65 and drooling on a few XLR’s. If I owned this one it would be in my office with the XR & T120. ..Z

2. 2 NoH2oh Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:32 am

This is what I think of when I think of a motorcycle. Nothing else needed except maybe a headlight to make it tag ready.

3. 3 M.J.H. Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:56 am

In the early 70′ I was working for Ivy’s H-D in Grand Prairie, TX. The owner ordered a XR750 to race on the mile tracks in area. When we un-crated it, we realized something was very different,- it had no brakes- the clutch leaver on the left bar and on the other side a short leaver? It was a compression release used as the brakes. It worked just fine on the mile tracks but not on the 1/2 mile tracks. We put disk brakes on it before the factory put disk on their production bikes.

4. 4 Herb Jul 8th, 2015 at 3:47 pm

What a pretty little bike

5. 5 Woody's Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Love it-it’s just begging to go out and play.

6. 6 Blackmax Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Minimal & functional. love it !!!!
    Why did they ever stop making these !!!
    Damn fine lookin’ bike !!!!

7. 7 Dave Blevins Jul 8th, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I like this bike, if I owned this thing it would be getting dirty & bug covered immediately.

8. 8 richards Jul 8th, 2015 at 5:51 pm

It is absolutely beautiful in it’s simplicity and focus.

9. 9 SIGFREED Jul 9th, 2015 at 5:06 am

With El’Zippo (for once),

This is back when Harley’s were still natural beauties.

Beauty resides in simplicity (more so elegant beauty), but also, it is in visual lightness. It is therefor a bit bizarre that when modern technology (eg electronics and such) have become exponentially smaller – we persist to produce machines that look over-weight and cluttered.

The ‘check and stripes’ tank badge is equally one of the prettiest.

10. 10 Don R Jul 9th, 2015 at 6:38 am

I have always had a thing for Sportsters and this one is just so pure, simple and beautiful in every way. If it’s not needed for the job at hand it’s not there cluttering up the pure functional mechanical beauty of the machine.

My first Harley, when I was 17, was a 1967 XLCH with a lot of motor work for the time. Crazy torque and very fast. It still amazes me that I survived owning that bike. I have had many Harleys since then but still have a soft spot for Sportsters. I own a 1998 1200S with just over 11k on it and it is my go out blasting and air out my head bike. I also have a 97 Wide Glide and an 06 Heritage that I love and will never sell. But for blasting around town and speeding up freeway entrance ramps nothing is more fun than my 1200S. I will never sell it eother. At 63 I can’t take the pounding I used to, but the 1200S is a kick in the butt every time I take it out.

Ride safely my brothers. Don

11. 11 Sportster Mike Jul 9th, 2015 at 7:16 am

Sweet!
    Thats a ‘proper’ Sportster before they got all overweight and fat… like me then!

12. 12 Drew Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:16 am

I have restored two of these over the years for different people, and must admit even though they weren’t mine it was hard to return them to their owners. 🙂

Personally I like the old sayings……”Ride ’em don’t hide ’em”, or
    “Sportsters, Kickin’ Big Twin ass since 1957

Cyril, Thanks for posting this story.

13. 13 nicker Jul 9th, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Very tasty indeed….!!!!

-nicker-

14. 14 Ed Youngblood Jul 13th, 2015 at 10:01 am

Essential, unadorned beauty! Can picture Joe Leonard sitting on it at Peoria.

Cyril Huze